Updated and Improved Python

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Updated and Improved Python

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I just saw an ad from Brownell's about the new Colt Python and it mentions that it's "Updated & Improved". My father always wanted a Python and therefore ... I want one. But I'm hesitant to buy into the updated and improved bit. I've got several Python Jr's in .22 otherwise know as Diamondbacks and I'm pretty happy with them as-is.

Does anyone know what was updated and improved on the new ones ... are we just talking basically about the lock work to make it easier to manufacture?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Updated and Improved Python

Post by GunnyMack »

Nut,
I recently read an article about the new python.
The back strap has had material added, makes it stronger. Less likely to get tweaked like the orignal was claimed to do. I remember hearing about a cop( southpaw) that each time they got in the squad car the butt would rap the door jamb and over time it bent so much that the gun would no longer work. Truth- I dunno?
The hammer spring( main spring) has been changed from a Vee to more of a U shape- supposedly lessens the stacking.
There were a couple other things that slip my mind but those were the big takeaways I remember.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Typically when a manufacturer "improves" a firearm they build it more cheaply by reducing quality. They changed the heart of the Python by changing the action to that of the Trooper Mark V. An easier to build (read cheaper) action that completely removed the feel of an original Python. Colt done a pretty good job selling it's new revolvers to new shooters who simply don't know any better.

Heck, owners of original Pythons ought to sue Colt for bastardizing the name.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I wonder if the "new" Pythons will drive the price of old Pythons into the realm of affordability. It seems like the price of the new ones are quite high for a revolver ... but still not near where the old ones were hovering a few years back. I need to go take a look on the auction sites.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've been offered some pretty amazing amounts for my two, one blued and one stainless, at various ranges. There is a differenc in the feel between those, buth there is also a number of years difference in their manufacutre date.

Now I'm more of a Smith guy. In truth it comes down to the cylinder release more than anything. But the styling of the Python is just beautiful. I also have a Diamondback that I bought primarily because of it external similarity to the Python.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have one of the new Pythons. They share no parts with the old ones except grips. They are beefed up. The tops trap is 30% thicker, the lockwork is supposed to be stronger and less likely to go out of time than the original. The fit and finish on mine is very good.
The single action trigger is not as light as the original, because it had to pass California "drop test" standards. It does lighten with use, however. The double action is very good, with no stacking. The worst part of the whole gun is the rear sight. It is serviceable, but not up to the rest of the guns standards IMO. Wilson Combat makes a drop in replacement that is fantastic. I did spring for that.
Is it worth it.......?
If you want a Python to sit in a box and show your friends, no. If you want a 357 to shoot and use, I think it's great.
I've always been a Smith guy, but I'm not a NEW Smith guy. Any issue the Python has is better than a useless and ugly hole in the side, sleeved barrels, and bead blasted finishes.
This is all my opinion. Try to find one to handle and shoot if you can.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My preference is "Old School" .... :D
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:59 pm I wonder if the "new" Pythons will drive the price of old Pythons into the realm of affordability. It seems like the price of the new ones are quite high for a revolver ... but still not near where the old ones were hovering a few years back. I need to go take a look on the auction sites.
I am thinking the new python will divide the gun into 2 groups... the new gun at a lower price and the old gun at a higher price. I'm thinking pre and post winchester 94's here and JM marlins vs remlins.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:53 am My preference is "Old School" .... :D
Yeah!!! I'm looking forward to graduation ! ! †
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

buckeyeshooter wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:01 am
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:59 pm I wonder if the "new" Pythons will drive the price of old Pythons into the realm of affordability. It seems like the price of the new ones are quite high for a revolver ... but still not near where the old ones were hovering a few years back. I need to go take a look on the auction sites.
I am thinking the new python will divide the gun into 2 groups... the new gun at a lower price and the old gun at a higher price. I'm thinking pre and post winchester 94's here and JM marlins vs remlins.
Yeah, so far it looks like the originals are all still at or above $3k.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

If I were a collector and was interested in gun investments I would consider spending $3K for one, but I'm not. I'm a shooter and I like practical firearms.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think the time is now if you want to buy one as it’s only a matter of time before owners realize that todays $3,000 was yesterdays $2200.

This winter, when people have more time to think about toys, the prices will edge to $4,000.

It’s only money but I say a better investment comes in the form of single action Colts….THEY are climbing fast as the Colt custom shop is only producing between 25-50 a month and those guns are mostly the 150 th anniversary models which are already bought and paid for.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There are a few guys shooting them on another forum I read, the majority of comments are pretty positive regarding how they shoot, once the rear sight issue is dealt with. Theres also a link to a gunsmith that works on them, mainly doing action tuning to further slick them up. I think he said he had worked on several hundred of them and has been impressed overall with the new actions. I dont recall the numbers, but memory (such as it is) tells me the guy said he had 50k or so full power magnums through one of his and no problems with timing. He strongly believes the new guns are much superior to the older ones as far as the design and longevity. He has machined them for the old Eliason sight, and theres a couple other options now, with the Wilson being common now.

Id be interested if they only would make them in blue, Im just not a fan of stainless at all. I cant get too excited ab out the current price of the old ones, but the price of tje current ones is realistic for a premium grade pistol, and considering a off the shelf new Smith model 27 is now in the $1150 range. The new Smiths hold zero interest for me, but thats the current price, the new Pythons arent really priced bad in that light and are probably a better gun than the current Smiths.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Malamute wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:30 pm Id be interested if they only would make them in blue, Im just not a fan of stainless at all.
Yes, exactly. I love the look of a 6" blued Python with that full underlug and vent rib.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

For all around shooting, playing, silhouette competition, even target shooting in the 357 cartridge nothing beats a 27 Smith….next up is a single action Ruger…..after that comes the Python….all in my not-so-humble opinion.

Yes, “ they”say the new Pythons are beefier and longer lasting……mines 47 years old…bought it new and it’s been shot, a fair amount, maybe 3K. “They” also said the same thing on Ruger Flattops and Old Models…..but which ones bring the most amount of money and are more coveted by their owners?

It’s a disgrace that at the cost of a Python why should there be any aftermarket work done on it? “They” can keep the new ones as there’s plenty of old ones out there so if you can afford a new one, you can afford a “pre new model Python”. 😅

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:21 pm Image
I'll admit to being a fan of that style of black rubber grip on a Python / Diamondback. The hold feels better to me ... on my Diamondbacks anyway. The original checkered wood grip, like the one on the nickel Python you have, just reminds me of the bell-bottom corduroy's from the 1970's.

My favorite S&W is the 648 ... with the same type of black rubber grip as on your Python above. They apparently re-issued the 648 with an 8 round cylinder. I don't know what it is about the 22 Magnum in a revolver, but that is absolutely the loudest gun I own.
SW-648-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have loved mine since I gave my dad $175.00 to buy one for me in 1967. I was 17 and I got a box each 0f 38's and 357's for the price to boot.
Years later I sent it back to Colt for a timing issue, found out they were a race horse not a work mule, not built for a steady diet of HOT loads. That's okay cause since then I acquired other mules to work with the hot loads. I agree that there is something about the blued, 6" barreled PYTHON that captures me, than and now.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 2:21 pm
It’s a disgrace that at the cost of a Python why should there be any aftermarket work done on it? “They” can keep the new ones as there’s plenty of old ones out there so if you can afford a new one, you can afford a “pre new model Python”. 😅
I agree that a Python shouldnt need any gunsmithing, but regardless, some would get the trigger action slicked up even on the older ones. Same with Smiths.

The new Pythons can be had for $1250-$1300, only a small amount more than the new and not improved model 27s. I also prefer the 27s, but Id take an older 27 over any made in the past 25 or 30 or so years. I have little reservation on the new Python as a shooter. Id likely do some dry fire before doing any action slicking up, but they are shootable out of the box, just not as good as they could be. For the considerably lower price compared to the older ones, i could live with that.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Six, great photo of your Pythons! I've never seen anything like the camo Python. I've always been more of a Smith fan than Colt. I do have a couple of New Frontiers, a 1911 and an early AR SP-1 though.

McNutJob, my shooting partner has an 8 shot Smith 648 which I've frequently shot and it's a fine gun. I've been tempted to find one but I've always been wary of non-reloadable ammo and the guns that shoot it.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I don’t like the rubber grips…they feel nice but I like wood in the same design….

The top gun is an Realtree Annaconda 44 mag. Has a 2-7 Redfield scope that’s also Realtree…..I sold it two months ago for 3 big ones…I’ll keep the Python.

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

At least they didn't use the terrible Trooper Mk V action.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

blackhawk44 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:04 pm At least they didn't use the terrible Trooper Mk V action.
That is exactly what they did.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"