Any love for Browning Replica Levers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Any love for Browning Replica Levers?

Post by big bear »

I started with a Browning 71 Standard grade rifle and that led me down the Winchester71 path to poverty, but that's another subject. Then I got a Browning 65 (218Bee), beat up a bit but with brass and bullets for pretty cheap, then a Browning 53 (32-20)with a scratch on the receiver for good price. As these were not "perfect" I added tang sights to both of them. Next I got a Browning 92 in 44Mag but later convinced myself I need a $3,000 rifle scope so bye-bye 44 :( . Lucky me I found an as new Browning 92 in 357Mag :D , so it's all good. Next I found a Browning 95 in 30'06.I got really lucky and got a Browning 71 carbine with some superficial pitting on the receiver for $400 8) ! Same fellow sold me a Browning 1886 HighFrade carbine with enough scuffs on it that I can shoot it as much as I lie (or my shoulder can tolerate).I put a Turnbull base on it and mounted a FastfireII on it just for kicks. And finally after a series of swaps and purchases of Finnwolf's and Winchester71's with a good buddy I ended up with new in the box High Grade Browning 71 rifle and carbine versions.

I think these Brownings are some of the nicest leveractioss out there.

If I had a time machine I would go back to the early 90's and buy 1 of everyone of these Browning replicas and put them away.Instead I was burning through money with IPSC pistols and gasoline going to matches (where I never won :lol:

Anybody else a fan of these Brownings?
Last edited by big bear on Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any love for Browning Replica Levers?

Post by Ray Newman »

I have a Browning 1886 in the rifle and carbine configurations. Well made, half cock safeties, and I just wished my eyes were better to take advantage of the barrel and tang sights. Rifle is heavy enough that bench shooting does not beat me up. Carbine has a bit more push behind it when I touch one off.

Of the other Browning lever action rifles, the only ones that really appeal to me are a 1892 in .357 and a 1895 in .30-40. Had the opportunity to buy a M71 in .348, but after shooting 3 or so rounds, I changed my mind. To me, the .348 recoil seemed excessive.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

One of the many guns I regret parting with is a Browning model 92 in .357, sold about 30 years ago to some now forgotten person who begged and pleaded for it. As I get older I realize that sold guns are so much harder to replace than the money they are sold for.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BLR in 358w
53 in 32-20
1886 45-70
Superposed 20ga

They all required work to be great. BLR trigger and barrel constriction. 53 got Stevesgunz treatment. The 86 had barrel constriction. The superposed had light primer strikes on the lower barrel, still not 100%.
Don’t care for the shiny finish.
Wouldn’t part with any of them.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The only Browning I have ever owned is a 92 in 44. I've had it a long time, and it's a good shooter, but I think the last time it was fired was by my oldest boy, maybe 10 years ago.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Word to the wise....never sell that rifle. not that many in the world :wink:
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have this Browning 1886 rifle and love it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a 20 ga Superposed Lightning M/I made in the late 60s in Belgium. It's a fine gun and the only Browning I have left.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I have a like new in the box 65 in 218 Bee. I have shot it some.
Also have a 92 in 44 mag and a 1886 SC in 45-70.
Very well built guns. I need to get them out to the range and give them some love.

JBowen
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tycer wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:27 pm BLR in 358w
53 in 32-20
1886 45-70
Superposed 20ga

They all required work to be great. BLR trigger and barrel constriction. 53 got Stevesgunz treatment. The 86 had barrel constriction. The superposed had light primer strikes on the lower barrel, still not 100%.
Don’t care for the shiny finish.
Wouldn’t part with any of them.
Change the hammer springs...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an 1886 carbine in .45-70 Government and I love it. Extremely well-made.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I like 'em but only have one, a '92 .44 mag, and it doesn't get out nearly enough. Still kicking myself for passing up a .357 for $350 about 20 years ago. If I ever run across a '95 in '06 it's coming home with me.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

DSCN0642.JPG
Browning.jpg
I can't say anything about other examples, but both of these rifles are 1st class. The 1886 carries it factory sights, but the 1885 carries a Lyman 17A front and Marbles Tang Peep. Both well made and well fitted. More accurate than I'm capable of being.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Griff: a lowall in .45 Colt!!! Wanted one, but by the time I acted, they were no longer available. Knew a few shooters who had them and all were pleased with the rile, the calibre, and results on the target or game.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:41 pmGriff: a lowall in .45 Colt!!! Wanted one, but by the time I acted, they were no longer available. Knew a few shooters who had them and all were pleased with the rile, the calibre, and results on the target or game.
Yeah, it's so much fun! Shoots loads from cowboy action level up to 45+P well.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

92 in 44 and BLR 81 in 243. Both quite accurate. 100 yds on the 243, 50 on the 92.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mark in MO
Levergunner

Post by Mark in MO »

I picked up a Browning 92 Centennial in 44 a couple of years ago. It was like new in the box with the original paperwork and manual. I really like it and it’s a lot of fun to shoot. Along with the 92 there was also a Browning 1886 in 45-70, both had been taken in on trade. While tempted I only had enough money for one at that time and so the 1886 didn’t make the cut. Now if I could just come across a 92 in 357…
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

A Browning 1886 45/70 still my holy grail dream gun since it first came out in the mid 1970s.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Pretty sure they didn't come out till mid to late 80's
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

veeman wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:00 pmPretty sure they didn't come out till mid to late 80's
Yeah, 1886 1st year of production was 1986.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Griff wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:44 pm
veeman wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:00 pmPretty sure they didn't come out till mid to late 80's
Yeah, 1886 1st year of production was 1986.
I stand corrected, but plead creeping senility! :? I got the B-1886 confused with the B-92 which came out in 1978, the year I graduated high school. My dad gifted me a 1894 Marlin 44 mag 2 years earlier, but when the Browning B-92 came out I started lusting after it, even considering trading in my Marlin for just a brief moment. I came to my senses, and still own my Marlin. I had an uncle back then who collected old Winchesters especially those associated with the Kingdom of Hawaii. He ordered a B-92, and he let me handle it. It was beautiful except we both did not like the thick glossy finish which made the stock look plastic and slippery. I remember him rubbing down the stock with steel wool and lemon oil to cut the sheen. My lust for the 1886 started later as clarified by you gentlemen, and continues to this day. Thank you for refreshing my foggy memory. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

... own 2 BLR '81 straight stock takedown leverguns in 308 Win ... one is stainless (synthetic laminate & stainless steel) and the other "blue" (blued steel & walnut) ... they both love the factory Federal Power Shok 180 grain ammo and shoot sub moa 3 shot groups @ 100 yds so I don't handload for them because they do so well with the off the shelf cheap ammo ... love them both
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I had a Browning m92 for a number of years and thought it was a fine gun. An acquaintance lusted after it to the extent that he'd beat me up (figuratively) every time I saw him so I finally sold it to him, convincing myself that it was a good idea with the weak excuse that the wood was soft and dented easily. Big mistake. It's one that I really regret selling.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I saw a B92 Centennial in 44 mag. today at the Old Fort Gun show. They were only asking $2,200 for it. :roll: :roll:

JBowen
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

JBowen wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:07 pm I saw a B92 Centennial in 44 mag. today at the Old Fort Gun show. They were only asking $2,200 for it. :roll: :roll:

JBowen
... you can pick up a Rossi 92 for a heck of a lot less than $2200 and if you're a bit handy you can get rid of the pigtail safety on top of the bolt and polish it up to be just as smooth :mrgreen:
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I’m a big fan of Browning leverguns and have managed to pick up a few over the years:

B-71 in 348 Win
B-92 in 44 mag
B-92 in 357 mag
B-1886 in 45/70
B-71 converted to 45/90

It’s a pity they don’t make them like that anymore.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Browning Model 1895 in 30-40 Krag. I installed a Providence Tool copy of the Lyman Model 21 receiver sight to be able to shoot longer distances. It was my primary deer rifle before my poor health and the loss of my hunting partner forced me to quit hunting. I killed four Blacktail bucks with it and each one was DRT with no follow-up shot required.
I also used it for NRA High Power Rifle Silhouette competition where the Ram targets are shot offhand at 500 meters. That Browning actually outshot some of the scoped rifles!

I also have a Miroku made Winchester 1886 Limited Edition Deluxe Takedown in 45-70 of which only 500 were made. It had the tang safety and rebounding hammer and misfired about 20% of the time, so I removed the hammer and safety and installed a Browning 1886 hammer to give it a standard half-cock safety. An MVA Soule vernier rear sight nicely covered the tang safety slot. It now goes bang every time and is a great NRA Lever Action Rifle Silhouette rifle.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta