A practical firearms 'drill' that uses no ammunition up...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

A practical firearms 'drill' that uses no ammunition up...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have many patients who have seen the poster in my exam-rooms on the "First Million Mom's March", or other various firearms-related material, and have realized that unlike the 'employee' physicians who are censored, or just those who have sheltered gated-subdivision lifestyles, I am willing to encourage safe and responsible firearms ownership. Also, although the E.R. is the place that sexual assault victims often wind up initially evaluated, the aftermath is typically dealt with by the family physician. Those things, combined with the revolving-door criminal justice system, and current political instability, have let many of my patient families to become first-time firearms owners.

I make the same general recommendations we all probably do:

1. figure out the best firearm(s) for your situation - handgun vs rifle vs shotgun, caliber, maybe 22 LR also for more practice
2. get a secure storage system figured out - secure but rapidly accessible
3. get training in basic firearms safety for all family members, even those who don't think they will 'participate'
4. Get A-Zoom brand 'snap-caps' for your guns, and practice handling, loading, unloading, with them extensively
5. practice as often as possible, using something like a MantisX for dry-fire, or with live ammo at a range
6. get PLENTY of ammunition so you can practice and practice and practice - practice with 'carry' ammo as well
7. for a carry gun, spend time figuring out a holster that works well for you
8. read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob

One thing I have added is an expansion on #4 - the original thought was to get the person to become intimately familiar with the mechanics of their particular firearm, and enough so that they are not only safer when handling the gun, but that when they get to the range, they can focus on SHOOTING accurately and rapidly, versus fumbling around and re-learning the controls of the gun. If they have practiced extensively handling the gun with the snap-caps, they will waste FAR less time re-learning how to operate the firearm, and get more for their time and money at the range.

However, as my daughter, son-in-law, and baby moved in with us for awhile, and I've had off and on problems over the years with disgruntled patients (druggies we catch with street drugs in their urine, etc) we dismiss, or even ex-employees who on occasion threaten harm, plus just the chance of random criminal activity happening when you live in a remote area (or anywhere, for that matter), I thought it would be good to do a 'refresher' course for my daughter in firearms handling, and a 'newbie' course for my son-in-law. My daughter knows how to shoot HER handgun, which his mostly what counts, but being enough of a redneck that there are several firearms she might be able to access if something bad were to happen, I realized that (for instance) she hadn't shot an AR-15 all that much, nor leverguns ( < gasp > ) and probably hadn't ever shot a 1911. All are in the easy-access safe so I figured she needs to learn those, and of course her spouse needs to learn them all.

So the other day I got out all the "guns you might find 'laying around'" and A-Zooms for all of them, clearing all the actions and having zero live-ammo in the room at the time. Then we gathered around and I first showed everyone HOW to check that the gun was clear/safe (visualize an empty chamber, no rounds in the action or magazine, etc.) Then I handed them empty magazines and they loaded and unloaded the A-Zooms into the magazines. Then they inserted magazines in the guns and chambered rounds, or loaded the revolvers, and then operated the safeties when necessary, pointed the firearms in a safe direction, and 'fired' them; the ones with lights or other gizmos they learned to switch on and off. They then re-operated the slide or action, and 'fired' again, put any safety on that was needed, unloaded the weapon, then un-chambered them.

The above didn't take but maybe 15 minutes, but gave them familiarity with the guns they might encounter. There is basically one handgun and one long gun upstairs that are 'handy' and one handgun and one long gun downstairs that are 'handy'. A couple others I sometimes 'rotate' into the mix we trained with as well. Due to action design and type, some are stored chambered if in a rapid-access safe, but most are not.

Second lesson a few days later was more brief and practical. Again, we publicly verified that guns were safe and unloaded, then I just 'tossed' random guns to random adults, and they were to simply 'fire' them at the wall, and work the action, then fire a second time. Simple 'drill', but required them to at least know where any safety was, operate that if needed, and know how to work the action in case the firearm was picked up un-chambered.

We will repeat the latter 'drill' a couple more times, because in an emergency, I think any family member of any family should be able to be 'tossed' any firearm that is in the household, and immediately be able to bring it into action, AND be able to render it 'safe' when needed. I was at a range once where a 12 year old kid picked up a revolver someone had laid on the counter with the hammer back, and that was a bit scary to say the least. Turns out the gun wasn't loaded, but had it been, even an adult might have trouble not accidentally discharging it trying to let that hammer down safely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: A practical firearms 'drill' that uses no ammunition up...

Post by JimT »

Thank you and GOOD FOR YOU! We all must do this more!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:02 amThank you and GOOD FOR YOU! We all must do this more!
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It's been a very long time since we have had anyone stay for a prolonged period other than my kids. Being former Marines they and LEOs they don't need any instruction from me. But like girlfriend to drive my youngest ask that I do the initial instruction for his girl. Now there was no issue with size or strength as some small women have. This lady is 5' 10", a bit taller than I am. A life long horsewoman she is deceptively strong.

She started as I do anyone, a single action .22 lr Single Six. That horsewoman bit makes her not only stronger than a lot of women, but with excellent hand/eye coordination and dexterity. She took right to shooting. Once she was confident and familiar with "gun stuff" my kid took over. Handgun or long gun she is now competent and confident, carries daily.

Now when they come to stay (not near often enough) she is usually the one who looks in the safe first to see what's on tap shoud the need arise. In teaching anyone anything the most important component is desire to learn. If that desire isn't there all of the instruction in the world will be waisted.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:02 am Thank you and GOOD FOR YOU! We all must do this more!
Ditto
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com