Angle Eject Conversions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Angle Eject Conversions?

Post by wvfarrier »

Here is a question I was thinking about. Is it possible to convert a top eject winchester 92/94 into an angle eject?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Angle Eject Conversions?

Post by 765x53 »

Wouldn't that be like bubbaing a historic military collectable?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Anything is possible as long as you have deep pockets, willing to spend the time and effort with trying to get it right.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

wvfarrier wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:59 pm Here is a question I was thinking about. Is it possible to convert a top eject winchester 92/94 into an angle eject?
Absolutely. Sell it and buy a Henry or Marlin.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I was referring to a newer model 92 not an antique ;-)
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Tycer wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:33 pm
wvfarrier wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:59 pm Here is a question I was thinking about. Is it possible to convert a top eject winchester 92/94 into an angle eject?
Absolutely. Sell it and buy a Henry or Marlin.
Henry doesnt make a 24" barrel and I already have a Marlin 😁
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I love the answers.... :lol:

I have no clue myself, but I thought the receivers were actually different, not just the innards. I'm sure someone here knows, once the humorous and/or snarky answers all get expressed... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A 94, yes, the parts are around and not crazy expensive. Last time I saw angle eject bolts on ebay they were around $30 I believe. The barrel needs to be either swapped with an AE barrel or the current barrel modified for the offset extractor cut.

The receiver wall can be gradually cut back a bit at a time, Id probably not do it as much as the factory AEs are. Just slowly work it down until it ejects reliably. Its as much an angled clearance as a lowered one. Drilling and tapping for the scope bases is relatively simple.

Theres a number of reasons to convert an older gun, not the least of which are they are generally fitted and finished nicer than most of the AEs Ive seen. Less sharp edges, less poorly proportioned parts. The older ones also have the serial number in a different place so you can cut some of the sharper edges off the lower sides of the receiver, the pre-64 definitely better than post 64, and pre-war and earlier have pretty well beveled lower edges. I modified a post 64 top eject to remove some of the more squared off edges on the lower part of the receiver. It was a worthwhile improvement, much nicer to carry in the hand.

Another reason is if you just have a gun you like and have had a while. I have zero interest in selling a gun ive had 40 or so years, and if I want to make it more user friendly for myself now, I may go ahead and do it. Any perceived crime against humanity for modifying my gun, tough, get over it. Its already been modifed in several ways. None of mine are pristine or overly rare or collectible, just ordinary carbines. I refuse to kowtow to someone elses opinion on what I do with my stuff. Resale value means absolutely nothing to me compared to its value as a using gun, I wont sell them, and nobody that gets it after Im gone has any say in it, not my problem. They can go buy another one if they dont like it. They made a few million of them.

Yes, Ive thought about this, looked at parts, thought strongly about buying the parts, bought an AE gun, its OK, but nowhere near the quality of gun my older one is. Life has been somewhat complicated the past few yeas, but when things settle some I may well make the conversion. Highly likely.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm sure it could be done, with enough folding money to buy 2 other rifles... I do wonder what it would d the strength of the receiver. I'm not fan of the mdl 94AE for the same reason. As far as I know, the only internal part that differs on the 94AE is the right cartridge guide... it's also cut down for the needed clearance to angle eject. The extractor enjoys a new locations on the bolt, and the ejector may also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You can convert a 1952 Hudson Hornet into a 2023 McLaren If you want to, and have the money -- but SHOULD you?... :wink:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:15 pm I'm sure it could be done, with enough folding money to buy 2 other rifles... I do wonder what it would d the strength of the receiver. I'm not fan of the mdl 94AE for the same reason. As far as I know, the only internal part that differs on the 94AE is the right cartridge guide... it's also cut down for the needed clearance to angle eject. The extractor enjoys a new locations on the bolt, and the ejector may also.

The strength question would seem pretty settled if one is using standard rounds that the gun is made for. Theyve made the AEs for about 40 years with no reported stretching or failures that Ive heard of other than when converted to rounds way outside the safe range for the gun regardless of if AE or not. A forged late pre-64 should hold up OK.

The cost? I mentioned above the complete AE bolts cost around $30, maybe a bit more now (just looked, $25 to $40 or so will take care of it). Other parts are on ebay as well for pretty reasonable prices, but I think id probably just modify the existing cartridge guide. I dont think any other parts are needed, but again, they are available reasonably. If one does their own work, most of it is not that complicated to clearance the barrel for the extractor cut, and clearance the receiver wall. None of it is very complicated for a home gunsmith, but I guess the regular gunsmiths could decide what they would charge. In my case, i would pay someone with a mill to drill and tap the 4 scope mount holes, so thats probably going to be the major cost other than the bolt. I think it will probably come in well under the cost of 2 other rifles.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... y&_sacat=0

Edit: it looks like AE barrels can be had for $80 to $100 if one didnt want to mess with making the extractor cut modification to the old top eject barrel.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:18 am
Griff wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:15 pm I'm sure it could be done, with enough folding money to buy 2 other rifles... I do wonder what it would d the strength of the receiver. I'm not fan of the mdl 94AE for the same reason. As far as I know, the only internal part that differs on the 94AE is the right cartridge guide... it's also cut down for the needed clearance to angle eject. The extractor enjoys a new locations on the bolt, and the ejector may also.

The strength question would seem pretty settled if one is using standard rounds that the gun is made for. Theyve made the AEs for about 40 years with no reported stretching or failures that Ive heard of other than when converted to rounds way outside the safe range for the gun regardless of if AE or not. A forged late pre-64 should hold up OK.

The cost? I mentioned above the complete AE bolts cost around $30, maybe a bit more now (just looked, $25 to $40 or so will take care of it). Other parts are on ebay as well for pretty reasonable prices, but I think id probably just modify the existing cartridge guide. I dont think any other parts are needed, but again, they are available reasonably. If one does their own work, most of it is not that complicated to clearance the barrel for the extractor cut, and clearance the receiver wall. None of it is very complicated for a home gunsmith, but I guess the regular gunsmiths could decide what they would charge. In my case, i would pay someone with a mill to drill and tap the 4 scope mount holes, so thats probably going to be the major cost other than the bolt. I think it will probably come in well under the cost of 2 other rifles.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... y&_sacat=0

Edit: it looks like AE barrels can be had for $80 to $100 if one didnt want to mess with making the extractor cut modification to the old top eject barrel.
Aye, but he's talking about converting an 1892, not a 94. No makes an an AE version to glean parts from.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Well...I guess that shoots that idea 🤣
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:08 pm Aye, but he's talking about converting an 1892, not a 94. No makes an an AE version to glean parts from.

Indeed.

The OP mentioned 92/94, which seemed to indicate an either/or question. I agree, 92, not practical. If 94, not so much of an issue.

...However, an ambitious and talented gunsmith could probably graft the front section of a 94 AE bolt to a rear section of a 92 bolt, or perhaps machine a 94 AE bolt to work in a 92. All of which is way out of the practical category.

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My suggestion is sell or trade the current one for and angle eject. Would be less expensive and easier in the long run.