Chiappa 1892 TRAPPER - .38 Special feeding

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Chiappa 1892 TRAPPER - .38 Special feeding

Post by trooper joe »

In March of this year, I ordered one of these Chiappa carbines. It was advertised that it would feed and shoot both .357 Mag and .38 Special. However, when I received it, I found that it would not feed .38 Special A-Zoom snap caps at all.

The description of the gun by the selling dealer was as follows:

Chiappa 1892 TRAPPER Color Case Hardened Carbine Lever Action Rifle 16" 8+1 357 Magnum / 38 Special MPN: 920.335 UPC: 8053670710542

The owners manual seemed to be “luke warm” on the issue of .38 Special saying that OAL should be 39mm (1.53”).

I found that most ad’s for this gun stated that it would handle .38 Special.

After numerous contacts with both the dealer and Chiappa, I found that the gun will indeed feed and shoot .38 Special loads. I just sent this message to Chiappa @nd my dealer:

…” I have found that it is the bullet shape on .38 Spec rounds that seem to be the defining answer to this issue. I tried two different “FBI” .38 Spec. +P loads that feed very smoothly. One is a Federal, semi-wad cutter hp lead (1.445”) and the other a Remington 158 grn semi jacketed (1.45”). So it looks like, at least on my gun, that AOL of 1.53” is not necessary.

I believe that shorter .38 Spec loads (with lighter bullets) may still have a problem.”…

I really like this gun and it will be a keeper. Chiappa USA and the dealer really went overboard on helping me with this issue.

In 1966, I had a Winchester SRC, 32-20 converted to .357 by a gunsmith friend of mine. I carried that on patrol as a state trooper at my first post at Flint Michigan. This Chiappa trapper is a faithful. reproduction of that gun.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe
cavelamb
Levergunner

Re: Chiappa 1892 TRAPPER - .38 Special feeding

Post by cavelamb »

This is a fairly common problem with modern lever rifles.
At least it has been on every R92 I've seen from Braztech.

The problem stems from a minor change to the cartridge stop.
It is supposed to swing out in the path of the magazine tube to
stop the next cartridge from jamming onto the litter.

Take a look at the video for the R92 and see if your rifle has the same problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6B9CiGcLIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cutCGYGW8cQ

If that's the case with yours it's a fairly simple fix.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

No pictures of the Chiappa?
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by trooper joe »

Here are some photos of the carbine:

I don’t really care for the saddle ring. The saddle ring stud was threaded into the receiver so I unscrewed it and screwed in a small allen key threaded plug.

Just got back from the range today. The .38 Special ammo fed like silk.

30 feet with .38 Special and .357.

75 feet with blurry vision, open sights with .357

Trooper Joe
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Nice!! The Chiappa is the closest thing to original Winchester 1892 ,just wish they were a little cheaper.