A decent Drone...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A decent Drone...?

Post by AJMD429 »

For a 'mere' $1,500 - you can get this cool JET
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/ae ... N3390.html

For $250 or so you can get an electric powered SR-71 replica.

So how much does a DECENT drone that could go out 500 yards or so and take arial photos or video cost...?

I'd love to use one to:

> do an off-season deer census

> check out poachers without having to risk getting shot
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A decent Drone...?

Post by 2ndovc »

Looking forward to some responses. Bought two. Crashed two. There were no survivors. Darned good thing I didn't want to be a pilot!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been toying with getting a drone myself. I would want one that has the ability to LOCK ON to me or the dog when bird hunting. I think it would be an awesome thing to watch the flush, shot and retrieve. Not to mention not getting sea sick from strapping a gopro on the dog like one of my buddies did- you could not watch the video without feeling sick from all the bouncing around! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Back when they first became reliable I got one for use at work. The idea ws to get an overhead view of equiment without having to climb. Back then the video was recorded on an SD card and had to be viewed on a computer. It worked, but I found I was spending a lot of more time than if I had just climbed the ladder. It languished in my garage until my youngest wanted one to play with.

Oh, I did have one interesting event. I was checking out a cooling tower when one of the fans came on. Took that thing on a several hundred foot high elevator ride. It was caught i the column of air and couldn't get out until it's upward velocity slowed enough. The video was cool though.

Might be time to get one for entertainment. Or pehaps even find out where the local pack of coyotes are hanging out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

When they were new to me antways, a four prop job about the size of a deli tray sauntered by betwixt my house and mom's and was hovering/lurking under the neighbour's open-sided tractor shed. It never left the shed alive. It ran into a cloud of #4s.
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:01 pm When they were new to me antways, a four prop job about the size of a deli tray sauntered by betwixt my house and mom's and was hovering/lurking under the neighbour's open-sided tractor shed. It never left the shed alive. It ran into a cloud of #4s.
Ah yes, the active weather anomaly ! !
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

My brother bought a DJI Maverick Mini 2 from Costco for $400. They are amazing. They'll go out a couple miles. If you lose sight or the battery gets low, it will override your control and come back to where it took off. It folds up into its own case. Very easy to fly and land. If you come down too hard, it will stop itself before crashing. It takes amazing video even in the wind. It stabilizes the camera. That was about a year ago when he got it. He added some lights to it to keep better track of it
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Never crashed a real plane and started flying in 1972 (Officially) NEVER flew a drone or model airplane I didn't crash.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Paladin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:27 pm Never crashed a real plane and started flying in 1972 (Officially) NEVER flew a drone or model airplane I didn't crash.
Well, I guess it's good it wasn't the other way around....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:09 pm I would want one that has the ability to LOCK ON to me or the dog when bird hunting. I think it would be an awesome thing to watch...
A guy who used to work for me had one he used for skiing and snowboarding; if I recall, he could set the altitude & position at which it hovered over/behind him. He showed us some awesome footage taken with it -- but I think he'd paid well over a grand for it. No idea of the brand or model...

Still, it WAS awesome!!!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH