Rossi r92 44 magnum factory loads ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi r92 44 magnum factory loads ??

Post by bcraig »

I got a new stainless 16 inch that should be headed my way sometime next week and curious what factory ammo would be good for home defense that would not kick me out from under my hat .
And function well.

Also is a such a thing as low priced factory plinking ammo ?

Thanks
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Rossi r92 44 magnum factory loads ??

Post by mickbr »

Most factory 44 ammo is going to be running pretty fast out of a carbine, that isnt to say it wont do the job. Recoil isnt too bad in a 44 carbine anyway.

For lowest recoil/blast options I'd consider 44 special SD ammo as long as they cycle in your gun .

Hornady critical defence 165FTX in 44 special. 900fps from revolver and my guess is maybe 1100-1200fps from a carbine(never chronied it though). Going off youtube this bullet expands well under the speed of sound and another 200fps from the carbine barrel will be icing on the cake.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/hand ... defense#!/

200 grain speer gold dot which runs about 875fps from a revolver, so figure 1050-1150fps from the carbine. This is about the best expanding bullet in 44 at low velocities, it gets 70cal or so as low as 800fps, holds together to about 1200fps and comes apart at impacts around 1300fps .
https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_d ... 980GD.html

My rossi 92 digests both of these but you would need to test them in your own gun. Recoil is negligible, you could run these almost as fast as the cowboy action guys with practice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty much what mickbr said.... 8)

Just make sure whatever load you pick cycles reliably; they will all stop a two-legged predator pretty easily. There are factory loaded 180 grain JHPs in 44 Mag that are easy to find and so if you have issues with the 44 Special loads not cycling well due to cartridge overall length you could try the 180 grain Magnum loads.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

bcraig wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:19 am I got a new stainless 16 inch that should be headed my way sometime next week and curious what factory ammo would be good for home defense that would not kick me out from under my hat .
And function well.

Thanks
low price? have to reload for that.... i suggest you try 44spcl for home defense, good if it cycles. The hollow points are designed to expand as a brake to preclude over-penetration. the extra damage of the expanded bullet is a free bonus . . . it is worth while to test your defense load to assure yourself it won't penetrate your walls and the neighbor kids before it stops.

we hunted with a 44 marlin using white box 240 Gr JSP. that is a hammer on deer size game and we made lots of meat that way. mostly my son did. we don't use hollow point ammo on food...

hope you have a great time with your new gun, Model 92 is a fabulous tool...
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

mickbr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:25 am Most factory 44 ammo is going to be running pretty fast out of a carbine, that isnt to say it wont do the job. Recoil isnt too bad in a 44 carbine anyway.

For lowest recoil/blast options I'd consider 44 special SD ammo as long as they cycle in your gun .

Hornady critical defence 165FTX in 44 special. 900fps from revolver and my guess is maybe 1100-1200fps from a carbine(never chronied it though). Going off youtube this bullet expands well under the speed of sound and another 200fps from the carbine barrel will be icing on the cake.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/hand ... defense#!/

200 grain speer gold dot which runs about 875fps from a revolver, so figure 1050-1150fps from the carbine. This is about the best expanding bullet in 44 at low velocities, it gets 70cal or so as low as 800fps, holds together to about 1200fps and comes apart at impacts around 1300fps .
https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_d ... 980GD.html

My rossi 92 digests both of these but you would need to test them in your own gun. Recoil is negligible, you could run these almost as fast as the cowboy action guys with practice.
I will for sure take a look at those Loads.

I hope the carbine will run well with the 44 Special ammo,if not I will do any mods that I can to help it along.
I have another Stainless Rossi 92 back ordered in 357 Magnum/38 special same goes for it to be able to use the 38 special.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:27 am .
Pretty much what mickbr said.... 8)

Just make sure whatever load you pick cycles reliably; they will all stop a two-legged predator pretty easily. There are factory loaded 180 grain JHPs in 44 Mag that are easy to find and so if you have issues with the 44 Special loads not cycling well due to cartridge overall length you could try the 180 grain Magnum loads.
I will take a look at those as well
Thanks
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:39 am
bcraig wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:19 am I got a new stainless 16 inch that should be headed my way sometime next week and curious what factory ammo would be good for home defense that would not kick me out from under my hat .
And function well.

Thanks
low price? have to reload for that.... i suggest you try 44spcl for home defense, good if it cycles. The hollow points are designed to expand as a brake to preclude over-penetration. the extra damage of the expanded bullet is a free bonus . . . it is worth while to test your defense load to assure yourself it won't penetrate your walls and the neighbor kids before it stops.

we hunted with a 44 marlin using white box 240 Gr JSP. that is a hammer on deer size game and we made lots of meat that way. mostly my son did. we don't use hollow point ammo on food...

hope you have a great time with your new gun, Model 92 is a fabulous tool...
The Hollow Point 44 Spcl sounds like just the ticket for my purposes.
We live out in the country and closest neighbor is a couple of hundred yards and there are woods between us.
Also the way the house is set up I would not have to shoot that direction,next neighbor is about 500 yards as the crow flies and there are woods that are between us as well.

Thanks for the well wishes on the 92
I am sure I will like it !
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Hard to predict what direction you would have to shoot what with those darn uncooperative two legged critters :mrgreen: They just seem to not go by the rules!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Bronco wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:34 am Hard to predict what direction you would have to shoot what with those darn uncooperative two legged critters :mrgreen: They just seem to not go by the rules!
Actually pretty easy in my case as the bed sits up against the wall and no one is getting between the bed and the wall.
So if we have problems there aint but one way they are getting into the bedroom ,through the doorway .
With me and a gun pointed at the doorway is what they would be lookin at.
A bullet that exited would not be going in a direction where it would hit an innocent.

There is a window in the room but it has been stuck to where it wont open for years,plus I have a piece of wood wedged at the top of the window and on the top of the window frame.
If someone gets a stepladder and breaks the window they will once again be looking at me pointing a gun at the window.
A bullet that exited would not be going in a direction that would hit an innocent.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I guess that will work if you only have to defend from the bedroom :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Bronco wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:46 pm I guess that will work if you only have to defend from the bedroom :mrgreen:
Yep,figure my odds would be much better than trying to clear the house room by room.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

If you are wounded first, you may be clearing that next room to make it to freedom or bleed out. Perps dont always occur singly. Id be prepared to handle more scenarios personally. The strong room or panic room scenario has pros and cons
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

mickbr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:01 pm If you are wounded first, you may be clearing that next room to make it to freedom or bleed out. Perps dont always occur singly. Id be prepared to handle more scenarios personally. The strong room or panic room scenario has pros and cons
No doubt that there will always varying scenarios that one can envision or speculate upon.
The what if situation that we all, to some degree, think about .
And scenarios can be ever changing and ones adapability ,to be able to change gears instantly ,so to speak ,is most of the time a good quality to achieve surviveability.

I believe that Mike Tyson said that everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

The point is that I explained my situation in a reply to a poster in the the thread that I feel like explains my take on a theoretical situation concerning overpenetration and or the fear that bullets would be heading toward innocent people.
Not from the viewpoint that I would always head to a strong room to handle the situation but from my viewpoint that if I were already in the room(bedroom) sleeping.

And in that scenario were anyone to break in and awaken me ,that there were no dangers to my firing a weapon that would lead to a bullet that either missed or overpenetrated a criminal.

If I were already in the room and were wounded by an invading criminal I doubt that the best course of action would be to go toward the criminal to escape and go to another point in the house to continue the fight.

Its going to get real crowded with the criminal standing in the doorway and me attempting to squeeze by trying to get by them going out the same doorway !

Now if I am in another room when when it starts hitting the fan I will handle the situation in what the best way to handle the situation is that I think at the time.

I think that maybe you misunderstood my reply and thought that I would automatically head to a so called safe room whereas I was thinking about already being in the bedroom asleep.

And if I am already in that room in that scenario ,that more than likely the best course of action would be to remain there as opposed to clearing the house to search for an intruder .

With the caveat that I do have ability to "change Horses in midstream" if need be in order to survive.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

good luck and hope those 44 special cycle good in your 92
Last edited by mickbr on Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Remember the Remington 240gr semi jacket ? I shot a few deer with them out of my muzzle loader, worked exceptionally well but don't shoot them in the shoulder! J-E-L-L-O :o
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

mickbr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:46 am good luck and hope those 44 special cycle good in your 92
Thank you much,I got my fingers crossed it will
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:11 am Remember the Remington 240gr semi jacket ? I shot a few deer with them out of my muzzle loader, worked exceptionally well but don't shoot them in the shoulder! J-E-L-L-O :o
Never shot one with that bullet but killed a couple using the XTP an it did a lot of damage when shot out of a T/C hawken and 100 grains fffg or Pyrodex.
But about all I ever did with the shoulders was grind it up and make some great deer chili with it
Got my mouth watering just thinking about it !