Tested the .45 Colt Green Dot loads today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Tested the .45 Colt Green Dot loads today

Post by JimT »

at 50 yards.
The wind was pretty gusty and I had difficulty seeing the sights on the 50 yard range. These are a couple of the better groups I fired.
IMG_6280.JPG
This was a great group but almost totally off the paper!
IMG_6279.JPG
Green Dot seems to be a pretty accurate powder in the .45 Colt and the .45 ACP. It's fairly inexpensive compared to other powders ... or at least it was when I bought it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tested the .45 Colt Green Dot loads today

Post by marlinman93 »

Green Dot was one of the first powders I ever loaded with in my handguns. Used it in .38 Special, .45 Colt, 9mm and .45ACP, all with good results. Also used it in my 12 ga. for trap loads with great success. I still use it a lot for handgun loads.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I started to chime in but I discovered that I started 44 and 357 reloading with blue dot. I have no idea why. Probably read a magazine article and gave 'em a shot. ;)

Plus, with rare exceptions, I didn't shoot paper. You know, with 125 feet of rainfall it doesn't hold up well. My targets were seashells and alum cans. I was happy if I could keep the bullets in a pop can, that was the analog for the kill shot. But there is no record of any development or practice shots.

I sometimes regret that I am not a record keeper like you two are, but I do admire your records and find them encouraging. . .

stormy days here abouts which helps me with doses of nostalgic recollections . .. . thanks for keeping the info flowing
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just recently ' found ' green dot, few years back, P.C. that is I bought a skeet shooters estate of MEC reloaders, hulls, wads, primers, 16lbs of green dot and lots of extras for $500!- anyhow it wasn't until I looked at green dot that I realized how versatile it is.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Jim, that's some fine shooting! Thanks for the pictures.

I have never tried Green Dot in any caliber; I have shot a moderate amount of Red Dot and some Blue Dot but the vast majority of my early shooting was with Bullseye, Unique and 2400.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks great to me Jim!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I agree that is some fine iron-sight sixgun shooting, Jim. Any idea of the velocity?
Seems to me I used both Green Dot and Alcan 7 to load 16-gauge shells with the Lee Loader 50 years ago.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:54 am I agree that is some fine iron-sight sixgun shooting, Jim. Any idea of the velocity?
Seems to me I used both Green Dot and Alcan 7 to load 16-gauge shells with the Lee Loader 50 years ago.
Not really. Just guessing but seems like the 8.5 gr. Unique load which would be in the 850 - 870 fps range.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

45 Colt in the 800 to 850 fps range is pretty pleasant to shoot. Those 230 grain bullets punch deep enough that I sure don't want to be hit with one. I tend toward Hodgdon powders as they are more common in my area.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I've had green dot on hand for decades. It's good stuff.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

When I 1st started out in CAS, I used GD in 44-40. Got quite a few comments on how I was hitting the targets a bit too hard. I don't recall what the load was but it was accurate.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

veeman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:16 am When I 1st started out in CAS, I used GD in 44-40. Got quite a few comments on how I was hitting the targets a bit too hard.
If I remember correctly, in CAS the preferred load was 4 gr. of Cream of Wheat. :lol:
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Due to having started loading shotgun rounds when I was a teenager using Green Dot in my first .45 was a given, Lots of it.
It is not the critic who counts