Cowboy Action Match day 3

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Cowboy Action Match day 3

Post by Griff »

This is stage one of the latest Comin' At 'Cha match this past week...
https://youtu.be/x8S2Ue0EBMA
from scheduling, I shot this the last day, but it's Stage One of the match. You can see at the end I had a spent cap foul the cylinder on my left hand gun, after not being able to clear it, I simply put a cap on the sixth chamber of the right hand gun and finished for a clean stage... if a little slow. I shot one of my back up guns this match because one of my primary guns developed a loose arbor. The gun that fouled is a "3rd Generation" Colt. It had this little hiccup on a couple of stages. Friday, we shot stages 9 & 10 in the pouring rain. Stage 9 had us staging our handguns & shotgun in the open in the rain. I laid a plastic bag over my guns, hoping that my caps/loads would remain dry. It worked... all 10 pistol shots went off without a hitch. But, loading during the downpour, proved that "keeping your powder dry" ain't just a cute phrase. Six of the ten shots didn't go off. So that stage had me with 6 misses. For stages 11 & 12 the weather cleared and was just overcast, I was clean again with no misses. Only 2 of us finished the match in our category... yes, I was second. The other shooter in our category got a match DQ for some reason.

On a better note, the event at these matches that I tend to take a bit more seriously are the long range events. I shot in 3 categories this year, Buffalo SingleShot, Levergun, & Optic Single Shot. I don't know how I did in the first two (as they only announce the winners), but I won the Optic with my 1885 Winchester in .32-40 equipped with the Hi-Lux scope I posted here earlier. I still only had a 50 yard firm sight setting, but with my one practice shot, I was able to determine where I hit in relation to the 1st target @ 100 yards. I then was able to take that setting, and guesstimate what a 200 yard setting should be, missing my 1st shot, but adjusting for connections on the next two shot. I did the same for the 300 yard targets, hitting the two hits on a approximately 36" round target, but missed the steel cutout of a 12" bucket. Each target has a point value, added together for a score, any tie scores are broken by the time used for the 9 shots.

The match was dedicated to honoring our veterans thru a couple of organizations for veterans. This year every veteran was granted a free entry. I got there about dark on Tuesday, with side matches on Wednesday, then the main match was Thursday - Saturday. The only side matches I entered were the long range (rifle) events & the 4 stages of Wild Bunch, where I shot one of my 1911s, a Colt Lightning (AWA clone in .44-40) and a mdl 12 Winchester riot gun. I haven't seen the scores for that, but don't expect I did all that well... I'm just to slow! I'd much rather hit 'em all than burn up rounds putting bullets in the dirt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Cowboy Action Match day 3

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like fun despite the rain. Plus it was for a worthy cause :mrgreen:

Griff how many rounds had the gun with the loose Arbor had through it ?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, I have to tip my hat to you for keeping the faith with CAS. It's great to see a feller running the black -- and shooting gunfighter with the revolvers.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Really fun. Jealous :mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:18 amSounds like fun despite the rain. Plus it was for a worthy cause :mrgreen:
Griff how many rounds had the gun with the loose Arbor had through it ?
Several thousands by me alone. I bought it used and it had been fired, tho' not likely very much or often. The gunsmith that looked at it said that when taken apart to do the Manhattan Conversion, the arbor is often not torqued and pinned properly, as it has to be removed to do the machining necessary to complete the conversion. The other three that gunsmith did don't show the same looseness... and were the guns I shot in this match. I have yet to inspect the one that kept giving me fits to see if there's a burr that could be causing the cap "folding" as the spent cap is rotated after being fired.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yea, they give nice "Winner's" buckles...
DSCN1549[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!