New (To Me) Marlin Original Golden 39A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

New (To Me) Marlin Original Golden 39A

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have wanted one of these for a long time now but just never came across one in person. Never even knew anyone who had one. Well, I went into a local pawn/gun shop to pick up another gun I was having delivered there and they had this beautiful Marlin Original 39A up there on the shelf. It was looking all beautiful amongst all of the more modern plastic stocked guns that usually fill the local gun shops here.

I knew it was a Marlin so I asked to see it and once I saw it was a 39A I started to haggle with them. They didn't want to budge much but having just bought something else I went ahead and put this one on layaway. Made a couple payments on it and could not stand it anymore so I went and paid it off.

I got to take it out this past weekend for a test run to see what ammo it likes best.

The Remington Golden Tip Ammo was not that great in it. A little slow on the cycle and not very accurate.
The CCI shorts were fun to shoot and super quiet.
The Winchester Super X ammo was money though. If you watch the video you will see.

Got this beauty just in time for Squirrel Season.

Anyways, here is a video from my first outing with it. It was made in 1982

https://youtu.be/-Wz5-dJOm4w?si=5re2LUy2g6tcach6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Re: New (To Me) Marlin Original Golden 39A

Post by Rockrat »

You got a good one. Mine is a 74 with thousands of rounds thru it. It liked everything I put thru it, but WWSX the best followed by the CILImperial stuff. Have some match ammo to try thru it, but it would be hard to beat a dime sized group @150yds my gun shot one time. Probably blind squirred syndrome but I can claim it at least once.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Nice, one of these days I'm going to get another 39 with octagon barrel and S style grip.Theycare so pricey now.$$$$
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:28 am You got a good one. Mine is a 74 with thousands of rounds thru it. It liked everything I put thru it, but WWSX the best followed by the CILImperial stuff. Have some match ammo to try thru it, but it would be hard to beat a dime sized group @150yds my gun shot one time. Probably blind squirred syndrome but I can claim it at least once.

I have not really stretched it out yet but the Super X shot realy good up close and grouped well. Next time out I will shoot at further ranges.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pat C wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:09 pm Nice, one of these days I'm going to get another 39 with octagon barrel and S style grip.Theycare so pricey now.$$$$
Oh nice, I have not seen them with the octagon barrel and s style grip.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Old CADA Gun Journal from early 90's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pat C wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:25 pm Old CADA Gun Journal from early 90's.

Wow. Very nice.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Good find. They are great rimfire leverguns.

About a year ago I picked up one, a Mountie, that was made around 1960. I bought it sight unseen at auction and unbeknown to me it had the floppy lever syndrome. Anyhow, after a bit of google investigation it needed a bit of tightening and adjustment. Fortunately no parts were required and it functions perfectly. I took the rifle to the range and it lived up to the legendary accuracy these rifles are renowned for. I’m very happy with it and wished I’d picked one up sooner.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JFE wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:14 pm Good find. They are great rimfire leverguns.

About a year ago I picked up one, a Mountie, that was made around 1960. I bought it sight unseen at auction and unbeknown to me it had the floppy lever syndrome. Anyhow, after a bit of google investigation it needed a bit of tightening and adjustment. Fortunately no parts were required and it functions perfectly. I took the rifle to the range and it lived up to the legendary accuracy these rifles are renowned for. I’m very happy with it and wished I’d picked one up sooner.

This one has just a little play in the lever. Not to bad. I just assumed it was typical. I'll look more into it and see if it will tighten up some.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

The lever on mine was quite floppy - it would drop about 1/2” to 3/4” with the action closed. Anyhow, some of the remedies I read about suggested a spring was broken and needed replacement. I was dreading this as finding and importing that sort of stuff is a nightmare these days. I partially dismantled mine and it looked like it had seen a lot of use and never cleaned. There was some wear on a couple of parts which I removed with a needle file and tightened up the internal screws - this completely removed the flop in the lever. Now it’s tight with no flop at all.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

JFE wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:30 pm The lever on mine was quite floppy - it would drop about 1/2” to 3/4” with the action closed. Anyhow, some of the remedies I read about suggested a spring was broken and needed replacement. I was dreading this as finding and importing that sort of stuff is a nightmare these days. I partially dismantled mine and it looked like it had seen a lot of use and never cleaned. There was some wear on a couple of parts which I removed with a needle file and tightened up the internal screws - this completely removed the flop in the lever. Now it’s tight with no flop at all.

Love it when things go that well.