Hunting accounts using lever guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Hunting accounts using lever guns?

Post by EG73 »

Hey guys,

There’s plenty of writings by the old ivory hunters and their accounts, but are there similar historic accounts (books) about hunters in America using lever guns?

Thanks!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Hunting accounts using lever guns?

Post by AJMD429 »

Dunno but I'll bet T. Roosevelt has some.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scattered among other informative articles, there are a few here: https://www.leverguns.com/articles/Default.htm
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Do an internal search here for member "shrapnel" and if the photos are still there you'll see plenty.....both game taken and vintage leveractions.
m.A.g.a. !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:42 am .
Dunno but I'll bet T. Roosevelt has some.
He does indeed.

Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman, and several others. he was a pretty fair writer, and did some pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hunting ... e&ie=UTF-8

Roosevelt was a big Winchester fan, he had each new model as they came out from the 73, 76, 86, 94 and 95. he mostly had them made to order with high grade wood, checkered, shotgun butt, and other special items. He also had similar guns built for friends and his ranch managers in N Dakota.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Yes, anything written by T. Roosevelt. I have 3 of his books, love em all. My favorite is Townsend Whelen, who used several models of Winchester's Levers, but after the 03 Springfield & 30-06 came out he turned to mostly Bolt Actions.
The best read by far I've ever read is "Red Letter Days in British Columbia" by Whelen! Although only a short story, it's like being there to me!
I have "The Best Hunting Stories Ever Told" by Jay Cassel, which contains Whelens story, + about 5-6 of Roosevelt's best stories including "Old Ephraim ". The book is a collection of lots of different authors, and one the best also is true story by Lt Col J.M. Patterson "The Hunt for the Man Eaters of Tsavo". The true story the movie The Ghost and the Darkness was based upon. This story send you to bed with the creeps!
Also "The Still Hunter" by Theodore S Van Dyke, in late 1800's. This book was Roosevelt's favorite he mentioned reading on his first hunt in the Dakotas to pass the time during bad weather. It's so in depth and technical it kept me confused, scratching my head! Over my head for sure! And anything by Francis Sell is for sure worthy, levergun or not!
Roosevelt was a Winchester Lever Lover, because he lived during the entire highlights of the levers glory days! He even gave his officers in Cuba an 1895 in 30-40 Krag furnished by him if I remember right!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

E.N. Woodcock preferred a .38 w.c.f. 1873 to anything else.....

https://dev.gutenberg.org/ebooks/34063
m.A.g.a. !
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

I'm gonna look into getting that book! Ben Lily the bear hunter, killed plenty Grizzly if I'm not mistaken with an Mod 1886 in 33wcf, probably not considered today a suitable round for that, but not sure? But Teddy Roosevelt hired him once to take him bear hunting. Don't remember how that went.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

During those times leverguns were the only widely available guns that contained more than one round. Bolt actions never made much of an impact until after WW1.

I forgot how many dozens of deer and one elk, a few wild dogs, foxes, even a pigeon and a few crows with an ‘86 in .33 wcf and the 200 gr. Hornady over 42 grains of 3031 and later 44 grains of IMR 4895. Add a 1892 in 32-20 I’ve filled up a few pick up trucks with squirrels.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

P9121177 (3).JPG
Sixgun wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:23 pm During those times leverguns were the only widely available guns that contained more than one round. Bolt actions never made much of an impact until after WW1.

I forgot how many dozens of deer and one elk, a few wild dogs, foxes, even a pigeon and a few crows with an ‘86 in .33 wcf and the 200 gr. Hornady over 42 grains of 3031 and later 44 grains of IMR 4895. Add a 1892 in 32-20 I’ve filled up a few pick up trucks with squirrels.
YEP, with this being my biggest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts