Unique doesn’t meter well?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Unique doesn’t meter well?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have read over and over that Unique doesn’t meter well. But my experience is quite different.

My Dillon 550 seems to throw nearly identical charges regardless of how much unique is in the hopper. I’ve been periodically measuring charges at random for the last few months and I haven’t found any variation through three pounds of Unique.

Have any of you actually tested to see if your powder measure throws varying charges of Unique?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unique doesn’t meter well?

Post by GunnyMack »

Many years ago an old timer told me that powder throw type measures were not consistent and recommended some sort of baffle inside the hopper. I made one from a soup can lid cut to fit inside. Just bend it some and cut a few notches around the perimeter so powder can't ' compress ' in the tube. Has it made a difference for me? - I can't really say as I always trickled to final weight for rifle charges.
As for small charges from my powder measure I always checked and rechecked as I was adjusting to final weight.
Then I found ball powders and use those more nowadays.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

There can be variations.
But for shooting other than Bench Rest Super Accurate trying to put all the bullets through one hole at 100 yards type shooting, the small variations won't make any difference in most all handgun shooting.
I once ran a bunch of ammo in the .45 Linebaugh Ruger ... weighing the bullets ... weighing carefully each powder charge .. keeping everything at + or - 1/10 of a grain.
Then I loaded the same number of rounds just using bullets without weighing them and throwing the powder charges with a Lee Powder Dipper.
I shot them all and recorded all groups.
The averages of the unmeasured ammo beat the ammo that was carefully weighed and checked.
Then later I read Richard Lee's article on loading the .30-06 and how much you can vary the powder charge and still shoot very accurate groups. And I gave up worrying about it.
And figured out if I hold the sights correctly and squeeze the trigger properly and follow through the shots go pretty much where I want them.
I am NOT advocating getting sloppy in reloading!

It's just that some things we worry about are really not an issue.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My Ruger M77V 6mm shoots great groups if I just dip the CASES in a bowl full of 4831 IMR, and dump out enough so it is 'about even with the bottom of the neck of the cartridge'. Now the cases were inside-neck-reamed, and bullets micrometer-seated, so maybe THOSE things matter, but I think the powder was so slow burning, judging by the muzzle fireball, that it was 'metered' by the barrel and how much would burn before the bullet exited. In any case, I really didn't need to weigh charges, or even use a 'dipper' other than the case itself (hard to fill a bottle-neck case but if the powder bowl is deep it can be done).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've read this same info about Unique for many years, and it always baffles me? I've loaded using Unique for about 50 years now and never found Unique to drop variations in charges. I've used it with RCBS Uniflow, Lyman 55, Pacific, and currently my Harrell's Precision powder measure, and on occasion I checked charges on my scale to look for discrepancies, but never found any. I gave up checking years ago, as it just isn't an issue for me.
I've loaded a lot of pistol and rifle charges using Unique, and never a problem. I was told by my late friend that Unique was likely the oldest powder still on the market, and his saying was, "Heck, Moses loaded with Unique!"
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I found that with the RCBS Uniflow powder measure, I had variations of as much as two to three tenths of a grain when using Unique. I must have thought it was a problem back then because I ordered an aftermarket baffle from Midway. The Dillon powder measures have an integral baffle so that the weight of the powder column in the measure remains equal. The operating systems are also different in that the Uniflow has a rotary drum and the Dillon uses a sliding bar to dispense powder. I think the Dillon is more consistent: I don't use the RCBS measure for Unique any more because I do all my handgun loading on one of my Dillons.

I have read that bench rest shooters of years ago frequently used dippers or cut-down cases to measure out their powders and obviously did very well with this system.

As Jim says, variations of a few tenths of a grain don't make a whole lot of difference in accuracy, particularly in handgun shooting where shooter consistency is most critical.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Millions and millions of rounds have been loaded with the little Lee dippers over the decades, a case of "close enough" actually being close enough.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

[quote=marlinman93 post_id=979945 time=1697298361 user_id=
"Heck, Moses loaded with Unique!"
[/quote]
Yes he did, I have his can in my collection!
20231014_121837.jpg
And it's still good! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I started out reloading with Unique and dippers then moved to a Dillon. The Dillon slide-bar measure never gave me any problems either, although I only checked the charge against a scale every 100 rounds once I was comfortable with the machine. I do get variations of .3-.4 with a Uniflow and Unique but it seems more prevalent throwing charges in the 5-7 grain range than if I'm doing 10 grains for medium .44 loads.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I had a thread here about it. I was having inconsistent throws with my Hornady measure. Bought a pistol drum and had Hornady sent me a free metal baffle. Throwing much more precise charges now.

My objective was 6.0 grains Unique. Got to 5.9 +/- 0.1 and called it good and loaded 45 acp. Aim to use this charge in multiple calibers.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I use a RCBS powder measure to throw 8-10 grs. Tests have indicated disparity between throws. But...........with this load I break clays at 110 yards, collected a turkey at 85 yards, many axis and wtd. My combination, boolit, powder and rifle, has revealed accuracy with thrown charges of Unique, consistent or not.
I've found this to be true with the guns I load with Unique. Two 24" Marlin Cowboys and a GP100. Lee 452255RF and 358125RF with Unique have proven to be accurate combinations.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:20 am [quote=marlinman93 post_id=979945 time=1697298361 user_id=
Yes he did, I have his can in my collection!20231014_121837.jpg
[/quote]

That's not Moses' can! His can is 3rd row back on the left end in this picture:

:)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I think that was a hold over from the last powder shortage so folks would buy all there was on the shelf! :P I've never had a problem using Unique on my either my RCBS Uniflow or either Dillon. But, I've never tried loading it in very small (under 6 grain) charges.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:35 am
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:20 am [quote=marlinman93 post_id=979945 time=1697298361 user_id=
Yes he did, I have his can in my collection!20231014_121837.jpg
That's not Moses' can! His can is 3rd row back on the left end in this picture:

:)
[/quote]
Lousey lying salesman -I was hornswaggeled! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've used flake & IMR powders quite a bit and my best top end rifle loads are still fueled by H4895. But ball powders meter much more consistently through my old Hornady Deluxe and I use them almost exclusively for handgun loads.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just out of interest...I've just acquired some Unique but use Herco in a small game load for the 30-30. How does Unique differ from Herco please?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m fixing to open this can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pmJust out of interest...I've just acquired some Unique but use Herco in a small game load for the 30-30. How does Unique differ from Herco please?
Unique is #45 on the LoadData.com burn rate chart and Herco is #51. Whereas on the Hodgdon chart published by LA Silhouette Club webpage, Unique is #31 & Herco is #35. Unique has many more cartridges that load data is available for. I can't describe them physically as I've never had any Herco.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Griff wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:33 pm
Nath wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pmJust out of interest...I've just acquired some Unique but use Herco in a small game load for the 30-30. How does Unique differ from Herco please?
Unique is #45 on the LoadData.com burn rate chart and Herco is #51. Whereas on the Hodgdon chart published by LA Silhouette Club webpage, Unique is #31 & Herco is #35. Unique has many more cartridges that load data is available for. I can't describe them physically as I've never had any Herco.
Thanks Griff. A hint faster than Herco then.
Good to know 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nath, here is a burn chart I have saved on my phone.
Screenshot_20230128-071753_PRINT.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I load my pistol ammo on an old 550 Dillon. I'm pretty sure Unique is the ONLY power I've used with it. I also use a ton of it through an old Lyman 55 for many old Winchester cartridges I don't load on the Dillon.
I've never had an issue with metering. The Dillon does a better job than the Lyman, however. I've tested it extensively and once in an even rhythm of cycling the press, it will hold to within a tenth of a grain.
My stuff is old, but the only time I start to get inconsistent throws on a Dillon measure is if the Allen screw that holds the throw plate to the measure works loose. A drop of blue locktite will prevent this.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:10 pm Nath, here is a burn chart I have saved on my phone.Screenshot_20230128-071753_PRINT.jpg
Thank you 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

OldWin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:20 pm I load my pistol ammo on an old 550 Dillon. I'm pretty sure Unique is the ONLY power I've used with it. I also use a ton of it through an old Lyman 55 for many old Winchester cartridges I don't load on the Dillon.
I've never had an issue with metering. The Dillon does a better job than the Lyman, however. I've tested it extensively and once in an even rhythm of cycling the press, it will hold to within a tenth of a grain.
My stuff is old, but the only time I start to get inconsistent throws on a Dillon measure is if the Allen screw that holds the throw plate to the measure works loose. A drop of blue locktite will prevent this.
This mirrors my experience but I have never detected any variation. 1/10 of a grain sounds like not much in Unique charges that I use anyway.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I use a Redding #3 powder measure and Unique gives it fits. However, it has the large rifle charge drum in it and I've been told that is the problem.
If and when I escape this part of the world and can shoot again, I plan on getting the pistol size drum and trying that. Should be interesting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:56 am
OldWin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:20 pm I load my pistol ammo on an old 550 Dillon. I'm pretty sure Unique is the ONLY power I've used with it. I also use a ton of it through an old Lyman 55 for many old Winchester cartridges I don't load on the Dillon.
This mirrors my experience but I have never detected any variation. 1/10 of a grain sounds like not much in Unique charges that I use anyway.
Same here Scott. Most of the cartridges I load on the Dillon are using between a 5 and 6gr charge. Most anything with a larger charge I'm loading on an old Rockchucker. Don't think I use more than 8gr on any handgun cartridges. It's one of my favorite powders. I've loaded with it since I was in high school, and for all that time I've heard how dirty it burns and how bad it meters. Let em' complain. I love the old stuff. I think it's the only powder I buy by the 8lb can.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Keith D
Levergunner

Post by Keith D »

I have an old can, too. How old is this thing? Still is mostly full.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Keith D wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:12 am I have an old can, too. How old is this thing? Still is mostly full.
Those little squarish cans are likely 1960's vintage.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

I don't like Unique through a Lee Perfect but works better through a MEC shotgun press. (Wonder if there is something to do with ratio of diameter of flakes to diameter of hole...?)

Scrummy
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You will not like hearing this, but my take is it is the Dillon product not the Unique. I had a real nasty Dillon 650 that would not seat primers, had trouble metering unique and the overcharged powder station also came out of adjustment after about every 10 rounds. I sent it back to Dillon and they sent it back still not working. I frankly do not think they even tried to fix the problems. I went round and round with them on returning it and finally got rid of that boat anchor.
My Lyman Spar-T kit from 1975 meters unique just fine and the Hornady lock and load I got to replace the boat anchor has worked great for about 12 years now. No problems metering Unique.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Just goes to show that much of what you read on the interweb needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

As to the above comment on the Dillon press, I've had a 550B, 650, and now a 750 for a total of 25 years and over 300K rds and Unique meters quite well, primers seat correctly, and all three have preformed without issue as long as one keeps the machines clean, lubed correctly, and in good operating order. Just like any other piece of precision machinery.

And for what it's worth, you are the first person I've ever heard say anything bad about Dillon's CS. Hundreds of reports of Dillon going beyond their lifetime warranty responsibilities, even if the operator says that he was the cause of the problem, they came through.

And then there is you.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are