.22 handguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

.22 handguns

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

All of my adult life I have used .22 sixguns and semi automatic pistols and I find them to be very useful tools.

Training, shooting snakes and rats, small game and plinking are always on the menu when I’m on the ranch or in the back country.
As much as I like Ruger MKII pistols I generally prefer a revolver.

What’s your favorite.22 pistol or revolver?

This old Ruger is probably my favorite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: .22 handguns

Post by 1894cfan »

Holster?
My first .22 was a Ruger 4 3/4" MKII, my second was a Ruger Super Single Six 5 1/2" that I bought used and sent back to Ruger for a 6 1/2" barrel. Wish now that I had left it alone.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a number of .22lr handguns but don't shoot any of them as often as centerfire guns. I'd rather shoot a .38, a .44 spl or a .45 Colt when I'm out and about. But when I am shooting a .22, my most accurate one is a High Standard Supermatic Trophy, my most easily carried is a Smith model 34 Kit Gun and my best standby is an old Smith model 17. I have a Ruger MKIV Competition equiped with Volquartsen and Tandemkross aftermarket goodies which I use when introducing guns to a new shooter, right after the staggered rounds in a revolver exercise. I also have several other semi-auto .22s that I shoot even less frequently.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Hey, 1894cfan, I once called Ruger to ask if they would install a different length barrel on a Blackhawk and they told me, "Oh no, we can't do that. Then the description of your gun as we sent it out the door would be invalid". Some bozo...that's funny now.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott, all i have is an olde Ruger Automatic, and a new wrangler that i've only fired a wee bit. . . .

I can see that i failed to get a K22 when the getting was good... LOL
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:44 am Scott, all i have is an olde Ruger Automatic, and a new wrangler that i've only fired a wee bit. . . .

I can see that i failed to get a K22 when the getting was good... LOL
That Standard Model Ruger probably outshoots most modern .22s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When it was legal over here I had a Spanish Astra Cadix 9 shot d/a revolver with adjustable sights, maybe not the quality of S/W or Colt but I had a lot of fun with it even took a fox with it.
77xLXZZl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

These three get the most use, but the Rugers get more outside time these days. I have one or the other in my pocket when I'm outside working around the house. I have a Ruger MKII, but don't shoot it a lot and my dad and I are always trading a Colt Match Target back and forth that's been in the family since the '50s. He's had the Colt for awhile now since I haven't come up with anything he's wanted bad enough to give it back to me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Ruger RST4 std auto, OM SS 6.5, NM SS 6.5, NM SS 4.62(this one carried the most). But.....seldom carried of late, maybe when running traps.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have a K22, 10" Ruger MKII - muzzle break and d&t for scope along with trigger job, a B model Hi Standard, also a S&W auto ( not a 422- can never remember the model!) that wears a red dot.
The MKII was an absolute hoot on the dog towns! The muzzle break allowed you to watch bullet strike through the 2x scope.
I need a case of 22s and go plink for a whole weekend! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've got a lot of .22's ... hence the moniker Rimfire McNutjob. My favorite in the handgun area is the 6" Colt Diamondback. Smooth, accurate, and well balanced. That almost sounds like a beer description.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

First .22 handgun I fired was my uncle's K-22, when I was probably about 12. I was ON TOP OF THE WORLD. 8)
Dad bought me a Ruger standard model for my 18th birthday in 1971. I probably shot the Ruger "slabside" gummint auto better than any .22 pistols I have owned -- my one winter of indoor bullseye league. Currently have the MkIV 22/45 bull barrel and it is a fine basic pistol. I am watching the new Super Wrangler line pretty closely though. If they bring it out in 4 5/8 and birdshead configuration, I'll likely be a goner.
Scott, that simple Threepersons style holster, basketweave, fits your old Single Six perfectly. I had a used but accurate flat gate years back and got talked out of it. I am so easy ... too easy! :lol:
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My first was a H&R 922 purchased from the town's shady second-hand dealer when I was 14.
I later traded it to the same dealer for a High Standard Double-Nine. After it was stolen, my first new handgun was a Ruger Mark I.
I've since added a Single-Six Bisley and a Frontier Scout.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

In the past nearly 60 years ive had many 22 hand guns, use to trap & ran hounds for coon, all i ever used was
a 22 revolver. now a 22 is seldom used but the High Standard double nine is my favorite for the past 30 years
very easy to load ( for a 22) & very easy to schuck the emptys

ollogger
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Among my miscellaneous .22s there is also an original Colt .22 conversion for a 1911. I have read that those have really gone up in value....I haven't shot mine in at least 25 years. Gotta keep them clean or they don't work.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In my opinion, for single actions, nothing beats a Ruger, not even a Colt. For semis, it’s the same. Most, I shoot, but these early 1950’s Flatgates in like new condition are safe queens.—00

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Just beautiful, Six! I love the patina on the older guns.

Thanks!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I had a bunch before that darn boating accident. My favorites were my old model Ruger Single Six for a single-action and a High Standard Supermatic Citation for the semi-auto. Like Six, I love my Ruger semi-automatics too, but that High Standard is an incredible tack-driver. The only gun I ever had stolen was a Colt .22 LR single-action. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:47 pm Scott, that simple Threepersons style holster, basketweave, fits your old Single Six perfectly. I had a used but accurate flat gate years back and got talked out of it. I am so easy ... too easy! :lol:
That’s an old Lawrence holster.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Walt wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:12 am I have a number of .22lr handguns but don't shoot any of them as often as centerfire guns. I'd rather shoot a .38, a .44 spl or a .45 Colt when I'm out and about.
I suppose I will second this emotion. I fire my Ruger 10/22’s and Henry lever .22’s far more than I have ever used one in handgun format.

Keeping with the Ruger theme, I have had both single sixes and a 22/45 but in both cases they were pretty easy to rehome to someone else when I was needing money for other things,

Make no mistake they were fun, but keeping them topped off was very tedious because we all know how quickly either six rounds out of a revolver or 10 ain a semi auto goes by

Given that my range results as of late have been abysmal with my bigger guns though, I will likely fill out the paperwork for a super wrangler next time I hit the gun shop. Brushing up on basic marksmanship is long overdue for me
----- Doug
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I got a pile of .22 pistols. Some have come and gone. Some of em are over my dad's place. There's a Colt Woodsman over there. He loves those things. Me...? Meh.
There is a Colt Frontier Scout over there too. When I was a kid, it was his only handgun, and the first one I ever fired. Probably why i have such a soft spot for the Colt SA 22s. Two of my sons have them too. Dad has a S&W some or other auto too. Nothing special. The only DA 22 revolver any of us has ever had is over there. A High Standard Sentinel. It was my uncles, but I've never fired it.
At my place there is a Steven's Tip Up single shot I got for my son when he was very young. My grandfather's High Standard model B he packed all over the Allagash when he was a warden before and during the war. I've got three Colt Single action 22s. A Scout convertible, a 1st year New Frontier, and a Peacemaker. These are my favorite. 22 handguns. I much prefer them to the Rugers (I know I'm in the minority, but I find the Single Six too heavy and chunky for a .22) There is also a S&W 4 inch 422. This was my favorite 22 auto for decades. It is super light and shoots wonderfully. My son really liked it so I gave it to him but he left it at my house. I replaced it with a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I like it, and it is a good shooter.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Love that Steven't Tip Up. I had a shot at a nice one at one time and I was too late.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:49 am Love that Steven't Tip Up. I had a shot at a nice one at one time and I was too late.
Thank you sir! I bought it for my son when he was about 3. I also got a minty Favorite in .22LR and another in 32RF for him.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:23 pm I got a pile of .22 pistols. Some have come and gone. Some of em are over at my dads.
Yea, that pile sure got a lot bigger after you left here……along with another pile of center fire SAA’s. You and that buffalo coat.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm calling Dibs on that Buffalo coat... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:48 pm In my opinion, for single actions, nothing beats a Ruger, not even a Colt. For semis, it’s the same. Most, I shoot, but these early 1950’s Flatgates in like new condition are safe queens.—00

+1
and two beauties!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

20170121_171054.jpg
I like this one.....need to shoot it more often too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

One good thing about a single action, it forces you to slow down a bit and be more deliberate about your shooting.

I tend to get lazy with my form when playing with a semiautomatic
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an older Single Six with both cyls....I can't imagine any reason why I would ever sell it. Fits me perfect and I shoot it better than almost any other handgun.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The old Ruger Standard Model and Mark II were amazingly accurate. If you could see it, they could put a bullet in it. My best target off-hand (no rest) with a Mark II was 10 rounds at 25 yards that I could cover with a .38 Special case I picked up at the range.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:38 am The old Ruger Standard Model and Mark II were amazingly accurate. If you could see it, they could put a bullet in it. My best target off-hand (no rest) with a Mark II was 10 rounds at 25 yards that I could cover with a .38 Special case I picked up at the range.
That’s exactly right and the old standard models shot to their fixed sights. I had a six inch version that accounted for a number of rabbits squirrels and snakes.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

My Favorites
IMG_3642.JPG
old_model_single_six.jpg
IMG_2409.JPG
IMG_2789.JPG
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

ot. anybody here have any experience/opinions with the .22 tcm
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Colt New Frontier ,Ruger New model Single Six ,Browning Buckmark . I wished I could see the sights like I used too.
Been shooting these every chance I get trying find ammo each likes.
Last edited by Pat C on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I really like the OM dovetail sighted Sixes. I've only got one but am on the lookout for more.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Bought the single six from Dave Clements yrs ago. Here's his description:

"I have an early 5 digit Single 6 in .22 LR for sale. This gun
has the XR3 frame with factory black plastic grips. Barrel length is 5 1/2", factory steel ejector hsg. drift adjustable rear sight. I set the barrel/ cyl. gap, recut crown and forcing cone, removed endshake, did an action job, installed an oversize basepin with Colt style head, installed new cylinder latch, and new trigger.

Barrel/cylinder alignment would rival a custom
cylindered gun with accuracy being superb. Sights were dead on
for me. Gun is finished in a nice polished blue with original
factory anodizing on gripframe. There are a few minor silver
edges on frame, but not enough to warrant refinishing. It has
been many years since I have seen a Single 6 with this good of
alignment and accuracy from a factory barrel and cylinder."
Added the Freedom Arms M97 (along with it's twin in .357) 15 yrs ago so that I would have something I could still handle in my dotage (getting there quicker than anticipated.
A couple of Smiths (K22 and M18)
Recently been really having fun with little .22 Autos (Ruger SR22 and Glock 44)
And a couple of 1911 conversions (Marvel and a Nelson Custom)
Can't say I've got a favorite - thoroughly enjoy shooting all of them. And as I age, they get a LOT more use.
Paul
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Pat and Paul, you fellows have some beautiful guns. I have a Freedom Arms m97 in a 5 1/2" .45 Colt and love it. A couple of m83s as well.

Jim T, I love Bisley hammers; I have put them on every Ruger I own.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

When I first shot a Ruger 22/45 MkII I was smitten. I bought it right then and there for my daughter. Than one for me.
I pined for a ten shot K22 and eventually got it.
Nirvana.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:54 pm Pat and Paul, you fellows have some beautiful guns. I have a Freedom Arms m97 in a 5 1/2" .45 Colt and love it. A couple of m83s as well.

Jim T, I love Bisley hammers; I have put them on every Ruger I own.
This Ruger Bisley .22 is one of 52 that we made specially for The Shootists back in 1994. Quite rare. Paul Persinger made the elephant ivory stocks for it.
IMG_4560.JPG
IMG_4562.JPG
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4577.JPG
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Although I haven't settled on best ammo yet the Colt New Frontier has a slight edge over Ruger in the potential accuracy depth. The Colt has chambered cylinder with tapered throats .

Rugers all have straight reamed cylinders .

The sights on both are coarse ,not what I consider target sights.

My plan on the Ruger is to mill a target style bead front blade and fine U notch rear.

The Ruger needs a trigger job but I like the heavy wide trigger.

My plan is to fine tune the single six so I can keep all shots in a 3" circle at 20 yards offhand.

Right now 4" - 5" is average
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

JimT, with only 52 made, I would say your Bisley .22 is quite rare! Thanks for the beautiful pictures.
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

My first .22 was Ruger Single Six with 9 1/2 inch barrel when I was 18 in 1965......shoots like a rifle ( very accurate)....and I still have it,
trapper45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by trapper45 »

My 6-1/2" Single-Six convertible is still my go-to, from original purchase new in '68 to now and beyond. Simple, reliable, and accurate, and works well with anything I feed it--what's not to like? Definitely my keeper.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

I have had a bunch of 22 pistols and all of them are accurate enough for plinking which was and is fantastic fun ,also good for bigger small game like rabbits, coons even frogs if you can get close enough.
Now for small grey squirrels in the top of a Hickory or Oak tree you aint gonna get many good killing shots.
For that a T/C Contender with a 10 inch barrel will bring em home consistantly,especially with a 2x or 4x scope.

I killed a lot of coots on fish and minnow ponds 40 to 50 years ago to keepem from eating all the small fish and minnows.
Even at a couple of hundred yarsd was not that tough as you could just watch where the bullets were hitting the water and walk the bullets till you got a good hit.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

For a semiauto pistol nothing beats a Hi Standard Supermatic for me. I've always loved them, and have had mine for 40 years now, and never missed a lick.
For a revolver the K22 S&W in a 6" barrel is tops.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/