.44 Special, more than I thought.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.44 Special, more than I thought.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I have a number of good revolvers and a carbine chambered in .44 Special. I generally use only two loads. 6 gr of Unique under a 240 gr machine cast bullet from Oregon Trail and 7.5 gr of Unique under a 250 gr Keith bullet, usually from Montana Bullet Works.

In every gun I own, they shoot to the same point of impact at 25 yards and I don’t think you can tell the group size apart between them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .44 Special, more than I thought.

This is a happy circumstance and I shoot a lot of the lighter loading.

But I did not realize that even the lighter load is more powerful than my .45 carry gun.

The Skeeter load averaged 975 fps out of my Bowen three screw conversion and 957 in my short Ruger.

The 6 gr load averaged 888 and 849 respectively.

My Commander length .45 ACP throws a 230 gr bullet at only 817fps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott, that is why it's SPECIAL. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like it is enough for almost anything. No experience with the 44 Special, but those numbers seem to be in a good range. Enough power without a lot of recoil. How often do you really need more? Probably not all that often.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:02 pm Sounds like it is enough for almost anything. No experience with the 44 Special, but those numbers seem to be in a good range. Enough power without a lot of recoil. How often do you really need more? Probably not all that often.
Probably not at all I’m thinking. Not for whitetail deer for sure.

I can’t imagine that Keith bullet would stay in one from any angle.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I tried these loads in a Mountain Gun and a 20 inch Marlin this morning.

The Marlin shot the 6 gr load at an average of 1043 fps and the Skeeter load at 1150.
Unlike the 1873, the Marlin feeds Keith bullets without a hitch.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

A .50 cal round ball only weights about 177 grains and average velocity for deer loads are about 1500 fps. I have put one through a deer on both sides before at about 75 yards. I am sure that Skeeter Load in the Marlin would handle a deer at least to 75 yards maybe 100 if it didn't have a lot of drop or loss of velocity.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:51 pm A .50 cal round ball only weights about 177 grains and average velocity for deer loads are about 1500 fps. I have put one through a deer on both sides before at about 75 yards. I am sure that Skeeter Load in the Marlin would handle a deer at least to 75 yards maybe 100 if it didn't have a lot of drop or loss of velocity.
I would like to try that in AR-BEO. It shoots a 350 gr at 1750 or so. Do you know of a starting load that might yield 1550-ish? It might not cycle the action, but that'd be OK too. Might be fine for camp meat. Thanks.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

No sir, cant say that I do.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

horsesoldier03 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:51 pm A .50 cal round ball only weights about 177 grains and average velocity for deer loads are about 1500 fps. I have put one through a deer on both sides before at about 75 yards. I am sure that Skeeter Load in the Marlin would handle a deer at least to 75 yards maybe 100 if it didn't have a lot of drop or loss of velocity.
One of the best deer killers I have ever used is a .58 caliber Thompson Center Big Bore. I replaced the trigger and trigger guard with one from a Renegade. A round ball over 90 gr of Goex was a killer of the first order. It just crumpled deer.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My .54 isn't far behind!
If I remember, .54 rb os 147 grains and that has worked in one form or another on 2 & 4 legged critters for a very long time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Grizz wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:39 pm
I would like to try that in AR-BEO. It shoots a 350 gr at 1750 or so. Do you know of a starting load that might yield 1550-ish? It might not cycle the action, but that'd be OK too. Might be fine for camp meat. Thanks.
I found some load data for the .50 Beowulf for you.

https://www.alexanderarms.com/wp-conten ... oading.pdf
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a number of Ruger and Smith .44 specials and the load I've come to like the most is 7.0 gr of Power Pistol under a 240 gr machine cast bullet. The velocity runs around 880 fps and the standard deviation is less than 10 fps with the loads I've chronographed.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

While I do not have a 44 special, I shoot special powered loads in me 44 mag. 95% of the time. My favorite load is 5.5 grs. of WST behind a 300 LFN gc. for a velocity of about 750 fps. chronod. out of a 7.5" barrel. Very accurate and very clean, better than Bullseye !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Walt wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:52 am I have a number of Ruger and Smith .44 specials and the load I've come to like the most is 7.0 gr of Power Pistol under a 240 gr machine cast bullet. The velocity runs around 880 fps and the standard deviation is less than 10 fps with the loads I've chronographed.
Thanks, next time I get some 240's I'll try this. My most used 44 Special load in recent years has been 8.5 Power Pistol with a 250K or 429421, runs just over 1000 from a 5.5" with low spreads as well. I've also taken to loading the same in magnum brass and deep seating/crimping over the forward band for my SBH.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I really should sell off a bunch of guns. Between these two I cover all of my outdoor needs.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Bronco wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:03 pm While I do not have a 44 special, I shoot special powered loads in me 44 mag. 95% of the time. My favorite load is 5.5 grs. of WST behind a 300 LFN gc. for a velocity of about 750 fps. chronod. out of a 7.5" barrel. Very accurate and very clean, better than Bullseye !
at 750 ft/sec, have you tried loading those bullets without the gas check?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's heresy, Scott.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've only owned one firearm compatible with the .44Spl, a 1969 Winchester 94 in .44 Magnum. I only owned it for a year & a half before it was stolen, purchased while overseas in 1972, stolen during the spring of 1974. In Magnum brass, it was frustrating with Keith style cast, but loved JHPs. It did good with Special cases & the Keith. I didn't own or have access to a chronograph, so I never knew how any of my loads performed. I didn't have any reloading equipment so had to rely on my B-I-L for handloads. If it hadn't been stolen, I believe I would still own it. I was in the Navy until the end of '73, and spent most of that time at sea, so even my shooting it was limited to paper, or in the case of '72 at the occasional discarded fuel tank off the fantail of our Destroyer. And that was only with factory ammo as it became available. (Ever try buying ammo overseas on a military base)? (But all in all, still a pleasant memory)! I've passed on a couple since, as in the interim I've transitioned to the 45 Colt. I believe the .44 Spl. is the equal to the .45 Colt in any rifle or handgun it's chambered in. Just doesn't have that same "nom attrait." (Or bullet selection).

But... sell some guns?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

No I have not Twodot !

The magna sizer and luber die has holes in it to align with the lube groves. IF I did not put on a gas check I would have to plug up a few holes with some lead shot. The die puts a little lube in the small space ahead of the gc. I bought 6000 gc's years ago so I take the lazy way out
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Walt wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:03 pm That's heresy, Scott.
I have more than one enabler. :-) But the truth is that I can shoot only one at a time. Yesterday was a typical range session. 50 rounds through the Single Six at 25 yards, then ten good hits on an 8 inch plate with the .44 at the same distance.

Then I shoot my carry gun a bit. Then anything else I’m experimenting with.

Not a bad system but at these temperatures I sometimes don’t get past the duty gun.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:38 am
Walt wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:03 pm That's heresy, Scott.
I have more than one enabler. :-) But the truth is that I can shoot only one at a time.
But you have two hands right? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

I have recently bought some revolvers and 1 of them being a GP 100 in .44 special 3 inch barrel. Out of the .44mag, 45 colt the .44 special is fast becoming my favorite. I kind of wish it had a 4 or 5 inch barrel (it does shoot good as is but I have not checked velocity) I have been using a 240 grain cast swc and win 231 and unique powder and I believe the edge going to unique. I need to find a Blackhawk or single action army (expensive) in this same cartridge. Wish I had started this affliction year's ago.
Karl