Building a garden shed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Building a garden shed

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

We are looking to build a garden shed in the back yard to get the garden tools and mower out of the garage.

I’m thinking about walling off a part of the shed and putting my loading bench and tools in a small air conditioned space.

Has anyone done this and do you have any tips?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Building a garden shed

Post by 2ndovc »

Should be pretty easy with a large enough shed. A single car garage kit would work a little better for height and width. If you have the room. Not knowing your local building codes, but I used to run into a lot of small garages up here that were build on nothing more than a 4" concrete pad. Doesn't work out well with our weather, but may be an option in TX.
That way, you could build 2"x4" walls where you wanted them. Sheet it with plywood, then build off the inside of the studs for your bench.
First thoughts anyway. Pretty much how I built my workbenches in the garage/ barn. Two layers of 3/4" plywood on top of some base cabinets I took out of an insurance loss. Sheeted the outside wall over 6" fiberglass and screwed it all together. Quite solid.
My issue is heating it. Still looking for a good, used wood burner. I can get all the downed trees I want. Especially this year!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I built an 8X12 garden tool shed to match the roof slope and the Hardie siding on our house in Salem. I used pressure-treated 4X6s on 24-inch centers on leveled pier blocks, then laid down 1/2-inch hardware cloth to critter-proof before screwing down the T&G flooring plywood. Then I pretty much framed conventionally, but with 2X4 instead of 2X6, added a 48X36 window and double doors (headers over both, of course) with a ramp to drive the John Deere into the shed. Three-tab asphalt shingles over 20-pound felt up top and paint to match the house and she was done. I didn't finish the interior walls and did not contemplate wiring as that would have invited a long process of permit applications, electricians, sign-offs, etc. AD NAUSEUM.
If I were thinking of wiring and really finishing a portion of the interior, I would have framed with 2X6 and added insulation and interior walls along with lighting and outlets.
Should add, this was in rain country where, by the way, there are few if any snakes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Your idea is sound but...
The Texas heat concerns me , I was never one for storing my supplies in unconditioned spaces. I know you are going to put ac in it but what about when you aren't in there? Or will you leave it on 24/7/365? Or will you bring powder & primers from house to shed and back? It's probably not an issue however I would not do that.

Base cabinets are the best thing as Jason says for loading benches! Drawers, shelves- lots of storage but geeze have you priced cabinets lately?! If you can find someone doing a kitchen renovation beg, borrow the old cabinets.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

You need to see if you have building codes to contend with before anything gets started.
If you build off the back or side your existing garage, you start with a solid first wall. You probably have electrical in your garage already, so it’s much simpler ( also cheaper) to extend it into the addition. Good insulation will help keep it dry, cool or warm as needed. I live WAY north, so dry heat (not propane or gas) and a dehumidifier is what I use.
Always, Always go bigger than you think you need!
Lots more to suggest, but find out what’s legal there FIRST.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've had my reloading supplies in an unheated, un-airconditioned portion of my pole barn here in TX for over 30 years. Not a problem... I use an old refrigerator for powder & primer storage. Powder above in the old refrigerated section and primers in the freezer. My loading bench in built on surplus kitchen cabinetry, re-inforced with 2x4s. Everything is leveled off with shims cut from pressure treated lumber on a concrete slab. The RCBS Rock Chucker & Dillons are just at the right height to stand or sit on standard bar stools and work. Everything is topped with a slab of ¾" marine grade plywood and top surface is a surplus kitchen counter top. Presses are bolted thru counter top, ¾" plywood and 2x4 laid flat, solid.
DSCN1050.JPG
If only it still looked so neat & tidy!!! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are not the first I've heard of that stores powder & primers in an old fridge. I could get on board with that as it should keep its own climate. It will still have swings in temp but shouldn't be as severe as just baking in the sun scorched shed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I did this 34 years ago when we bought our house, just so all the lawn stuff was in one place. I looked at materials cost, and settled on a pre fab metal garden shed instead. Wish I'd bought two back then as they were under $300 for a 10'x10' shed. It's held up remarkably well for all the years, and still in good shape.
They're still around $500 at Tractor Supply and if this one ever goes bad I'll just buy another and assemble it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

What about a tough shed ? They come and set it up and all you have to do is the interior.
I know of a guy that bought a lot of land in Wyoming, for hunting purposes, bought a tough shed, insulated it ,wired it, plumed it. When he showed up he brought a generator and, water and wood for the stove.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

When my decades old aluminum shed finally gave up the ghost I replaced it with a rubbermade. Went from 8x10 to 10x12. Amazingly I also got rid of most of the stuff in the old shed. And wondered why I kept it all these years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Interesting post. I may get relegated to a shed when I retire. Keep the ideas coming!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’m thinking about something like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

That would be very easy to wire the interior, insulate and add A/C, plywood, OSB or drywall. If you go that route, start with a good solid dry base to set it on.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I’ve got some good solid railroad ties. I’m thinking about leveling them out in a frame and filling with gravel or limestone base.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We bought one a few years ago. 16' by 16' a pre made by the Amish. I leveled a place in the backyard shoveled and hauled 6 tons of gravel for the base. they showed up at 7:00 in the morning and it was assembled into major walls and pieces. they put it together like a puzzle and were done by 11:30 AM. one thing for sure is get the 2"x6" treated toung and groove flooring , it's solid as a rock. I have my reloading bench by the windows. It's working out well. this is what I got.https://alpinestructures.net/storage-shed-cottage.html
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Another thing you may want to consider, if you have the option, do these structures come on skids? In other words, 2 or 3, 6”x6” pressure treated, full length beams.
If you ever wanted to move it, you could easily “skid” it across the yard to another location. It also makes for a very strong Frame to sit on. Easy to Jack up and re-level if needed, plus that extra distance off the ground helps with moisture abatement, and air flow.
Jared
Levergunner

Post by Jared »

I have a wood frame 12x20’ shed that I enclosed and insulated the back 8’ for bullet casting. I rant a 20 Amp line into the shed with 10 gauge wire, cut a hole for an exhaust vent hood over my lead pot. The insulation I used was just left over sheets from a previous project then I covered it all in with plywood. A small AC unit will keep it about 75 to 80 degrees on the hottest summer day with a lead pot running.

I found a bunch of pictures I took when I was building it let me see if I can figure out how to post them here. It posted them backwards but I am sure you get the idea.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That’s sort of what I have in mind. Almost exactly in fact.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The biggest problem I would say is condensation depending on the climate. Also, of course, it depends on how you build and ventilate it. Plus mice can be a problem.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:55 pm .
The biggest problem I would say is condensation depending on the climate. Also, of course, it depends on how you build and ventilate it. Plus mice can be a problem.
I’m on the edge of a desert. Condensation is not an issue.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I built an 8x12. I used 4x8 siding, insulation, drywall(taped, floated) and a single opening, a 3/0 door. I stays surprisingly cool inside. Next time I'll wrap with tyvek, seal and insulate the floor as this one is on cinder blocks. An a/c unit would not have to work real hard. Planned on this being my meat cutting house then Hurricane Harvey changed our minds......still full of home stuff.