Rossi 38 Special/357 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 38 Special/357 Magnum

Post by bcraig »

Here are a couple of pics of the Rossi 92 44 Magnum Little Brother.

Rossi 92 38/Special/357 Magnum

Image Image

Rusty ,our little Female tortoiseshell Kitty seems to approve !
And Snowball ,our not so little Male Kitty seems to have the art of relaxation down to a tee !
He loves to lay on his back and snooze,much like me

I figured if I couldn't find Ammunition for one I could find it for the other.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rossi 38 Special/357 Magnum

Post by Ray »

When you first described the .44 before posting the first fotos I had doubts but those two are okay by my mister mcgoo vision and not at all gaudy.....I hope they serve you well !
m.A.g.a. !
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Ray wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:37 am When you first described the .44 before posting the first fotos I had doubts but those two are okay by my mister mcgoo vision and not at all gaudy.....I hope they serve you well !
Thanks

I not only like the way that they look
But more importantly I am reminded that 1776 is remembered as a day that Celebrates The Declaration Of Independence from a Tyrannical Government.
And why the Second Amendment is so Important.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks OK to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got two Rossis, a 24" rifle and a 20" carbine in .357 and they are hands down my favorites. With a tang rear sight and target aperture and a globe front sight on my 24" rifle, popping bowling pins at 200 yds is a snap with both 125grn and 158grn handloads.

Both bought new in 2009 and slicked up with Steve's DvD. Both have thousands of rounds through them and they're still solid as a rock with actions smooth as silk.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I bought the dvd from steves gun shop in texas, and am not sure I want to tackle this right now. I know I need to dive into it and take it apart and do the work. It is brand new, and took it out to just see how it would fire.
all I did was take the safety off and replace with a pin. As far as doing the rear sight, replacement with a peep sight, does yours attach to the bolt, or replace the factory sight? All I know is that 16 inch barrel, is a hoot to carry.
about the best I know. Makes me think I want both a 45 colt with 16 inch barrel, and either a 41 mag or 44 mag with the 16 inch barrels. And I will replace that stupid safety with a pin. We grew up shooting Marlins and Winchester lever guns, with no safety, and had no problem. Now if I could just talk Henry into putting the safety notch in their hammers, and taking some of the weight off would be perfect.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I bought the dvd from steves gun shop in texas, and am not sure I want to tackle this right now. I know I need to dive into it and take it apart and do the work. It is brand new, and took it out to just see how it would fire.
all I did was take the safety off and replace with a pin. As far as doing the rear sight, replacement with a peep sight, does yours attach to the bolt, or replace the factory sight? All I know is that 16 inch barrel, is a hoot to carry.
about the best I know. Makes me think I want both a 45 colt with 16 inch barrel, and either a 41 mag or 44 mag with the 16 inch barrels. And I will replace that stupid safety with a pin. We grew up shooting Marlins and Winchester lever guns, with no safety, and had no problem. Now if I could just talk Henry into putting the safety notch in their hammers, and taking some of the weight off would be perfect.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

why did this print twice, please someone help me
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Steve has a plug to fill in the hole left by removing the safety as well as the peep sight. I have the bolt peep sight on my 20" carbine (started out with the plug) and the plug on my 24" rifle as my rifle has a tang mounted rear sight. I replaced the rear sight on my rifle to one that folds down so if I elect to not use the tang sight I have the standard rear available.

Both the tang and bolt mounted rear sights increase the sight radius (distance between the front and rear sights) to increase aiming precision and the small, target apertures I use also helps increase one's Depth of Field so the front sight and target are clear. The bolt peep sight increases the 20" carbine's radius from 16" to 20" and the 24" rifle's from 22" to 30".

Slicking up the action and lowering the ejection spring weight will give you an excellent action. I strongly suggest that you buy Steve's DvD as it gives complete, detailed instructions with video showing you both what to do and how to do it. His kit consists of the DvD, a metal follower to replace the plastic one, and the ejector spring. The safety plug or bolt mounted peep sight are separate.
Steve
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

COSteve wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:31 pm Steve has a plug to fill in the hole left by removing the safety as well as the peep sight. I have the bolt peep sight on my 20" carbine (started out with the plug) and the plug on my 24" rifle as my rifle has a tang mounted rear sight. I replaced the rear sight on my rifle to one that folds down so if I elect to not use the tang sight I have the standard rear available.

Both the tang and bolt mounted rear sights increase the sight radius (distance between the front and rear sights) to increase aiming precision and the small, target apertures I use also helps increase one's Depth of Field so the front sight and target are clear. The bolt peep sight increases the 20" carbine's radius from 16" to 20" and the 24" rifle's from 22" to 30".

Slicking up the action and lowering the ejection spring weight will give you an excellent action. I strongly suggest that you buy Steve's DvD as it gives complete, detailed instructions with video showing you both what to do and how to do it. His kit consists of the DvD, a metal follower to replace the plastic one, and the ejector spring. The safety plug or bolt mounted peep sight are separate.
Thanks
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

oldebear1950 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:07 pm why did this print twice, please someone help me
…must be cuz it was IMPORTANT…!

I get that sometimes. If I spot it before the next post appears, I can delete it but once there’s something posted afterwards, all I can do is just go back and edit it to something else.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I did buy the video, and maybe I am a klutz, but I guess I also need the instructions on how to disassemble the rifle/carbine. I will also check out one of the books on disassembly I have as I thing it has the 92. As far as the work goes will have to view the dvd again to see if I know what he is talking about.
I think I also need to buy the lifter to get rid of the plastic one.
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I have an older gun digest of center fire rifles, by J. B. WOOD, and it covers the Winchester model 1892. As far as I know, other than the funky sight, and the plastic follower of course, the disassembly/assembly would be the same.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

The video I got from Steve in 2009 shows how to dissemble and reassemble your Rossi including all the tricks needed to do the job simply. Did you look at the DvD from beginning to end first? I find watching the whole thing made it easier to understand where he was leading you as you watched it a second time.
Steve
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

I did watch it again, and it does have instructions to disassemble and reassemble the gun for cleaning and repair. but I am old school, and sometimes the books do help.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

At almost 76, I could be called 'old school' as well, however, I find Steve's DvD the best at explaining the process. That said, I also have some word documents with pictures showing and telling you how to dissemble and reassemble the Rossi that I found many years ago on the web. Send me an email and I'll give you a copy of all I have.
Steve
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Thanks JimT, that's the article I downloaded. I combined both links into a single word document to keep on my computer. If you 'control click' a picture it enlarges in a separate window for much easier viewing.
Steve
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

That's a great idea. Much handier than having to go online and look it up when you are working on it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Thanks again for your help.
Steve
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

hey costeve, where did you get the tang sight? that sounds like something I might like. I also thought of putting a peep sight in place of the factory sight. But the tang sounds more doable. I would like one that also folds down.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

oldebear1950 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:31 pm hey costeve, where did you get the tang sight? that sounds like something I might like. I also thought of putting a peep sight in place of the factory sight. But the tang sounds more doable. I would like one that also folds down.
Most are using the Marble's I believe.

They are pricey but high quality. The Lymans are nice but don't have windage adjustment that I know of.

Taurus had a 'generic' version that I bought several of for a really good price, and I've been satisfied with them.

One 'issue' is that the Rossi rifles I believe are all metric for that tang screw, so if an extra-long one comes with the sight, it may not fit. I found a stainless screw for my stainless ones at Ace Hardware, but for the blued guns, I just bought a black hexhead bolt in metric from Ace Hardware for mounting mine, and it is fine. I could have gotten a pan or flat head one but the hex head was easy to tighten without marring and I don't care if it is 'authentic' on a gun that is a 'shooter' instead of a collectible.

Pics of the sight setup -

ImageImage

http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... 03#p494518
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

is it possible to still obtain the taurus sight?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Doc is spot on.

I have 1st - Marbles tang rear sight with a .042" target aperture (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005873468),

2nd - Marbles fold down rear sight (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005904476?pid=986064)

3rd - Lyman Globe Front Sight (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005865117?pid=504955)

4th - Lee Shaver Globe Inserts (https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rif ... -lyman-17a/) because they're much better than lyman's.

Don't forget to get Rossi specific screws for the tang sight.
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like the Lyman rear tang sight better'n the Marbles, but only because it seems more robust. Windage adjustable with a shim of copper under one side or the other to set it up. I don't have them on my Rossi '92s, carbine bbl lengths, etc. But do have them on a couple of Winchester 94 rifles. Both had to be drilled & tapped for the front screw. No biggie, set up in a drill vise and drilled with the drill press. Then hand tapped, paying attention to get the tap to go it straight.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:32 am Leverguns Online Field-Strip ....

https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/field_strip.htm

Rossi article

https://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/rossi.htm
[/quo
I tried lookin mine over and
took the Ejector out and had no problem doing so and took the spring out and had no problems .

I tried putting it all back together EXCEPT the paper clip I used was evedintly not big enough as the clip pulled inside the spring.
I have been fiddling around with this gun since 4 pm yesterday !
And finally got a sewing needle within 4 coils of the end
watching every youtube vid I can find .

My issue is that My lower tang will not move freely and I have to tap on the end of the lower tang to try and get it forward enough to
Capture the hole of the Lower tang but when I try to do so it wont go far foward enough to do so ,and locks up with the trigger hitting
inside the trigger guard right below the rear of the locking lugs and then I will move the lever down to unlock the action and when I do this the lugs drop down and it puches the lower tang rearward and shows the trigger pin about a 1/4 inch behind the rear of the reciever.

Now I know this has got to be something simple that I am overlookin but dang if I know what it is !

I tried looking at your Rossi
article but when It gets to reasembly it only shows 4 or 5 lines.

EVERYONES youtube video shows it as a walk in the park.

And it was till I got to the final part of Assembly.

Could shure use some help here.

Thanks
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It could be that you need to hold the trigger back (in the "fired" position) when you slide the tang in. Without having it in my hands it is hard to tell for sure.

Putting the rifle back together, make sure you do it in the reverse of taking it apart. Install the lower tang before you install the lever. Don't put the locking bolts in before the lever is installed. Etc. You probably are doing that but I wanted to make sure.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:00 am It could be that you need to hold the trigger back (in the "fired" position) when you slide the tang in. Without having it in my hands it is hard to tell for sure.

Putting the rifle back together, make sure you do it in the reverse of taking it apart. Install the lower tang before you install the lever. Don't put the locking bolts in before the lever is installed. Etc. You probably are doing that but I wanted to make sure.
This is as close I can come to getting the rifle in your Hands Jim,
I have been following this guys instructions and 2 more Guys essentially the same thing.
Here is one more guy who shows his method of reassembling the rossi 92
https://youtu.be/XC-fyYEEuRs
https://youtu.be/-Iu9isvYSAc

If you dont mind I would appreciate it if you would watch this and tell me what if anything He is doing wrong.
The order of things etc.

Thanks
Craig
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

He got it back together. :) Yours should go like that also.

The only thing differently that I do is I usually put the lever and locking lugs in after I have the tang installed.
You might try that.

Sometimes it helps to have another set of hands to help hold things. Anyone you can get to help?
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:33 pm He got it back together. :) Yours should go like that also.

The only thing differently that I do is I usually put the lever and locking lugs in after I have the tang installed.
You might try that.

Sometimes it helps to have another set of hands to help hold things. Anyone you can get to help?
Thank you Jim,I really appreciate you looking at the videos for me

I think that my main issue was the fact that the paper clip that I use pulled up inside the hammer spring and the hammer strut was at an odd angle,I will use a Big a sewing needle or as small a nail as I can find to keep the spring captured so I do not have
This type of issue again.
I ended up having to grap ahold of the hammer strut where it first meets the spring to pull it far enough that the spring capture on the lower tang
would allow the end ot the strut to go through the hole.

While I was in there I cut one coil off the ejector spring and took an inch and a half off the Magazine spring both in an attempt to lessen the difficulty loading it.
I was not quite sure what you meant in your article abpout de-tensioning the loading Gate spring,whether you meant removing the Loading gate and bending it or just Depressing the Loading gate repeatedly to give it a set?

Also the gun will feed some 357 Magnum semi wadcutters I loaded back in my teens just a tad stiffly.

The Remington 158 grain Hollowpoints after being run through the action several times are bunged up on one side .
Maybe need a tad of polishing where the bullet goes into the Chamber?

Again thanks for your help

Craig

Oh ,as far as help around here goes my Wife is over 1,000 miles from here visiting with her Momma and will be for another week or so ,so it is just me and our 4 Kitties,they give me a lot of moral support although I am sure that they have never heard some of the words that I used while working on this Carbine !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

With the 158 gr. JHP I would not polish the chamber to correct that. Feeding is controlled by the cartridge guides and most likely some adjustment needs to be made there. But THAT is a very touchy point to mess with if you don't have the tools and the experience or someone who can walk you through it. I have fiddled with them but don't know a lot about fixing those kinds of issues.
1.JPG
2.JPG
In the Model 1892 Winchester the cartridges come from the magazine to the barrel at a fairly steep angle. To make feeding smooth, the rear of the cartridge must be lifted in line with the chamber. This is done by means of a Left and Right Cartridge Guide. As the cartridge is pushed up the lifter to the chamber, the rim of the cartridge enters the Guides. As the cartridge is pushed forward the Guides lift the rear of the cartridge, aligning it with the chamber.

If there is excessive clearance, the lifting of the rear of the cartridge takes place later in the chambering stroke. The tighter the clearance the earlier the lifting takes place during the chambering stroke. Balky chambering .. where the lever must be jiggled back and forth a little to get the cartridge to chamber .. is often caused by excessive clearance at the rim end of the cartridge WHEN IT IS LAYING IN THE LIFTER.

Adjusting these properly requires some gunsmithing skill.

Lightening the tension of the loading gate spring ... I did it with the loading gate out of the gun. I bent the spring a little straighter so it did not have as much tension when installed. It was a "bend slightly and try" that took a few "tries" until I had it where I liked it. It is easy to go too far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:00 am [
I was not quite sure what you meant in your article abpout de-tensioning the loading Gate spring,whether you meant removing the Loading gate and bending it or just Depressing the Loading gate repeatedly to give it a set?

Also the gun will feed some 357 Magnum semi wadcutters I loaded back in my teens just a tad stiffly.
Remove the gate and thin the spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvO-jAVdy6s
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

way back on a different forum there was a video posted by a Swedish hunter that showed him unloading the magazine by backing the cartridges out the way they went in. this involves making the loading gate amenable to pushing past the cartridge with finger pressure, which allows the cartridge to back out. his gun was so well tuned that he could empty the magazine in seconds. no cycling thru the action. which makes me wonder if the shorter mag spring will push the rounds out . . . it's another tuning thing. my 94AE 357 has a stiff gate that needs to be tuned to back out ammo

I unload my stainless guide gun this way . . .
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

as for the loading gate, HOW DO YOU GET THE LOADING GATE TO GO PAST THE RIM OF THE CARTRIDGE IN THE MAG TUBE? can the spring or gate be bent so that it does that?
oldebear1950
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldebear1950 »

as for the loading gate, HOW DO YOU GET THE LOADING GATE TO GO PAST THE RIM OF THE CARTRIDGE IN THE MAG TUBE? can the spring or gate be bent so that it does that?
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Tycer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:08 am
bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:00 am [

Remove the gate and thin the spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvO-jAVdy6s
Thanks for the link
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:43 am way back on a different forum there was a video posted by a Swedish hunter that showed him unloading the magazine by backing the cartridges out the way they went in. this involves making the loading gate amenable to pushing past the cartridge with finger pressure, which allows the cartridge to back out. his gun was so well tuned that he could empty the magazine in seconds. no cycling thru the action. which makes me wonder if the shorter mag spring will push the rounds out . . . it's another tuning thing. my 94AE 357 has a stiff gate that needs to be tuned to back out ammo

I unload my stainless guide gun this way . . .
Very interesting
Thanks
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:22 am With the 158 gr. JHP I would not polish the chamber to correct that. Feeding is controlled by the cartridge guides and most likely some adjustment needs to be made there. But THAT is a very touchy point to mess with if you don't have the tools and the experience or someone who can walk you through it. I have fiddled with them but don't know a lot about fixing those kinds of issues.

1.JPG

2.JPG

In the Model 1892 Winchester the cartridges come from the magazine to the barrel at a fairly steep angle. To make feeding smooth, the rear of the cartridge must be lifted in line with the chamber. This is done by means of a Left and Right Cartridge Guide. As the cartridge is pushed up the lifter to the chamber, the rim of the cartridge enters the Guides. As the cartridge is pushed forward the Guides lift the rear of the cartridge, aligning it with the chamber.

If there is excessive clearance, the lifting of the rear of the cartridge takes place later in the chambering stroke. The tighter the clearance the earlier the lifting takes place during the chambering stroke. Balky chambering .. where the lever must be jiggled back and forth a little to get the cartridge to chamber .. is often caused by excessive clearance at the rim end of the cartridge WHEN IT IS LAYING IN THE LIFTER.

Adjusting these properly requires some gunsmithing skill.

Lightening the tension of the loading gate spring ... I did it with the loading gate out of the gun. I bent the spring a little straighter so it did not have as much tension when installed. It was a "bend slightly and try" that took a few "tries" until I had it where I liked it. It is easy to go too far.
Thanks for the information and the images,
I am going to do some searching online and see if I can find an animation on How the Rossi 92 Works,is the Rossi 92 similair enough to The Winchester 92 that information for one is information for the other ?

Thanks
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 pm [

Thanks
Wait. You need to buy Steve’s CD and ejector spring. Www.stevesgunz.com
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 pm I am going to do some searching online and see if I can find an animation on How the Rossi 92 Works,is the Rossi 92 similair enough to The Winchester 92 that information for one is information for the other ?
Thanks
Yes sir. It's a good copy. Some Winchester 92 parts fit the Rossi's.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:27 pm
bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 pm I am going to do some searching online and see if I can find an animation on How the Rossi 92 Works,is the Rossi 92 similair enough to The Winchester 92 that information for one is information for the other ?
Thanks
Thank you much
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Tycer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:24 pm
bcraig wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:39 pm [

Thanks
Wait. You need to buy Steve’s CD and ejector spring. Www.stevesgunz.com
Thanks
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:27 pm
Thanks
I found this on youtube,I will keep looking for more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of2uCOQWYLk