The Shootists—- the beginning

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

The Shootists—- the beginning

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I know that some of you see us writing about the Shootists Holiday but you might be wondering what it is.

This gives you the origin story:

https://shootists.org/letter.htm

I still don’t know what made them think I was worthy of being one of this group. But I’m grateful.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Shootists—- the beginning

Now for the challenge, if you received that letter, what would you bring?

Mine would be my old Second Generation Colt SAA in .45 Colt backed up with my old three screw Ruger Single Six. I’d carry them in Simply Rugged shucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

This is what I brought this year ....
IMG_5370.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I didn’t bring much. But I did bring a couple of lever guns
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seems like an inside industry group. I belong to one within chiropractic. Enjoy, there are takes on things within industry groups that outsiders would not understand. They serve an important purpose.

Now the two guns. 6 1/2” Model 24 S&W 44 Spl. Springfield Armory 45 ACP, 6” K22. That is certainly two by Taffin’s count ;-). We had a very interesting and entertaining interchange of letters back about 89.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

weiler
Levergunner

Post by weiler »

Jeez I’ve dreamed of getting that letter, one of my favorite articles.

Ruger 5 1/2 Bisley 45 Colt in a Barranti Hank Sloan holster and Bowen rear sight. At some point this guns getting an extended ejector rod (shortened 1/4” ), Super Redhawk front sight, B/C and end shake set to minimum and Taylor throat.

loads would be 250 grain RNFP deep seated over 6.7/W231, 278 grain powdercoated cast hollowpoint (MP 45-270) deep seated over 11.5/HS6 for 1030 FPS and 312 grain WFN-GC Lee over 21.5 H-110. I havent take it out for long range shooting get but I guess Id learn quick!

Second would be my 4” 629-3 shooting a powdercoated Keith bullet deep seated over either 5.5/w231 for ~800fps or 10.6/HS6 for ~1000 fps. Havent spent much time on heavy loads with the little gun. Holster would be a Barranti IWB

If allowed extra, my Ruger no-1 45-70 govt and Springfield SA-35 9mm would make the trip.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent! I recognize my old friend Mike V. from that picture... competed against him in cowboy action in the late '80s. If your question isn't rhetorical, I'd bring my 4" S&W 65 in .357. loaded with .38Spl +p, 158 grain. I've intended to chronograph this load for some number of years, but never put off till tomorrow that which can be put off until the day after! The other is my favorite pistol, a Colt SAA, 3rd Gen in 45 Colt. It left the factory with a 7-½" bbl and came into my possession with it's current 4-¾". It was last tuned/rebuilt by Bill Oglesby of Springfield, IL. I've shot it in cowboy action matches since the mid '80s. Never liking heavy bullets, it'll probably be accompanied by my 6 grains of RedDot in Starline cases, WLP primers and a 200 grain RFN... The second load for this sixgun would be the RCBS 45-225-CAV truncated cone lube with SPG sized at .452 propelled by 32grains of Goex Cartridge.

And surely there'd be room in the p/u for my Colt 2nd Series 1851, just for a little historical context... or humor!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for sharing that. It was an interesting read.

Personally, I think I would take my single action, 32-20 Ruger Buckeye conversion Blackhawk, and my double action 7-1/2 inch Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum (I might prefer the 45 Colt/ACP Redhawk, but it has a shorter barrel, and I really like the long barrel if I’m gonna lob something high powered).

The first is a gun I don’t shoot enough, but has great potential covering everything from 22 magnum power levels up to 357 magnum power levels, and the second is probably the handgun that I would choose to enter the gates of hell and confront the devil with, should I need to do that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks a ton for the article. Been wondering for a long time. I wouldn't amount to a pimple on any of these folks rears, but if I were sneak in I would most likely have my NM 4 5/8 BH .45 convertible, and the Ruger 4.25" SP 101 in .327. Both in Simply Rugged pancakes.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well -- if given the opportunity, i'd say id take

Colt Lawman 4" fixed sight in ---------------- .357 Magnum ! -- then if were going to a place where the tough guys go, and turn out even tougher (thats an old song lyric ) --- and the goal is to knock down some things at extended distances for fun (bowling pins, silhouettes etc)

I'd take my Dan Wesson pistol pack --- and if i was told i needed to pick just one barrel, it would be the 8". Its chambered in --------- wait for it ---wait for it ------------- also .357 !

If we can sneak in a 3rd, id o wear the new 3" Python in a simple basketweave Threepersons holster too. the range bag would probably have a 75/25 ratio of .38 to 357's, but i'd love to share a few stories of my fascination with the round and the guns that fire it going back to when my unit in the Army received a few Smith's . I was young and did not pay much attention but the scuttlebutt was that the Beretta was unreliable (its not) and we needed something that will shoot through not only a bad guy or two, but the school bus and building behind them so we can reach the 3rd and 4th bad guy.

It made a statement seeing folks carrying the "Dirty harry" gun in the desert . I was 19 and impressionable - and not a "gun guy" at all although id grown up with my dad's Model 50 20 gauge close by at most times in my formative years. . Been a fan ever since and when i could afford a sidearm for myself , it was the aforementioned LAwman. Reasoning was simple -- I was 25 years old and purchased a distressed condition former LEO LAwman for $180 and the nearest Smith in cost was $300ish. Been a fan of the Colt backwards cylinder release ever since
----- Doug
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Having been fortunate enough to be in on this since the beginning, I have seen that The Shootists have been much more about personal character than about particular firearms. And it's not that we all agree on religion or politics or certain cartridges. The men that I associated with when this was started were men that I could trust with my money, my wife and kids, and my life. If they gave you their word it was better than money in the bank. I knew that if I said I needed help they would be there.

Many have "crossed the Great Divide" since those early years, and they are missed. And remembered! This Thursday we will be remembering and honoring a group of them who crossed over this last year. It's a sad time for us all. Yet we have great memories of them that will be preserved for those who follow behind.

One day it will be my turn. I am thankful to be a part of such a collection of people!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think those guys probably kept the Hercules 2400 line running overtime.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Scott,
I happened to read this post before I left this morning. I your question about what to bring gave me something fun to think about between inspections today. Though it really didn't take long to come up with the answer.
These three may also be the "fanciest" firearms I have, but I also shoot them better than anything else I own with the exception of a couple of bolt actions.

The custom No.1, .38-55 is a more recent purchase, but it's become one of those rifles that if I can see it, I can hit it. The Bowen Ruger made me a forever fan of the .44 Magnum and the National Match will shoot circles around anything else I own.

Jim,
what you said about it being more about the group than fancy sixguns also hit home. All through the '90s and few years after that, I was lucky enough to be part of a group of collectors that would religiously attend the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn. We had a great time during the years that boat loads of surplus military arms were hitting the country. We traded guns, stories and some spectacular finds. A lot of them have passed on, retired and or fled south for warmer climates. I know it's not the same, but still great memories from younger days.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Great thread, Scott. Thanks for starting it.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:49 am
One day it will be my turn. I am thankful to be a part of such a collection of people!
We all will go down that trail sooner or later. Today was very emotional for me because of John Linebaugh’s passing and I was so honored to be asked to participate in saying Adios to my old friend.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:00 pm
JimT wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:49 am
We all will go down that trail sooner or later. Today was very emotional for me because of John Linebaugh’s passing and I was so honored to be asked to participate in saying Adios to my old friend.
Didn't get a chance at forum stuff 'til today. Thursday was indeed an emotional time, seven memorials in one year is tough. It was tough for me also as it was the 30th anniversary of my Dad's "crossing the river". Looking forward to that great reunion where there will be no more parting. It was great to see you again old friend, and to meet your lovely wife and your pup.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Paul, I once overheard my pastor remark to a colleague, "it looks like our class is beginning to graduate. . ."

perhaps we are getting ahead up the long narrow trail that leads us home ?

grizz
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:21 am Paul, I once overheard my pastor remark to a colleague, "it looks like our class is beginning to graduate. . ."

perhaps we are getting ahead up the long narrow trail that leads us home ?

grizz
Shucks, we got news today that the son of folks we know passed suddenly. None of us knows how long we have. Some of us, however, know where we're headed and although we don't seek to hasten the inevitable we do not dread it either. The longer I live the more folks go ahead of me. That just means the welcoming committee is getting larger.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

AmBraCol wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:41 pm Some of us, however, know where we're headed and although we don't seek to hasten the inevitable we do not dread it either.
Well said Paul.