Why do I always do this.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Why do I always do this.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I caught myself this time around. I have a perfectly good load for my favorite sixguns and carbines. But with deer season coming up, I look for alternatives to step up the power. This makes no sense since my current load will go through a full size cow.

But I do this every year.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Why do I always do this.

Post by Griff »

That seems to make more sense that making the one shot during deer season and relying on that same round the following. You never know when you'll find the better load if you don't experiment a little.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Scott: you are not as bad as some Black Powder cartridge rifle shooters that I know.

In their quest for the sub MOA Black Powder lead bullet 10 shot consecutive group at 200+ yards they constantly change powder, brass, neck tension, primer wads, over the powder and under the bullet wads, paper patch and grease groove bullets of various designs, bullet lube and diameter, overall cartridge length, amount of powder compression, lead bullet alloy, cleaning solvent and cleaning regimen, etc.

I think the only things not tried are separating primers by weight and indexing primers in the brass.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I found an accurate hunting load for my .41Magnum nearly 30 years ago and have never changed it. I know where it hits out to 150 yards and the sights are locked down so nothing changes. I had not hunted for 6 years when I doing Mission work in Mozambique. I was home on leave and got invited to a specialty hunt for a cow Elk. I practiced with the pistol for 3 weeks and then went on the hunt ... got within 90 yards of some cows and took one down. I ain't looking for nothing better. :lol:
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:23 pm I caught myself this time around. I have a perfectly good load for my favorite sixguns and carbines. But with deer season coming up, I look for alternatives to step up the power. This makes no sense since my current load will go through a full size cow.

I have that trouble with women!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

rossim92 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:54 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:23 pm I caught myself this time around. I have a perfectly good load for my favorite sixguns and carbines. But with deer season coming up, I look for alternatives to step up the power. This makes no sense since my current load will go through a full size cow.

Oh deer! :wink:

You're in rut I guess...

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:00 am
rossim92 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:54 am

Oh deer! :wink:

You're in rut I guess...

Old No7
:lol: :lol: :lol:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm probably just the opposite, as if I have a good load that I have a lot of confidence in, I wont change a thing. Too many variables in hunting, and I hate to change anything I know is a winner!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

You need a really high powered round in case you are attacked by a chupacabra.
NRA life member
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

At least I caught myself this time and went back to my old standard.

I’m a big fan of the .44 Special Skeeter load and I could live with that load for the rest of my life.

I use a similar load in the .45 Colt and it might be slightly better.