Flat band 94s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Flat band 94s

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I saw a pile of 94 carbines today, including two flat bands.

Anybody know anything about this particular variant?
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Flat band 94s

Thinking about picking up a 1927 carbine with a nice barrel.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My understanding of the "Flat Band" carbines were that they were post WWII vintage guns. Something about the availability of the round stock necessary for the rounded front bands. IIRC, Madis' Winchester Book makes mention of it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

What was the pile selling for?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:12 pm My understanding of the "Flat Band" carbines were that they were post WWII vintage guns. Something about the availability of the round stock necessary for the rounded front bands. IIRC, Madis' Winchester Book makes mention of it.

THIS…..above this….I don’t know how to make those arrows Griff makes…..

They are a variation and some people put a premium on them……what it does do it that it shows instant recognition of an early post war gun….just guessing here…’46-‘49 or so. Many of the early ones from ‘46 are left over parts from pre war production and usually……IF you have an eye for it, will exhibit a tiny bit of superior craftsmanship and possibly darker bluing…..

I can spot a pre war carbine from a post war carbine a mile away but many of the flatbands will carry on the pre war look. After 1952 when Winchester went to the short forend barrel band collectibility decreases…..

Their barrels that are chambered for the 30-30 will be marked “30 W.C.F.” which is cool. I had several and one was a super nice 25-35 that I sold Olloger. Last year I sold a like new one in 30 WCF for a grand…

Around 1950 when the WW2 vets started getting better financially, production skyrocketed along with cost cuts and that’s why I won’t give 2 cents for a post 1952 carbine….
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Turdyturdy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Turdyturdy »

Well, with my 75 year old eyes I won’t even consider a 94 that does not have the receiver pre drilled and tapped for an aperture sight. I believe that’s about 1952 on. My most accurate 94 is a 1961 30-30. I mounted a Williams receiver sight and a fine fiber optic front sight. Yeah I know sacrilege but either that or leave them in the gun safe.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I did note that the 1927 carbine was not drilled and tapped.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had a flat band 94 wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when I was a teenager, it was a nice carbine and shot well. Kinda wish I still had it.

My current 1950 vintage 94 has a defective chamber :( and splits most of the cases shot in it. It looks almost brand new and I'm sure that's why. I got it for so inexpensive, it was one of those "too good to be true" deals.
I have a replacement barrel for it but health issues, no place to shoot a rifle, and stuff in general, have prevented me from
re-barreling it.
When I do get it rebarreled I will also drill and tap it for a receiver sight. All it takes is a bit of time and effort.

I am not a collector, I'm shooter, so I don't give a hoot about collectability of a brand, model, caliber or finish. All I care about is that the rifle functions reliably and shoots accurately. For what it's worth, as much as I like the pre-64s, I've had less trouble with the post-64s I've owned. Sadly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I think there’s something special about a 94 carbine. The carbine buttstock in particular.

But a 94 has always been a working rifle. At home in a saddle scabbard or propped up next to the back door.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Turdyturdy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:50 am pre drilled and tapped for an aperture sight. I believe that’s about 1952 on.
hmmm, that's strange. I have a late 40's flat band in 32WS that is drilled and tapped. Had a receiver sight on it for a while. can't decide what I like better. Maybe in a few years when my eyes get a little worse I'll want to switch over on some more guns.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

What I find interesting during this era post war you see a drastic change in quality of final finish especially the receivers.
A lot of the original design lines are often blended out not sharp and crisp as the pre war rifles were.

It's hit and miss though ,almost like this was a learning curve era where many of the old time masters had retired.

I have serial 1,590xxx just missed flat band and is 1948 production. It's a nice carbine but the receiver was poorly polished ,edges rounded ,wavy . I had one in the 1,700xxx range and it was perfect .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pat C wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:22 am What I find interesting during this era post war you see a drastic change in quality of final finish especially the receivers.
A lot of the original design lines are often blended out not sharp and crisp as the pre war rifles were.

It's hit and miss though ,almost like this was a learning curve era where many of the old time masters had retired.

I have serial 1,590xxx just missed flat band and is 1948 production. It's a nice carbine but the receiver was poorly polished ,edges rounded ,wavy . I had one in the 1,700xxx range and it was perfect .
The quality you noticed is inherent in all brands of good guns and the changes most always coincides with a war or other social calamity such as a depression…….I know people who won’t touch anything made after 1898……..then there’s the next era that ends around 1912……after ww1 quality took a nosedive but craftsmanship was still mostly there due to the old timers who were still alive…..my personal era stops at WW1 except for pristine examples of hard to get calibers, single action Colts, early Rugers and Smiths up until around 1980.

Then quality stayed about the same up until WW2 and then it went to hell and then after ‘64 it went below hell, those post 64 guns are excellent shooters though the quality in fit, finish, and polishing went to hell. Take any Winchester from the 1870’s-to 1900 period that has seen little to no use without bubba taking it apart and examine it closely.

And they did all this before CNC machinery but labor was cheap in those days, even engraving was relatively affordable.

I don’t read this stuff…I’ve lived it for 50 years…..—-006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

This ^^^. (Six, shift 6 to find the ^, unless you're on a phone.)

I stripped a Smith Hand Ejector in .32 from about 1911 once. I could count my mustache hairs in some of the internal parts they were that well polished.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Good morning,

The flat band variation of the Model 94 carbines began during 1946 in the SN 137555 range and was continued until late 1948 approximately in the SN 1545430 range. By the end of 1948 production all carbines had the rounded or milled forward barrel bands.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

twobit wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:58 am Good morning,

The flat band variation of the Model 94 carbines began during 1946 in the SN 137555 range and was continued until late 1948 approximately in the SN 1545430 range. By the end of 1948 production all carbines had the rounded or milled forward barrel bands.

Michael
that's very useful information. my 32 WS serial number starts with 152 and has the flat band.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Evidently there were other changes during the 'Flat Band' era of the '94.

Turnbull Restoration has a great article on them:
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/win ... uest-post/.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are