Brazilian Cavalry combo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Brazilian Cavalry combo

Post by 2ndovc »

Still looking for the correct grips for the 1937, but they will do for now. I bought the CZ 1908/34 Cavalry carbine about 30 years ago for $200 if I remember right. I haven't seen another one in years, except my dad's. We picked them out of the same pile When Springfield Sporters was still around. It's the only 7x57 I have currently and can't remember the last time I had it out. Going to have to fix that.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Brazilian Cavalry combo

Post by Ray »

This made me remember the first centerfire bought with my own coin. It was a 1893 mauser that I bought for $30 in 1982 and cost me another $35 for the cut and recrown and sight drilling/tapping. Can't remember what the williams sights cost me but I recall ordering from numrich. I foolishly traded it away from immature embarrassment. My peers castigated it due to the unbent bolt handle sticking straight out to starboard and the gaps under the new sights from the concave of the under sides not matching the convex of barrel contour. 7x57 ammo wasn't terribly common but the hardware stores could get it.
m.A.g.a. !
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I like short Mausers, though the only one I currently have is a Spanish 1916 in 7.62 (Cetme?, NATO?) something. I generally load it with 150's at around 2200 and pretend it's a 30-30.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

samsi wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:40 pm I like short Mausers, though the only one I currently have is a Spanish 1916 in 7.62 (Cetme?, NATO?) something. I generally load it with 150's at around 2200 and pretend it's a 30-30.
That should do just fine on deer or black bear.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Samsi, y'all don't want to load those Spanish .308s anywhere near top end. You are doing the right thing.
Jason, never a thing wrong with a 7X57, unless in a Remington rollng block. Don't trust them, even if said to be "smokeless."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:34 pm Jason, never a thing wrong with a 7X57, unless in a Remington rollng block. Don't trust them, even if said to be "smokeless."
Details? I had a 7mm rolling block that seemed to handle the store bought ammo OK. Bought cheap by USPS in AZ back in the freedom era. Accurate and good penetration, from what I could tell . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh yeah! Let the combo's continue!!! :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, at a small gun shop in Grants Pass, OR, where I used to poke my head in regularly, one day there appeared six or seven rolling blocks of various flavors. I asked the owner, Phil, if these were from an estate. No, he said, a rolling block collector just brought them in, and let me show you why. He led me to the far end of the counter and pulled out a No. 5 "smokeless" in otherwise very nice condition except the receiver and chamber had opened like a flower. He said the collector has been shooting standard low-pressure commercial 7X57 ammunition in it when it suddenly let go, and he nearly lost an eye. That was enough for him and he decided he did not want any more rolling blocks in the house.
That said, I shoot RBs in good condition with BPC loads. If I had a smokeless in 7X57 or 8mm Lebel, I would consider them cast bullet rifles.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There are serious chamber variations in the RBs, especially the 7x57s. I was told long ago to do a chamber cast on the 7mms, which I did when I had one. That particular 7mm had no issues, but I still shot cast bullets out of it 90% of the time. That's one I really wish I'd kept. Cool old rifle.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:28 am Grizz, at a small gun shop in Grants Pass, OR, where I used to poke my head in regularly, one day there appeared six or seven rolling blocks of various flavors. I asked the owner, Phil, if these were from an estate. No, he said, a rolling block collector just brought them in, and let me show you why. He led me to the far end of the counter and pulled out a No. 5 "smokeless" in otherwise very nice condition except the receiver and chamber had opened like a flower. He said the collector has been shooting standard low-pressure commercial 7X57 ammunition in it when it suddenly let go, and he nearly lost an eye. That was enough for him and he decided he did not want any more rolling blocks in the house.
That said, I shoot RBs in good condition with BPC loads. If I had a smokeless in 7X57 or 8mm Lebel, I would consider them cast bullet rifles.
That's disappointing. I still miss the 7mm carbine. It looked like it might have been a participant in the Mex civil war perhaps. It disappeared after I flew the coop, so I can't know. What would someone have to look for to get a strong one? The US ones seemed to be very strong actions.