380 acp

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

380 acp

Post by 4t5 »

I am thinking of picking up a small .380 , and am wondering what you guys have and how you like them. I like the reviews on the Ruger security 380.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
JimT
Shootist

Re: 380 acp

Post by JimT »

I don't have a .380 but if I did, this is the one I would have. I would shorten the barrel and it would be an excellent pocket pistol!
Cimarron Model 1862 in .380 ACP
Cimarron-Model-1862-Reproduction-770.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jim is old, please excuse him. 238
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I’ve had a P3AT since ‘07. It has performed flawlessly. Almost 2000 rounds though it. 2000 painful rounds. It’s not a pleasant experience but it carries well and is accurate to 25 yards for me.
The little Sig P365 is a sweet little fella. Super easy to rack unlike the Kel-Tec. Very high quality and also reliable.

My carry ammo is Precision One 90 grain XTP +p
https://precisiononeammunition.com/prod ... p-xtppnew/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

4t5 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:35 pm I am thinking of picking up a small .380 , and am wondering what you guys have and how you like them. I like the reviews on the Ruger security 380.
Hard to beat a glock 42.
I've even got a Diamondback DB9 in 9mm that is about the same size. $300ish
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Ruger LCP Original style with a 7 to 8 pound long trigger pull.
I dont want the LCP II with a shorter Lighter trigger pull.
Lightweight,reliable,relatively inexpensive.

And a Ruger BRAND extended Magazine for 7 rounds in the magazine and one in the barrel.Easy takedown and clean.
Similiar to a double action revolver in trigger pull.
Easy to shoot well with some practice

For a Pocket Pistol I do NOT want an easy to pull short stroke trigger pull.
Self defense at short range is not target practice at a target.

I Always carry one in the chamber,without one in the chamber its just an extremely short ,lightweight club.

I carry Winchester Flat point fmj as 380 acp is too weak to get both good expansion and enough Penetration in case the bullet has to go through an attackers arm before reaching the vitels.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:25 pm Jim is old, please excuse him. 238
Just 'cuz it's old don't mean it ain't right. :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Of course, I get the rough General possible traditionalist point, but what .380???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yep .. I get that. I was just answering the question about what .380 to carry. If I carried a .380 it would be something like that. You could handload full wadcutters to decent velocity for instance. Run heavier bullets. And it is a cute little gun, especially if you cut the barrel to 3 1/2" or so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:52 am Yep .. I get that. I was just answering the question about what .380 to carry. If I carried a .380 it would be something like that. You could handload full wadcutters to decent velocity for instance. Run heavier bullets. And it is a cute little gun, especially if you cut the barrel to 3 1/2" or so.

As much as I like percussion colts and early metallic cartridge conversions and the modern guappo reproductions thereof, there is always the possibility of them coming apart when least convenient.....

Watch mayberry's asa breeney and his ailing sixgun.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9R-vM3lGG ... JyZWVuZXkg

Fast forward to 4:45 mark.....

Not a .380 but check this out.....

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... -revolver/

There is a member owned photo example on one of the recent "combo" show & tells.....
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Funny stuff Ray. The only time I have ever had a cap n ball come apart was an early Italian 1851 brass frame that I was experimenting with smokeless duplex loads. On the range I had fired a number of heavy loads and on the 10th shot or so when I pulled the trigger and it went off, the barrel and cylinder went downrange also. Pulled the cylinder arbor clean out of the brass frame. Gave up on brass frame guns after that! :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Of the many .380 ACPs I have shot this one comes out on top for me.

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:54 am Funny stuff Ray. The only time I have ever had a cap n ball come apart was an early Italian 1851 brass frame that I was experimenting with smokeless duplex loads. On the range I had fired a number of heavy loads and on the 10th shot or so when I pulled the trigger and it went off, the barrel and cylinder went downrange also. Pulled the cylinder arbor clean out of the brass frame. Gave up on brass frame guns after that! :lol:
When folks tell me I'm nuts for experimenting with the Ruger Old Army, I remember your exploits and feel relatively sane! :lol:

That little pocket pistol in 380 would be a hoot! I've gotten a world of enjoyment out of loading "heavy for caliber" 380 and shooting it out of a 410 to 380 ACP caliber adapter. Methinks they'd be right handy in a pistola that size as well.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

bcraig wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:07 pm Ruger LCP Original style with a 7 to 8 pound long trigger pull.
I dont want the LCP II with a shorter Lighter trigger pull.
Lightweight,reliable,relatively inexpensive.

THIS ^^^^^^^
we have a couple of them. they are very accurate with intentional fire control. and the tc flat point round stops at the same water jug as the 9mm gold dots . . .

I too won't carry the newer lcp's. they stink....
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

I too carry an LCP. Works for me. Accurate when I try. Reliable all the time. And of late, inexpensive.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While I like my 42 it is on the larger size. My preferred.380 is an AMT single action Backup.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Wife loves her S&W Shield EZ in 380. I liked it too, but wanted a bit more oomph, so got one in 9mm.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JimT wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:54 pm
Old Savage wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:25 pm Jim is old, please excuse him. 238
Just 'cuz it's old don't mean it ain't right. :lol:
Old, well then you'll remember this old saying.

Don't feel pregnant. I carry this from time to time. If six rounds won't do it and he's close enough I will set him on fire. It's not a 30 caliber though.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As one who prefers a 1911 style firearm with exposed hammer, check out the sig p-238.
Screenshot_20230823-140107-189.png
I have the slightly larger p-938, and 9 mm and it is incredibly easy to handle for such a tiny powerful package. Tritium sites and Pachmayr grips are one of the options.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have one of the original LCPs with the factory Crimson Trace built it. I don't care for the "II" trigger either. It ain't a target shooter, but I never wanted it for such.
Even in it's factory-supplied pocket holster it fits in behind my cell phone in my usually-worn T Shirt pocket.....
If you need to know, don't stop with the first shot and carry a spare mag.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for the replies, I like the sig 380 because you can swap grip modules to the bigger x or xl, I like the ruger security 380 because it’s a ruger.
But haven’t shot either.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another vote for the P238. I've had mine since they were released and have yet to have had a failure of any kind. Can't say that for the Shield which I no longer have. The LCP is a .22lr and is my working in the yard pistol.

The 238 is a tough little pistol. My wife and I were packing up the Jeep for a weekend trip. The Sig was in my backpack that I'd set behind the Jeep and forgot about until I heard a crunch when I started backing up. It had a little scratch on the slide and one grip has split about halfway down. Still keeps popping along.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I don't mind a .380 for carry and carried a Walther PPKS as a backup gun for about 15 years. A bit lighter with more ammo is a Bretta model 84 (this one an Indiana State Police turn-in)a bit larger and feels much better in the hand and you can shoot a clean target with one on a 25-yard course. (This is a photo before I put a suppressor on it) I think the SIG 228 is a good gun but still a bit heavy for the size. For a pocket pistol, I went with an S&W J-Frame in .22 MAg, a Berretta Alley Cat in .32ACP, or a Berretta Jaguar in .22 LR. Good luck on finding something comfortable you like.
It is not the critic who counts
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like the 380. I've had several over the years, but the only one I currently have is a Rock Island Baby Rock. Sort of a mini 1911. This particular one is from the collection of our departed friend Jeff Quinn of Gunblast fame. It's 100% reliable, carries nice and flat, and I like the option of carrying "cocked and locked".

Another favorite is the Beretta 85 but they are a sizable gun, and there are many 9mm on the market that are smaller and lighter. My other preference is the Walther PPK. Fairly compact but still enough heft and decent sights to shoot accurately. I'm not a fan of the tiny polymer pocket pistols. They just seem too small for my hands for much besides shooting across the table. But I will admit that does have place.

Here's a link to Jeff's review of the Baby Rock that's in my safe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8_73gRHwqdI ... gszNI9oTFk
NRA Life Member
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Blaine wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:20 pm I have one of the original LCPs with the factory Crimson Trace built it. I don't care for the "II" trigger either. It ain't a target shooter, but I never wanted it for such.
Even in it's factory-supplied pocket holster it fits in behind my cell phone in my usually-worn T Shirt pocket.....
If you need to know, don't stop with the first shot and carry a spare mag.
I carry a spare LCP Magazine and a spare gun as well
Lcp In front shirt pocket and Glock 26 in front Pants pocket,pants Propper Brand ,shirt Propper Brand
And loaded which means one in the barrel,none of that Israeli carry stuff that can get you killed wasting time chambering a round
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Here's one not previously mentioned.....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... nd+.380acp

A brace of them should get you safely from the porch to the mailbox and back.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UvioSRqXW ... RvbA%3D%3D

Comes in 9x19 as well.....
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Given that many of the micro 9's are the same size as most .380's, why not stick with the 9mm? 9mm is a heck of a lot cheaper than .380 ACP.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:38 pm Given that many of the micro 9's are the same size as most .380's, why not stick with the 9mm? 9mm is a heck of a lot cheaper than .380 ACP.
Ruger LCP 380 is smaller and lighter and thinner than a micro 9.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bcraig wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:14 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:38 pm Given that many of the micro 9's are the same size as most .380's, why not stick with the 9mm? 9mm is a heck of a lot cheaper than .380 ACP.
Ruger LCP 380 is smaller and lighter and thinner than a micro 9.
By far.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

After rereading the o.p. I decided to research the ruger security .380. Now guess what gat I am saving-up pennies to buy ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cUvX-d8Bf ... JpdHkgMzgw
m.A.g.a. !
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I had a Keltec P3AT. Iwanted it for its size. Very pocket friendly. Problem is I could not shoot it accurately with my oversized meat hooks. Loved the pistol, hated shooting it. I did not feel safe with it.

Sold it. A week later, I bought an unfired Browning Model 1955. Also .380. And despite the poor front sights on it, I love shooting it.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

The Hogue grip sleeve for the single stack LCP's makes a major improvement in handling and shootability for these little guns. I nearly got rid of mine before I tried it with the sleeve, the difference is night and day.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

lthardman wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:43 pm I had a Keltec P3AT. Iwanted it for its size. Very pocket friendly. Problem is I could not shoot it accurately with my oversized meat hooks. Loved the pistol, hated shooting it. I did not feel safe with it.

Sold it. A week later, I bought an unfired Browning Model 1955. Also .380. And despite the poor front sights on it, I love shooting it.
That's a beauty! 8)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

KelTec sent me the spring and guide rod when my son lost them. Taurus made a good one about the same size.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

piller wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:57 pm KelTec sent me the spring and guide rod when my son lost them. Taurus made a good one about the same size.
Yep, tcp 738. The improved current offering is their "spectrum". In between those two models was the "curve" that shot around corners.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... f3/380-ACP
m.A.g.a. !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ray wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:05 pm
piller wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:57 pm KelTec sent me the spring and guide rod when my son lost them. Taurus made a good one about the same size.
Yep, tcp 738. The improved current offering is their "spectrum". In between those two models was the "curve" that shot around corners.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... f3/380-ACP
interesting that the Taurus is offered for the price of the Ruger I bought. I'll look at one in a store. I can carry two hideout guns for the price of one higher capacity and bigger pistol, with the same capacity and a new york reload . . .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Sold a number of the Sig P238s to folks willing to listen, compare and look beyond price differences. That single-action trigger makes a significant difference, especially in a handgun chambered in a cartridge that really needs to be shot well to be at its most effective. It is a shame Sig has quit making them. The P365 just doesn't work for me.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sig P238 in a Galco pocket holster. Never leave home without it.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 am Sold a number of the Sig P238s to folks willing to listen, compare and look beyond price differences. That single-action trigger makes a significant difference, especially in a handgun chambered in a cartridge that really needs to be shot well to be at its most effective. It is a shame Sig has quit making them. The P365 just doesn't work for me.
I didn’t know they stopped. Checking GB shows prices are up. Glad to have gotten in early enough where they had a bazillion styles and had boatloads of inventory.
Kind regards,
Tycer
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

My first 380 was a Colt Series 80 but the trigger was absolutely horrible so had a newby gunsmith at the local shop rework it, after that the hammer would more often than not follow the slide home unless it was held JUST right. Later traded it on a G42 that's gone the Glock Store mods. My Brother gifted me an LCP with Crimson Trace laser sight. Got a replacement trigger that greatly improved the trigger pull. Even with a replacement trigger it's still a pain to shoot. Got a DeSantis sof-tuck for the G42 that was comfortable to carry, but decided to get the same holster for the G43 that's even more comfortable, so that is what I'm going with now. YMMV HTH