Some Years Back I Realized I Needed More Light

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Some Years Back I Realized I Needed More Light

Post by COSteve »

I've done dozens of custom things to my press to make it work just right for me and every one of them was a joy. It must be part of why we like to handload. It's about taking pieces and parts and making something of them that is so satisfying to us. Everyone I know who enjoys the hobby is also a tinkerer.

One of my projects that I'm proud of is a light in my toolhead to light up the shellplate. I made it about 8 yrs ago, before they started selling the kits for like $40. Mine cost me $6.12 and consists of a 2-pack of LED tail light bulbs (1 spare), a 110v to 12v transformer, switch, 20 gauge fired Shotgun shell, piece of wood, ziptie and a fiber washer.

I use the shotgun shell as the mount and added the fiber washer as some of my toolheads have a bigger center hole than the 20 gauge's rim, drilled out the flashhole to run wire through and soldered it to the LED tail light bulb. Mounted the transformer to my press with a ziptie and added a switch to turn it on and off. The wood piece I used to mount the on-off switch as I just feel that sparks and gunpowder don't play well together! :lol:

LED and shotgun shell mount wired to the transformer and lit to verify connection:
IMG_2705.JPG
Light Mounted in Toolhead. Assy. pulls out easily to swap toolheads:
IMG_2704.JPG
Black line is ziptie holding the transformer just out of picture showing just how much it lights up the shellplate:
IMG_2707.JPG
On-Off switch mounted on a wood block for safety behind my custom wood toolholder:
IMG_3383.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Some Years Back I Realized I Needed More Light

Post by JBowen »

Great idea COSteve. That could be adapted to use on a number of things.
Thanks for sharing.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Some Years Back I Realized I Needed More Light

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice setup Steve. I haven't gotten to needing a light on my press yet as I mounted a 4' fluorescent fixture over my bench and it's very adequate for now.
However!
When my mom had her knees replaced I made a shelf for her walker, mounted underneath is a battery pack wired to a switch that goes to a double usb fixture with little led lights so she could see when she got up at night.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!