Any 5.7x28 fans here?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Any 5.7x28 fans here?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

After the terrorist on Fort Hood several years ago, which seemed unbelievably lethal for what some folks think is little more than a .22 Magnum, I started studying this cartridge and the guns chambered for it.

I’ve tried three of the FN pistols of various generations and was never able to shoot them well enough to make them useful.

I currently have a S&W which seems to be truly innovative and accurate but it doesn’t shoot to the sights and S&W has not been responsive to my inquiries.

And I have the Rock. It’s a relatively inexpensive handgun and I think I paid $500 for the gun with a threaded barrel and set up for a red dot sight AND seven magazines.

The Rock has Glock compatible sights. It shoots to the sights. It is reliable. And it feels really good in my hand. It typically shoots like this at 25 yards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any 5.7x28 fans here?

The cartridge is still a bit of a mystery to me. It performs a lot better than it should if you look at the paper ballistics.

Experiments continue. But right now I favor the 40 grain Fiocci ammo with the black polymer tip.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When it first hit the market I thought it would make a neat little varmint rifle cartridge then my practical side said you already have a 17 Remington, 22 hornet, 218 bee, 22-250 so I just gave up on it ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been enjoying the little round too. I shot a friends PS90 and was quite taken with it. When Ruger brought out the LCC, I ordered one and
have about 300 rounds trough it so far.

I stuck the little Sig Romeo on it and this was the first offhand mag ful, just after sighting it in. I'd still like to put it on a real rest and see what it can do.

Palmetto and gunmagwarehouse have consistently had good prices on ammo. Palmetto has a 150 round box of fiocchi 40 gr. FMJs on sale now for $75. Going to try a box.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the heads up!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Are any of you shooting the 5.7 also reloading for it? Ease of reloading is one of my conditions for adding a new centerfire to the battery, and most of the 5.7 platforms seem to be some variation of delayed blowback action. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that the brass life likely wouldn't be very good.

Disappointed to hear about the sighting issue with the S&W, as that's the one I've been the most interested in.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Scott for posting this. I've been intrigued by the round as well, and every time PSA runs an add with this on it, I get very tempted (and several of their stores are within 2 hours driving distance for me :) ). But I need another caliber to feed like a need another hole in the head. But I will follow your exploits with this round with enthusiasm. :D :D :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'd never planned on reloading this one. My hands don't work well enough anymore to fumble around with the tiny cartridge, The empty cases that I have found, about twenty out of a few hundred, don't look deformed though. The little Ruger launches them into the tall grass on purpose, I think.
It will probably remain the only centerfire cartridge I own that I don't reload. I look at this one as an expensive .22 Magnum and don't worry about it.

Everyone's different though. This is one of those cartridges that interested me, especially after shooting a PS90.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:13 am I'd never planned on reloading this one. My hands don't work well enough anymore to fumble around with the tiny cartridge, The empty cases that I have found, about twenty out of a few hundred, don't look deformed though. The little Ruger launches them into the tall grass on purpose, I think.
It will probably remain the only centerfire cartridge I own that I don't reload. I look at this one as an expensive .22 Magnum and don't worry about it.

Everyone's different though. This is one of those cartridges that interested me, especially after shooting a PS90.

jb 8)
The PS90 always intrigued me. Then when pistols came out in the caliber, I got the itch even more. Still trying to resist...

Jason, how'd you like shooting the PS90? I've heard different reports. I've never had the chance myself.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:25 pm
2ndovc wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:13 am I'd never planned on reloading this one. My hands don't work well enough anymore to fumble around with the tiny cartridge, The empty cases that I have found, about twenty out of a few hundred, don't look deformed though. The little Ruger launches them into the tall grass on purpose, I think.

jb 8)
The PS90 always intrigued me. Then when pistols came out in the caliber, I got the itch even more. Still trying to resist...

Jason, how'd you like shooting the PS90? I've heard different reports. I've never had the chance myself.
That PS90 was just plain fun! Zipped right through that fifty round magazine. The trigger on the Ruger is much better than the FN and while they are both way too short for my knuckle dragin' arms, it was still very pleasant to shoot. Recoil is about nil, so keeping that dot on target is quite easy. The only reason I don't have one is that $18-1900 price tag. That price range opens up a lot of different choices.

jb 8)

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I used some German 5.7s in Afghanistan and liked the cartridge for Personal Defense work. My wife wanted a truck gun so I built her an AR carbine that took 50 Rd FN Mags. She shot it and liked it so bought a Ruger 57 pistol to put in the case with it. They are very accurate, function great, and have light recoil. The ammo used to be much cheaper but is starting to lower a bit. Overall I would rate it as a good light-duty round.
It is not the critic who counts
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:20 pm I used some German 5.7s in Afghanistan and liked the cartridge for Personal Defense work. My wife wanted a truck gun so I built her an AR carbine that took 50 Rd FN Mags. She shot it and liked it so bought a Ruger 57 pistol to put in the case with it. They are very accurate, function great, and have light recoil. The ammo used to be much cheaper but is starting to lower a bit. Overall I would rate it as a good light-duty round.
This is what I was considering doing. I'd love to get the PS90, just for the cool factor, but don't want to spend that kind of coin on it. I like the AR platform so this is much more reasonable.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:42 pm
Paladin wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:20 pm I used some German 5.7s in Afghanistan and liked the cartridge for Personal Defense work. My wife wanted a truck gun so I built her an AR carbine that took 50 Rd FN Mags. She shot it and liked it so bought a Ruger 57 pistol to put in the case with it. They are very accurate, function great, and have light recoil. The ammo used to be much cheaper but is starting to lower a bit. Overall I would rate it as a good light-duty round.
This is what I was considering doing. I'd love to get the PS90, just for the cool factor, but don't want to spend that kind of coin on it. I like the AR platform so this is much more reasonable.

Considering it will eject empty brass into a stripped mag, take FN Mags, and has no recoil she loves it. This is her AR, Ruger 57 pistol, and a Simply Rugged holster laying on the sidewalk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was wondering if that would be a bottom eject action. Pretty cool. I stopped at a local shop this afternoon and fondled a PS90 again. Just couldn't do it. Besides, I'm kinda obsessed with the .308 ARs lately and I'd still like to have one of the H&K MR762s.

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A friend got an FN 5.7x28 pistol for Xmas one year . I went out with him and shot it a bit . Later he traded it to me for a Para P-14 . I immediately put the FN on Gunbroker with several boxes of ammo which at that time was hard to get your hands on . Anyway I sold the package for about $500 more than I wanted for the P-14 . I always thought the 5.7x28 would be kinda neat in a bolt action HB just for punchin paper .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:42 pm A friend got an FN 5.7x28 pistol for Xmas one year . I went out with him and shot it a bit . Later he traded it to me for a Para P-14 . I immediately put the FN on Gunbroker with several boxes of ammo which at that time was hard to get your hands on . Anyway I sold the package for about $500 more than I wanted for the P-14 . I always thought the 5.7x28 would be kinda neat in a bolt action HB just for punchin paper .
So I'm not the only one that thinks this way! But as I said earlier, I've already got the small case 22s covered. And the Hornet & Bee beat the 5.7 ballistically.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

are there any 32-20 fans here I have an1892winchester
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

For me this is a pistol cartridge as I can get a 5.56 in a light rifle and have a good deal more power.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JerryB wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:18 pm are there any 32-20 fans here I have an1892winchester
I have three of them. How about, you start another thread and tell us all about it?

jb 8)