Old tools

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Old tools

Post by 765x53 »

P7080160.JPG
Corner Brace, Nail Puller, Brest Drill, Jointer Plane, Plow Plane, Hewing Hatchet. All belonged to my wife's Grandfather.
No, they are not a collection. I use them all from time to time along with tools from my father and father-in-law. I even use a
lacing fid that belonged to my Grandfather who died in 1898.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 765x53 on Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old tools

Post by Grizz »

765x53 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:24 pm P7080160.JPG Corner Brace, Nail Puller, Brest Drill, Jointer Plane, Plow Plane, Hewing Hatchet. All belonged to my wife's Grandfather.
Cool stuff. the plough plane is a predecessor to the router. mine has bits for shaping molding trim, t&g paneling, and the bits that make wood frame windows. it's a cabinet-makers and finish-carpenters tool. does it have any manufacturer i.d. ?

this link shows similar planes with the accessories and blades that made it a combination plane > http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/St ... eStudy.htm
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Definitely Cool stuff, but I swear I see a cordless drill in there.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Grizz wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:18 am
765x53 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:24 pm P7080160.JPG Corner Brace, Nail Puller, Brest Drill, Jointer Plane, Plow Plane, Hewing Hatchet. All belonged to my wife's Grandfather.
Cool stuff. the plough plane is a predecessor to the router. mine has bits for shaping molding trim, t&g paneling, and the bits that make wood frame windows. it's a cabinet-makers and finish-carpenters tool. does it have any manufacturer i.d. ?

this link shows similar planes with the accessories and blades that made it a combination plane > http://www.oldtooluser.com/TypeStudy/St ... eStudy.htm
It's a Stanley No. 46. skew-cutting combination rabbet, dado and plow pane. I also have a "no name" plow plane with a full set of tongue & groove cutters.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I stopped to see a friend of mine that works in the local fly shop , Pre Covid, and this guy stopped in to bs. My buddy says hey, he is a wood worker- meaning me so the guys goes out to his car and brings in a box full of wooden planes. Here he says. So I took the box , about 20-25 lbs of antique tools!
A coffin plane, rabbetting plane, every radius beading plane, jack plane among others and enough ship auger bits that fit a brace to never need to buy large diameter wood bits ever again ! Of course I don't own a brace...
I cleaned them all up, sharpened the dull irons and made sure they all worked.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice tools thanks for sharing, i think i could round up a few around here. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:15 am Nice tools thanks for sharing, i think i could round up a few around here. :)
And if you couldn't -- you would MAKE ONE from scratch!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My father and I used to collect tools . I suppose there are a couple hundred wooden planes in the wooden cabinet we kept them . Have three wooden brace’s as well not to mention the broad axe’s , slick’s , adze’s , froe’s , draw knives and God only knows what else .I even have two or three sets of roofing tools from the mid to late 1800’s . I need to get this stuff out and take it to a friends shop then let him sell it all for me . It makes me sad to look at the stuff we spent a lifetime collecting and then if I wanna leave the USA I need to liquidate as I don’t plan on paying rent on a storage place to keep the stuff .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I love old tools. Old guns…….old cars……….old dogs….

Hmmm? I’m seeing a pattern here.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Those are beautiful old tools and I'm glad someone still uses them.

I have several myself and find that there is NO better way to do the things they do. Oh, you can do it FASTER - sometimes.

Today, I just finished a small book case for my granddaughter's books and toys, using what I could find around the shop. Most of the wood was reject-pieces from other projects, some of which had some serious planer (from the mill) planer ripple, but an old No. 4 and No. 3 Stanley smooth planes knocked it down way faster than a belt-sander and left a finish so smooth that I had to sand it to get it to take a finish. Quiet, no dust, get a little exercise and the best possible surface you could ask for. There was a No. 60 block plane and a No. 51 spoke shave involved as well. The spokeshave took a 4TPI bandsaw cut on a gentle arc to glass-smooth in 35 seconds. Not gonna happen with many thousands of dollars' worth of power tools.

None of my stuff is "collectible," but its value to me is immeasurable. They've been working for me for a long time and I don't plan on giving any up or trading any for something with a cord or battery either. I just wish I'd have picked up a few more back when everyone sold them with the expectation someone would hang them on the wall, like at Cracker Barrel. Since the Internet became available to everyone, everything is now "rare," and therefor expensive.

It's so cool to see that others still use this stuff.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

several years ago we were in stjoseph mo,at my wifes home.the boys run the store and shop.I saw some old tool on the the walls. We got back toArkansas with severalspoke shaves just right for makingbows
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15