Stevens Favorite 25 STEVENS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Stevens Favorite 25 STEVENS

Post by Pat C »

Classic old rimfire , Ammo fairly scarce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Stevens Favorite 25 STEVENS

Post by samsi »

Neat!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what a Treasure of a rifle ! thanks for the fotos
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pat, it is lovely. Have you shot it?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have always admired those rifles and as the ammunition is considered obsolete in the UK I could buy one without jumping through hoops BUT I would want to shoot it :?
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

It's in route now , will report back if any of this old ammo will even fire.Had planned on using rimfire reloading kit to see if they can be reloaded after shooting
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Very neat. That's a hot looking rimfire round. Sort of a 25 magnum. One of my locals has one in 25 RF, but I assume it is the standard version. I think I'll take a closer look now.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

That round with a "small game" type flat tip on it would be the bee's knees for small game up to medium sized varmints. Keith thought a lot of that cartridge, IIRC. I've long been intrigued by the thought of a 25 caliber singleshot, and the Favorite would be the right platform for it.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, got the wheels turning... change the block to center fire and run a 25-20 reamer up the pipe.
Great ol rifle nonetheless!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:29 pm Hmm, got the wheels turning... change the block to center fire and run a 25-20 reamer up the pipe.
Great ol rifle nonetheless!
I read over on rimfirecentral the action was strong enough for 25-20 ,but I have no intention of changing anything. The rimfire reloading kit is something I plan to pursue.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I gotcha there on the reloading kit. Besides 25-20 brass is almost as hard to find as 25 RF!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Amazing. Beautiful. Words are not enough!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Well she came to life today ,that old 1930's Lubaloy actually fired with a loud report and fairly accurate.Fivecrounds offhand at 20 yards.
This rifle is as tight as new ,it's a shooter for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

it sure is a shooter !

had one once but sold it to a friend and never tried itl
cable
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Nice squirrel rifle you have there!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i was thinking of having mine converted to center fire but the bore diameter is .251 [similar to 25 acp ] not 256 like the 25/20

was getting more complicated than i was willing to pursue
cable
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

hfcable wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:22 pm i was thinking of having mine converted to center fire but the bore diameter is .251 [similar to 25 acp ] not 256 like the 25/20

was getting more complicated than i was willing to pursue
That's what bullet sizer dies are for... :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Please say a prayer for my friend that gave me this tattered nox of 25 Stevens.I found out he has throat cancer and has spread to other areas. We worked for same company for almost three decades ,always talked guns and hunting. He retired last year . Had been having some trouble eating and thought he had a high hernia.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

First off, prayers up for your friend. I wish him all the best.

I have often wondered why there is not a modern version of the 25 Stevens or even a modern gun in 25-20? I have been thinking that I could have a barrel
made up in what I would call a 25 Fireball (necked up 221 Fireball) and put it on a Ruger American that started life as 223 to shoot cast 86 gr. I know they make the 25-45 Sharps for an AR, which could also be an option but it has more capacity than needed.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JBowen wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:49 pm First off, prayers up for your friend. I wish him all the best.

I have often wondered why there is not a modern version of the 25 Stevens or even a modern gun in 25-20? I have been thinking that I could have a barrel
made up in what I would call a 25 Fireball (necked up 221 Fireball) and put it on a Ruger American that started life as 223 to shoot cast 86 gr. I know they make the 25-45 Sharps for an AR, which could also be an option but it has more capacity than needed.

JBowen
Heck just a run of 25-20 brass/ loaded ammo would be nice! It's one of my favorite cartridges!
Even the 5mm Remington was a good substitution and that fell on its face.
Every 25-20 fan should be emailing Ruger/Marlin and Henry demanding the -20 cartridges be produced as well as Winchester and Remington for brass & ammo.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I appreciate it , the little rimfire packs a punch. I may pick up a full box of late ammo just to have . There is a few alternatives I guess.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd pick up ammo every time I saw it just to have it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pat C wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:31 pm Please say a prayer for my friend that gave me this tattered nox of 25 Stevens.I found out he has throat cancer and has spread to other areas. We worked for same company for almost three decades ,always talked guns and hunting. He retired last year . Had been having some trouble eating and thought he had a high hernia.
Prayers up.

Harder to re-throat a human than a rifle… :|

I do wonder if there is a 25 cal Hornet one could wildcat if ammo became impossible.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I checked mine and the bore is .251" but the grooves are .255
Lyman 65 grain bullet mold is .257"

Thanks for the well wishes .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Pat, very sorry for your friend and colleague.
Very happy for your experience with the .25 Stevens. Thanks so much for sharing your range results. I bet a Youtube of your next range session would draw a bunch of viewers!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Very nice! What a fine candidate to join our "quarter bore" match we do in these parts...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I think I will drift the front sight to adjust and try 5-10 shot again from actual rest. If it shot that good offhand it's probably a fine shooter. I may by a box of later Rem or Win.

My friend randomly finding that old tattered box in that old cabin ,sending it my way started the journey of me finding this rifle. I feel it was meant to be ,a sign if you will.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a Ballard #3 Gallery rifle that was initially .22 Long, but back when the .25 Stevens RF was the hot new cartridge someone sent this nice little #3 to Stevens, and had it rebored, rifled, and chambered in the new .25RF! Then Stevens fitted it with a Stevens full length #368 scope, and under the forearm on the barrel they marked it with their tradition logo for re-boring, and the caliber designation.
I had no ammo, and never intended to shoot it until a friend asked me if I knew anyone who wanted a bunch of rimfire ammo? I asked what it was, and was told it was .32 Long, and .25 Stevens! An extremely cheap price got me 14 boxes of ammo, and 6 of them were .25RF Cannuck brand. I sold the .32 RF Long ammo, and took the gun and one box of .25RF out to the range to shoot. I fired half a box and it's a wonderfully accurate rifle! Every once in awhile I take it along, and shoot a half box, but not too often as I want the ammo to last a long time!
I have looked into breech seating bullets, and using nail gun blanks to fire them. I found out .27 caliber lowest rated nail gun blanks are the same size as .25 RF cases, and about the same velocity. I just need to make up a tool to breech seat the bullets into my bore, and give it a try. If accuracy is any good I may end up with a Ballard in .25RF I can shoot a whole lot more!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

You can actually reload those spent case with one of the .22 reloading kits . Lyman makes the correct 65 grain mold.

I plan to try both they say the .25 rimfire is the king of rimfires.
Fiocchi makes 25 rimfire animal slaughter cartridges in bulk but can't find anywhere to get them.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:42 pm You can actually reload those spent case with one of the .22 reloading kits . Lyman makes the correct 65 grain mold.

I plan to try both they say the .25 rimfire is the king of rimfires.
Fiocchi makes 25 rimfire animal slaughter cartridges in bulk but can't find anywhere to get them.
Did a quick search online at Fiocchi and they list one Fiocchi of America dealer, who might have them. The cartridge is listed as 6.3/12 (.25 Cal.) so might need to see if this dealer in Mo. could get some? States the boxes come as 200-6000, and I wonder what a carton of 6000 would run?
I sent a question to the email listed, so will see if they reply.

6930 N. Fremont Dr. Ozark, MO. 65721
tel: +1 4174491032
email:
jared@fiocchiusa.com
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yeah the size makes them a short but may be an option.
I had planned to turn a few brass cases with counterbore for 22 wrf case and powder and lyman 65 grain .

Also contacted CCI again as there was a report they planned to do a run .If enough people ask them they might do it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pat C wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:28 am Yeah the size makes them a short but may be an option.
I had planned to turn a few brass cases with counterbore for 22 wrf case and powder and lyman 65 grain .

Also contacted CCI again as there was a report they planned to do a run .If enough people ask them they might do it.
If they are a short case, I'll likely not pursue buying any. Not fond of building up a powder fouling ring in my pristine chamber/bore. I'll likely keep looking into breech seating bullets and using nail gun blanks. It will be easy to make a plugged case from fired .25 Stevens Long RF brass to breech seat the bullets I have cast from my .25 mold.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Please explain breech seating , I'm assuming the bullet is just seated by itself against the throat. Is there a tool that holds it centered to chamber? And controls depth of engagement?
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Don't get any better than this...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That box looks pristine!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Yeah ,it's of the highest collector quality. Good thing I'm not a collector 🙂