Dropping the tension on rossi 92 loading gate ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Dropping the tension on rossi 92 loading gate ?

Post by bcraig »

For those who have done this ,how did you do this ?
Bending the loading gate flat spring or thinning the loading gate flat spring ?

Pros or cons for both methods ?

Anyone got any pic's of the modified Loading gate flat spring?

Thank's
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dropping the tension on rossi 92 loading gate ?

Post by Tycer »

Thinning. Sorry, no pic.
If you haven’t bought Steve’s dvd you might want to consider it. Get the mag follower and ejector spring too. The machine can operate one finger butter smooth with a little bit of fitting. The dvd shows you how.
https://stevesgunz.com/
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Before you modify anything be sure the gate is properly in place and that the loading gate screw is tight.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

The Old Amadeo Rossi had a cheaply made two piece flat spring riveted to the cover itself. Mine ,really is pretty soft no harder than the original Winchester. I believe though these newer Taurus are made different .

Usually on flat springs you narrow the width not the thickness .that's how the reduced main springs for Colt SAA are done.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Also, be sure you sand out even the tiniest burrs left by the file in order to prevent cracking of the spring steel.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Tycer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:47 am Thinning. Sorry, no pic.
If you haven’t bought Steve’s dvd you might want to consider it. Get the mag follower and ejector spring too. The machine can operate one finger butter smooth with a little bit of fitting. The dvd shows you how.
+1
It is not the critic who counts
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Pat C wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:49 am The Old Amadeo Rossi had a cheaply made two piece flat spring riveted to the cover itself. Mine ,really is pretty soft no harder than the original Winchester. I believe though these newer Taurus are made different .

Usually on flat springs you narrow the width not the thickness .that's how the reduced main springs for Colt SAA are done.
Hi Pat
This pic is of the loading gate the side that is inside the reciever.

This pic is of the loading gate as seen from the outside of the reciever.

The Loading gate is one piece.

I have read in different forums that some people bend them ,although I don't know where they bend them.

And I have read that some people make them look like an hourglass shape like this )(
but it seems to me that the hourglass shape would have to be confined to the area between the loading gate (that the shell presses against) and the thicker part where the screw comes from outside to screw into the loading inside the reciever.
If that is correct approximately how far below the Gate would you start the Hourglass shape and how far up from the Screw hole where the screw goes through the reciever ?

Thank's

BTW on the Barrel it say's,MADE BRAZIL BY CBC then under that is says BRAZTECH INTERNATIONAL BAINBRIDGE GA

IS this a Taurus made Gun ?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I bought a replacement for my Marlin from Ranger Point Precision.

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-loading-gate/

Not sure if they make em for Rossis but they might.

I did notice they actually have a section of parts for the 444 Marlin...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Normally if spring tension is reduced you remove from each side of springs width NOT thickness. Like how the SAA reduced mainsprings.Thats what I would do,going slow with dremmel sanding drum to a pencil line on each side.Try until you get the feel you want .
Afterwards a smooth polish along those sides to finish.
Remember that is a cast part so ,you get to bending trying to alter it will probably break.

You don't have the strength of directional grain in that casting.
Castings the grain has no direction .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I visited a few sites regarding the issue and I am curious if you have thought of other solutions to the issue. Most complaints were about the thumb getting cut up on sharp edges during loading. The one issue that I did see that might be semi related was the excessively LONG magazine spring. Most of them were cutting the magazine spring back to where it only extended past the tube about 4-5" uncompressed. It looked like they were still cutting 5" or so off the spring. They all reported that they had easier loading after the modification. Then I would replace the plastic follower that comes on the gun with a metal or aluminum one. Plastic will grab every little burr inside the magazine tube, and Rossi's are notorious for burr's. You might try Steve's Guns Follower to replace the original. If you are going to try to bend the gate, I recommend laying it face down and penning it with a hammer in the center. Probably dont have to hit it real hard. My own personal rule when working on a gun is to buy replacement parts and modify those. If it aint 100% right, you can always throw the originals back on and there is no harm.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

horsesoldier03 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:30 am I visited a few sites regarding the issue and I am curious if you have thought of other solutions to the issue. Most complaints were about the thumb getting cut up on sharp edges during loading. The one issue that I did see that might be semi related was the excessively LONG magazine spring. Most of them were cutting the magazine spring back to where it only extended past the tube about 4-5" uncompressed. It looked like they were still cutting 5" or so off the spring. They all reported that they had easier loading after the modification. Then I would replace the plastic follower that comes on the gun with a metal or aluminum one. Plastic will grab every little burr inside the magazine tube, and Rossi's are notorious for burr's. You might try Steve's Guns Follower to replace the original. If you are going to try to bend the gate, I recommend laying it face down and penning it with a hammer in the center. Probably dont have to hit it real hard. My own personal rule when working on a gun is to buy replacement parts and modify those. If it aint 100% right, you can always throw the originals back on and there is no harm.
Hi
So far I have not had any problems with the loading gate cutting my thumb but will take a Piece of emery paper to the gate before I put it back together . The rifle is stainless so I wont have to do any touch up finish .

I have already cut the magazine spring but I only cut 1-1/2 inches off and it did help a little bit , I had read that the Magazine spring was the same length on 20 and 24 inch barrels so I felt like I could have cut more but did not want to take too much to start,I can always take a little more later.

I think that the steel or brass follower is a good idea with the steel probably being the best and intend to pick up one somewhere.

I think that I will probably try the tapering of the spring as I have read several different places that the gate may snap when trying to bend it .

Sure would hate to have to buy a $50.00 cheap cast replacement to replace it.

$50.00 is rediculous for cast Part,I might could see the price if it was Machined from good steel .

Anyway, Thanks for your help
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

bcraig,

For the gate tension, try making a brass (or aluminum, brass is better) shim for under the spring, something like 0.005 to 0.010". Drill a hole the size of the gate screw in the shim material first then cut or sand the shim to the size of the gate rear portion/stem until it slides in the the receiver slot at the gate back. Then put gate in the receiver slot and screw it down. Alright that is just the direct idea of how to do it but actual manipulation to all three part is up to your ability to handle the parts. Try the tension making shims of different thicknesses until you like it. I would not go any thicker than 0.010. You have to watch that the shim is not too thick so that the locking lugs do not rub against the gait spring. NOTE: I got this through guidance from a gunsmith/fellow shooter from a different site. I had to buy the different shim thickness off of Amazon or ebay. Be careful not all listed thickness are true sizes, some listed items are in millimeters (mm's).

As for as the follower, I immediately changed mine to steel or stainless. In a 44 or 44/40 the Marlin 1894 follower works with a slight thinning of the nose. For the 357 I bought the durango-onlineoutpost one off of ebay and it slid in easily and works perfect. The plastic used in the factory - can be and is affected by heat from firing and/or chemical cleaning.

Have fun.

PS. -- The interior of my 357 did not need any polishing or cleaning. That was a nice thing to see with the these newer Rossi's.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Pat C wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:07 am Normally if spring tension is reduced you remove from each side of springs width NOT thickness. Like how the SAA reduced mainsprings.Thats what I would do,going slow with dremmel sanding drum to a pencil line on each side.Try until you get the feel you want .
Remember that is a cast part so ,you get to bending trying to alter it will probably break.

Hi Pat
Are those both rossi 92 loading gates ?

The top pic looks like a 92 loading gate but not sure about the bottom gate.
If the bottom pic is a 92 loading gate then it seems as though the taper goes through the actual gate itself ?

Thanks
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

bcraig wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:44 pm
Pat C wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:07 am Normally if spring tension is reduced you remove from each side of springs width NOT thickness. Like how the SAA reduced mainsprings.Thats what I would do,going slow with dremmel sanding drum to a pencil line on each side.Try until you get the feel you want .

Hi Pat

If the bottom pic is a 92 loading gate then it seems as though the taper goes through the actual gate itself ?

Thanks
Neither, they are Colt SAA main springs ,top is reduced power by thinning sides. Bottom as original.
Just for referance to what needs to be done to your spring cover arm.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Pat C wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:55 pm
bcraig wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Hi Pat

Thanks
Neither, they are Colt SAA main springs ,top is reduced power by thinning sides. Bottom as original.
Just for referance to what needs to be done to your spring cover arm.
Ok Thanks
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

black river smith wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:26 pm bcraig,

For the gate tension, try making a brass (or aluminum, brass is better) shim for under the spring, something like 0.005 to 0.010". Drill a hole the size of the gate screw in the shim material first then cut or sand the shim to the size of the gate rear portion/stem until it slides in the the receiver slot at the gate back. Then put gate in the receiver slot and screw it down. Alright that is just the direct idea of how to do it but actual manipulation to all three part is up to your ability to handle the parts. Try the tension making shims of different thicknesses until you like it. I would not go any thicker than 0.010. You have to watch that the shim is not too thick so that the locking lugs do not rub against the gait spring. NOTE: I got this through guidance from a gunsmith/fellow shooter from a different site. I had to buy the different shim thickness off of Amazon or ebay. Be careful not all listed thickness are true sizes, some listed items are in millimeters (mm's).

As for as the follower, I immediately changed mine to steel or stainless. In a 44 or 44/40 the Marlin 1894 follower works with a slight thinning of the nose. For the 357 I bought the durango-onlineoutpost one off of ebay and it slid in easily and works perfect. The plastic used in the factory - can be and is affected by heat from firing and/or chemical cleaning.

Have fun.

PS. -- The interior of my 357 did not need any polishing or cleaning. That was a nice thing to see with the these newer Rossi's.
That is an interesting way of doing it !

Concerning the Follower and seller on ebay ,I read your post about the follower and asked a question on the post that you made about it ,then I contacted the seller and asked the seller several questions about the follower and the seller sent me a answer about one of my questions But not all of my questions so I sent another request for all of my questions to be addressed and worded the second request in a nice polite manner and have not heard back from the seller yet.

And posted that in your post that you had talking about the follower and how much that you liked it Today.
I was going to buy at least one for a 38/357 and probably another one for my 44 special 44 magnum but I was hesitant until I had all my questions answered.
I am still Hesitant of buying from someone who will not answer (at least not yet )a Politely worded request for more information about an item that they are selling .

But I do think from what I have read repeatedly from others that a steel follower is a good idea to replace the plastic follower.

Thanks for the information

APPOLOGY DUE ......................
I Made A Misstatement, that was not your post it was Trooper Joes Post where I first read of the follower on ebay.
Indeed, fun is the name of the game !

Thanks again
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

bcraig,

I can understand your hesitation about a non-responsive seller but I would also point out that there are not a 'lot' of other options/sources for these after-market items. The manufacturer in past years has been reluctant to sell 'PARTS' for general repairs. They demanded that firearm be sent back to manufacturer for any repairing or alterations. So, factory and aftermarket part are limited. That alone is a shame but is the real limiting factor for fixing what we want.

Back when, I did see your comments about the non-response to your questions and interest into why 'he' still listed that when no longer made or sold. 'My' Simple Answer to that is/would be -- It is harder and more costly to change/correct a website or recreate an Ebay listing (that people may have saved) -- then it is to just say when requested - it is no longer being produced or available. The decision to no longer make the longer follower for older rifle could be or is most likely demand issues. Most older rifles already had followers changed by previous owners so no one was buying enough volume to manufacture, Most Likely. The bolded line is the key you would be told, I think.

So, for me the decision was based off of take the follower out of my new rifle and comparing the configuration to the ones he was offering. Mine was the shorter nose shape so that is what I bought. Now if it WAS the longer nose and he came back with 'That is no longer available', then I would question him and ask where could I possibly get one.

With as many as he has already sold, I do not believe he is cheating anyone. Only my opinion and only because my dealing went off fine.

Hope this helps you.

PS -- We are still lucky to have Steve's Gunz to go to for certain items also.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bcraig wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:30 pm [
Concerning the Follower and seller on ebay ,I read your post about the follower and asked a question on the post that you made about it ,then I contacted the seller and asked the seller several questions about the follower and the seller sent me a answer about one of my questions But not all of my questions so I sent another request for all of my questions to be addressed and worded the second request in a nice polite manner and have not heard back from the seller yet.
Get the followers from Steve. Get ejector springs too.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Tycer wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:20 pm
bcraig wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:30 pm [
Get the followers from Steve. Get ejector springs too.
Thanks
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

black river smith wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:51 pm bcraig,

I can understand your hesitation about a non-responsive seller but I would also point out that there are not a 'lot' of other options/sources for these after-market items. The manufacturer in past years has been reluctant to sell 'PARTS' for general repairs. They demanded that firearm be sent back to manufacturer for any repairing or alterations. So, factory and aftermarket part are limited. That alone is a shame but is the real limiting factor for fixing what we want.

Back when, I did see your comments about the non-response to your questions and interest into why 'he' still listed that when no longer made or sold. 'My' Simple Answer to that is/would be -- It is harder and more costly to change/correct a website or recreate an Ebay listing (that people may have saved) -- then it is to just say when requested - it is no longer being produced or available. The decision to no longer make the longer follower for older rifle could be or is most likely demand issues. Most older rifles already had followers changed by previous owners so no one was buying enough volume to manufacture, Most Likely. The bolded line is the key you would be told, I think.

So, for me the decision was based off of take the follower out of my new rifle and comparing the configuration to the ones he was offering. Mine was the shorter nose shape so that is what I bought. Now if it WAS the longer nose and he came back with 'That is no longer available', then I would question him and ask where could I possibly get one.

With as many as he has already sold, I do not believe he is cheating anyone. Only my opinion and only because my dealing went off fine.

Hope this helps you.

PS -- We are still lucky to have Steve's Gunz to go to for certain items also.
Thank's
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:07 am .
I bought a replacement for my Marlin from Ranger Point Precision.

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-loading-gate/

Not sure if they make em for Rossis but they might.

I did notice they actually have a section of parts for the 444 Marlin...!
They do not but but like most they have a lot of parts selling for outrageous prices ! :shock:

Thank's
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Paladin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:10 pm
Tycer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:47 am Thinning. Sorry, no pic.
+1
Thank's
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Walt wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:58 am Also, be sure you sand out even the tiniest burrs left by the file in order to prevent cracking of the spring steel.
Thank's
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Pisgah wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:00 am Before you modify anything be sure the gate is properly in place and that the loading gate screw is tight.
Yes it was pretty tight
When I get the Loading gate like I want it I will put a little drop of fingernail polish on the screw

Thank's