Around the Ranch Combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Around the Ranch Combo

Post by JimT »

old_model_single_six.jpg
Old Model Ruger Single Six ... worn in a Simply Rugged holster on the hip.
getting started in the morning.JPG
Just for daily use around the property ...
IMG_1049.JPG
12 ga. Topper ... carried on the mower ... or leaned against a nearby fencepost or tree
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Around the Ranch Combo

Post by PriseDeFer »

Packing a sixshooter, goes without sayin'. I like those sights
That Topper, light, compact, simple...bet she bites some though. Good stuff all around, but enough...those chores ain't gonna do themselves.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

PriseDeFer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:16 pm Packing a sixshooter, goes without sayin'. I like those sights
That Topper, light, compact, simple...bet she bites some though. Good stuff all around, but enough...those chores ain't gonna do themselves.
I had Gary Reeder put a Super Single Six front sight on it .. and I opened up the rear notch. My old eyes can see those sights!

The 12 gouge will gouge you! You DO NOT want to be shooting 3" Magnums in it.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I usually carry a SS Ruger Security Six 4" loaded with 38 SPL +P for CCW (also in a Simply Rugged holster) for my daily carry. As I am only on 3 acres I don't carry a long gun on a daily basis but I have a single shot H&R 20 gauge and a 22LR bolt action out of the safe for various issues that may arise. Incidentally I got the notion one time to take out my H&R 12 Ga and shoot slugs in it to see where they were "printing". I fired one off and it rattled my teeth so bad I decided I didn't care where they were hittin :lol:

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Jim, do you typically carry your single six with the LR or mag cylinder ?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

TraderVic wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:41 am Jim, do you typically carry your single six with the LR or mag cylinder ?
I don't have a Magnum cylinder for it.
I have been thinking of buying one from Borchardt Rifle Co.
Or just doing what my Dad did and open one chamber to .22 Magnum. You have to keep the hammer down on an empty and that makes it the perfect one! Keep a few Magnums in your pocket when you need to make a long shot or need more power.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:05 am
TraderVic wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:41 am Jim, do you typically carry your single six with the LR or mag cylinder ?
Or just doing what my Dad did and open one chamber to .22 Magnum. You have to keep the hammer down on an empty and that makes it the perfect one! Keep a few Magnums in your pocket when you need to make a long shot or need more power.
How is that one chamber at shooting LR after the surgery? Could this be done to a Wrangler cylinder? it would be a pretty good trigger control drill eh? I'm hoping to intercept Mom's 22M derringer, it has ammo-in-waiting for the day. Perhaps the 2-shot and 1-shot magnums can get along in their kennel . . .

:lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Grizz wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:12 am
JimT wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:05 am
How is that one chamber at shooting LR after the surgery? Could this be done to a Wrangler cylinder? it would be a pretty good trigger control drill eh? I'm hoping to intercept Mom's 22M derringer, it has ammo-in-waiting for the day. Perhaps the 2-shot and 1-shot magnums can get along in their kennel . . .

:lol:
The rim is thicker so they tend to slide ahead a bit and misfire easily. If they do fire they swell up but I have never had one split. My Dad's gun has the chamber marked so it's easy to roll around when you want it or bypass it easily.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What a cool idea! 8)
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

I have a 12g Topper Buck, shot it twice, wrapped my right thumb over the wrist of the stock and upon shooting , I gave myself a bloody nose.
Not one to make the same mistake twice, I moved my thumb on top of and in line with the wrist, and upon shooting, split my thumb nail down the middle,
Still waiting to take a third shot.🤨
Rumble.com/ hickock45
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. It came with the spare rifled barrel. It is the 3 inch magnum version for both barrels. I have never used 3 inch in it. It just doesn't sound fun anymore.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:09 pm I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. It came with the spare rifled barrel. It is the 3 inch magnum version for both barrels. I have never used 3 inch in it. It just doesn't sound fun anymore.

remember, just because a shell will hold such much powder does not mean that we HAVE TO put that much in. does it? :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

piller wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:09 pm I have a Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge. It came with the spare rifled barrel. It is the 3 inch magnum version for both barrels. I have never used 3 inch in it. It just doesn't sound fun anymore.
my 500 12 came with a short cyl bore and a longer barrel for bird shot. want to trade long barrels? I would throw in a birds head grip . . .