30 Remington dies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

30 Remington dies

Post by elmo123 »

I have an opportunity to buy a Remington Model 14 in 30 Remington and I have a small supply of brass but no dies to reload them with, I do reload for the 30-30. Since the case dimensions are close sans the rim has anyone here used 30-30 dies to reload the 30 Remington?
Midsouth has a set of 30 Remington has a set of dies in stock but I don't plan on shooting this rifle that much.

Thanks,
Mike
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: 30 Remington dies

Post by AmBraCol »

elmo123 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:48 pm I have an opportunity to buy a Remington Model 14 in 30 Remington and I have a small supply of brass but no dies to reload them with, I do reload for the 30-30. Since the case dimensions are close sans the rim has anyone here used 30-30 dies to reload the 30 Remington?
Midsouth has a set of 30 Remington has a set of dies in stock but I don't plan on shooting this rifle that much.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm pretty sure you can use the 30 WCF/30-30 dies for the old 30 Remington round, changing out the shell holder of course. You can also form brass from the 30-30 for the Remington round, cutting down the rim to appropriate dimensions of course. I remember finding such brass in some of my dad's old stuff way back when - but have NO idea what ever happened to the rifle it was for.

BE CAREFUL. Current dies just may be for the 30 Remington AR or whatever they call the current AR-15 oriented cartridge. When ordering dies make SURE it's for the good old fashioned 30 Remington.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My Lee dies are labeled "30-30 / 30 Remington".
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sure can…..I’ve had several model 14’s and I used the 30-30 dies and as you know you will need a different shell holder…just be careful when setting the FLS and just size it to where it just locks up in the chamber so you don’t set the shoulder back and creat excessive headspace.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Or you just buy a set of RCBS .30 Remington dies from Grafs or Midway. I have the RCBS set for my Model 8.
For brass, I use Grafs .32 Remington necked down. They are out right now, but Buffalo Arms shows Jamison in stock.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

there is an antique mall near me that has a counter with some boxes of ammo and I remember seeing a box of 30 rem ammo for not a bad price at all. less than most current ammo costs for a box of 20 I think. let me know if this is something you are interested in.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

There are small dimensional differences such that if you screw the 30/30 full-length size die down until it bumps the shell holder you will create significant excess headspace in your 30 Rem. But if you do like Sixgun says and adjust FL die until the shoulder just bumps you should get the job done. And if you're using cast bullet loads at the usual low pressures we shoot casties you will probably never need to do anything other than neck size anyway.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry