Another Look At 357Mag For Deer Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Another Look At 357Mag For Deer Hunting

Post by Drawdown »

20220220_141555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220220_141535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220220_141516.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:13 pm Ever see a deer hit with a 12 ga slug? 1oz of lead doing 12-1400 fps should clearly knock it down right? Not unless you break major bone. Ive killed more than 100 deer, can't remember but a handful that dropped in their tracks, those were mostly headshots! Copoer solids just zip through!
Yes!!!! I grew up in a shotgun only area of the state so I've shot deer with slugs. They definitely don't just drop. well, sometimes they do. We used the original breneke's (1 1/8 oz) and I shot a yearling one time that had run up close and realized I was right there and was about to bolt so I shot it in the chest and the slug penetrated the full length of that poor little deer. Needless to say, it dropped right there. But in general, I've had MUCH better success with my 30-30 than I ever did with the 12 ga, which I'm sure is mostly related to my ability to much more reliably (like every time) put the bullet where it needs to be than I could with that smooth bore 12ga.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I don’t think a .357 is an equivalent to a .30-30. The best a .357 can do is approach the velocity of a .30-30 in a carbine. But a .30-30 has bullets that are well designed to work with that velocity and penetrate deeply.

I’ll also not argue that the bigger bore magnums are better at effectively killing all manner of game.

I think a .30-30 is a better deer rifle than anything you can shoot in a .357. But that doesn’t mean that a .357 isn’t a useful deer gun.

Fortunately my Marlin and Rossi both like the same load that shoots so well in my revolvers. Here’s three shots offhand this morning at 25 yards. Right at the top of the bead. At 100, I just put the bead on an 8 inch plate and I almost can’t miss.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

My first rifle was a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I hunted with it from the age of 15 until my late forties at least, killing about 25 deer with it over the years. The furtherest distance was right at 200 yards. Yes, I did have 3 or 4 that walked away but it was pretty much all my fault each time I failed. The 30-30 IMO is far more superior than a .357 when it comes to deer. However, you hear of people using .22s, .223 / 5.56. Personally, I decided to move to a .308 soley because I was tired of watching big deer pass at 300 yards.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Johnnyjr
Levergunner

Post by Johnnyjr »

I'm wondering if 158 gr cast bullets are good for deer or is the Hornady 158 gr xtp a better choice. From my rossi 92. With the slow twist. Any advice on this? Thanks
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think the XTP will do a better job. But either will work just fine if you put the bullet through where the good stuff is.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I dont shoot deer but shot hogs with a 357 mag rossi and158xtp. things fell over pretty fast out to 100 yards when bullet starts out at 1850-1900fps. I shot a few at close to 150 yards- as range gets out there they run further but retained velocity is still similar to some 357 pistol loads at muzzle and the animals go down if you do your bit.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In my area, shots are rarely over about 100 yards. At 100 yards, I am not too concerned with having enough power. If you cannot get more than .357 Mag, it doesn't matter. I am more concerned with the people using 7mmRem Mag at 100 yards. Overpenetration and damage to lots of things out past what you can see due to the brush is my concern. .357 Mag, 30-30, 35 Remington, .44 Mag all do enough at 100 yards. Just hit the deer in a vital area.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive killed deer and black bear with my Winchester 1892 in 357 mag. Never had an issue
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus