Unusual Brass You Say?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Unusual Brass You Say?

Post by COSteve »

My wife and I took her mother home to Stockton, CA back in 2020 after a protracted stay and rather than the direct route, we too the 'long cut' through New Mexico and Arizona, stopping at some interesting places along the way. Two places we stopped at were the Petrified Forest National Park, NM and Tombstone, AZ as she'd never been to either place.

In Tombstone, we had lunch and walked around the town with my wife and her mother stopping in all the shops looking for whatever. I saw a indoor shooting gallery and decided to check it out while they shopped. Inside was a nice gentleman with real Colt Peacemakes shooting wax bullets with just primers for propellant but no customers. We got to talking and he mentioned that he made his own ammo so I said I reloaded as well and before we knew it we were sharing pictures of our setups.

We discovered that we loaded many of the same calibers and so we shared load data and such. I had a great time but had to catch up with the girls so I told him thanks for the chat and I hoped he would have a great day. He said wait a minute and went to this cabinet and pulled out a box. In it were empty shell casings and he handed me one. He said he'd got them made by Jagemann Sporting Group for his shop.

I asked if I could pay him for it but he refused so I thanked him for the unique gift. It sort of made my day. The people in this hobby are wonderful.
PXL_20230812_212308284.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Ysabel Kid

Re: Unusual Brass You Say?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool story and headstamp! 8)
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Like I said, I've been really fortunate meeting other handloaders. Not necessarily reloaders who may only be doing it grudgingly to save a buck but the one's who really enjoy the hobby like I do. I think they are some of the best people I know.
Steve
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I popped a few caps there (literally), I believe it was called Gunfight Palace - thinking it shut down around the time of the Covid hysteria. Did he happen to share the paintball load with you (the wax bullet or paintball specifically)? Would be fun to make some up.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Very cool!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

samsi wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:40 pm I popped a few caps there (literally), I believe it was called Gunfight Palace - thinking it shut down around the time of the Covid hysteria. Did he happen to share the paintball load with you (the wax bullet or paintball specifically)? Would be fun to make some up.
It was about a 15' deep gallery as I remember and he said he just used the primer, no powder. I asked if he enlarged the flash hole or used magnum primers and he said no to both.
Steve
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... hp?t=87915

The shotgun primered .45 colt cases are quite fun and hit demonstrably harder than my old .38 spl. loads with canning wax wadcutters. The two smaller grand-imps prefer them to BB guns. Louder than you'd think.....
m.A.g.a. !
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Just some supplemental info -- they've moved the Petrified Forest from New Mexico to Arizona... :wink:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Pisgah wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:44 am Just some supplemental info -- they've moved the Petrified Forest from New Mexico to Arizona... :wink:
You're right. We came into it from NM and it's close to the border.
Steve