This New Engine Could Destroy The Entire EV Industry!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

This New Engine Could Destroy The Entire EV Industry!

Post by COSteve »

Last edited by COSteve on Wed May 03, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: This New Engine Coud Destroy The Entire EV Industry!

Post by rossim92 »

well, the stuff is highly explosive. how do they reduce the risk if in an accident? I know there are a lot of things running on the stuff. just looking at the safety factor.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

rossim92 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:07 pm
well, the stuff is highly explosive. how do they reduce the risk if in an accident? I know there are a lot of things running on the stuff. just looking at the safety factor.
Same thing was said about gasoline, and AC electricity was going to burn down the house of everyone it didn't electrocute first.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I ain't holdin' my breath about this "new" engine. Seems to me it was a big about 35+ years ago. Call me Doubting Thomas but I will believe it when I see it....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What I've learned in my previous life, is that these are always presented by the proponents in the absolute best possible light... To the exclusion of very real and dangerous by products.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I agree with all the comments above. I threw this post up to see what you all think. I have a feeling its a bunch of hype, however, there are hydrogen fueled vehicles around and their point about the precious metals used in batteries is very valid so I'm wondering if it has some place in the transportation scheme of things.
Steve
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Most of my 36 years in the industrial gas business was spent producing and transporting Hydrogen. Being the lightest gas creates a few challenges but it can be safely harnessed. Glad to see this coming.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

An excellent answer to the destruction of building batteries.
It is not the critic who counts
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Isnt hydrogen a bit unstable?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Hydrogen has been traveling over the roads for a very long time, gas and liquid, in cylinders and tube and tanker trailers.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The video said the hydrogen is stored in ' armored tanks ' plus they are located in/ on center line of the car.

I think it was Chrysler back in the late 50- early 60’s that put a nuclear plant in a sedan. That was more of a danger that hydrogen if ya ask me!

Saw an article earlier about the new Ford 150 EVs catching fire on the dealers lot! Why? They are over heating in the sun!! Ya cant put a lithium fire out easily, they are prone to reigniting. Small town fire departments aren't equipped to fight battery fires. Heck in Europe you are not allowed to park your battery car in parking garages.

It takes more fossil fuels to produce lithium ore than those cars can save, not to mention polluting the surrounding area with all the spoils.
The US grid is sadly unable to supply enough electricity to charge everyone's tesla at the same time.
I say bring on the hydrogen engine.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just my opinion, so I'm sorry if anyone take offense.

It's not about better, safer, or the environment.
Hydrogen won't go anywhere, nor will anything else. The EV push will continue, because it's the one that limits the publics travel, localizes society into urban areas, and makes them easier to control. Period.
People can scream they don't want em, prove they aren't safe, and prove they won't work. It doesn't matter. The government and their puppet auto industry already knows all that. It's an agenda.
The mistake the right makes is thinking that if they prove their point and are "right", it somehow matters. And that it will effect a change somehow. That they can make people "see the light". That fight is already over. In reality, the majority already thinks that. But look who's in control.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'd love to see hydrogen engines succeed. The electrics don't have much appeal to me, although a friend is crazy about his Rivian pickup.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hydrogen is a viable resource and alternative to EV's, but I'm going to sit back and watch. With all the tax dollars the government has given to EV manufacturers, and rebates given to customers who buy them in the form of tax credits, I'm betting the government wont give one dime to assist development of hydrogen powered vehicles.
I'd think that with today's technology that many of the hazard concerns people have about hydrogen refueling, or accidents wont be an issue these days. And having the same range as batteries, but with a 90 second refuel time makes it more viable than batteries. Not to mention not being at the mercy of foreign countries for the lithium used in batteries, or the horrible mess of recycling landfills for dead batteries!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

There's a H2 fueling station across from the Toyota offices in Torrance California. It has been there a long while.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Hydrogen is a viable resource and alternative to EV's, but I'm going to sit back and watch. With all the tax dollars the government has given to EV manufacturers, and rebates given to customers who buy them in the form of tax credits, I'm betting the government wont give one dime to assist development of hydrogen powered vehicles."

--MarlinMan93

BINGO! You just caught the brass ring and get another free ride on the merry-ro-round!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hydrogen as direct combustion fuel CANNOT make a vehicle do what we do with them. the range is nil. there is a very good video on the subject that explains the issue . . . BUT as a fuel-cell, ? IDK

grizz
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Of course there are “chicken littles” running all over the world a-scared of their own shadow. I really don’t care, as I will be driving an internal combustion engine driven car until I can’t drive anymore.

The world is full of liars, trying to create an image of an apocalyptic destruction of the world due to man and his technological advances. Put me down as a skeptic on how soon the world will implode because of global warming, exhaust emissions and other ridiculous fantasies that losers are hoping will create a hostile takeover.

More imminent in the destruction of the world is the threat by the liberal, morally decayed losers that are forcing LBGT and similar lifestyles on us as an acceptable way of life…
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

While I'd like to say the same, the simple truth is, we aren't in control of the supply of current fossil fuels. They can be stopped or priced/taxed out of existence. And, as we know, the shelf life of such fuels has been reduced dramatically in recent years. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thus has been bugging me since I first saw this... I worked hard in high school chemistry and by sheer luck had a peach of a teacher who gave me a "D" instead of the "F" I earned, cause I dropped it like a hot potato. But ain't water expressed as H2O? Or 2 parts hydrogen & 1 part water, right? So, how do you burn hydrogen and end up with water as the emission? I plainly heard them say that in the video. There's something in that exhaust that's harmful to the environment! And like other proponents for anything, they're lying by omission!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

The combustion products of H2 and O2 are water and heat.
The combustion products of H2 and AIR are water, heat and nitrogen oxides. Other combustion products are possible depending on air quality.

Pure H2 is odorless and burns with a clear flame in the daytime. "Shadows" of the flame can be observed during the day, as well as heat striations.

How light is H2? Lighter than Helium, so once free of containment, H2 ascends at a phenomenal rate.

I don't see a H2 powered vehicle traveling coast to coast anytime soon but we have seen in town commuters make use of it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TomF wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:37 am I don't see a H2 powered vehicle traveling coast to coast anytime soon but we have seen in town commuters make use of it.
Tom, range of vehicles depends on the inherent BTUs in the fuel. This chart lists some gasoline equivalents >
https://www.treehugger.com/fuel-energy- ... sons-85636

the issue seems to be how to contain and transport, say, 400 miles worth of any other fuel. My old chevy van can go around 450 miles with reserves on a 25 gallon tank, around 20Mpg. Consistent in city and high speed driving.

My question is what is the equivalent range to 20Mpg gasoline in any other fuel, and what is the weight and technology to use it?

thanks,
grizz
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

According to the video linked the hydrogen vehicles will have a 300 mile range, and take 90 seconds to refuel. So if they're being truthful the range is similar to an EV, but the refueling time is the big advantage IF they get enough fueling stations.
As for the safety concerns, I think they'll have to make refueling idiot proof, but with technology today that shouldn't be an issue. EV's sure haven't been safe from fires that have destroyed numerous cars, homes, and other vehicles close by when they decide to melt down.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

At 60-70 miles/kilo, a 5 kilogram tank should equate to 350 miles on a perfect day. The fuel is compressed to 700 bar or 10,000 psi. Tanks appear to be light weight composites. I'm assuming more than one tank is on board. Capacity and BTU value should equate to distance.

I found one source concerning cost at $16/kilo so $80 for a full tank to go 350 miles.

I'd like to understand the refueling process. Seems awful quick.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TomF wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 am At 60-70 miles/kilo, a 5 kilogram tank should equate to 350 miles on a perfect day. The fuel is compressed to 700 bar or 10,000 psi. Tanks appear to be light weight composites. I'm assuming more than one tank is on board. Capacity and BTU value should equate to distance.

I found one source concerning cost at $16/kilo so $80 for a full tank to go 350 miles.

I'd like to understand the refueling process. Seems awful quick.
the air tanks in my Navy tug were rated over 7000psi, and were made of half-inch thick steel.. probably half ton each...hydrogen tanks resemble reinforced scuba tanks so they're lighter. and 23c per mile is about what my gas costs are.... Big BUT, the infrastructure for hydrogen power doesn't exist, same as EVs...

is it possible that hydrogen generation and storage can replace all the fossil fuels used by ICEs and EVs? in a rational time frame? and what happens if hydrogen generation unhinges the oxy content of the atmosphere?

back in the early 70s I had a friend who was a world class mathematician, convinced that the world would run out of oil in the near future. He converted his VW van to propane and was So Happy... gas was 24c, I don't know what his operating costs were.

it turns out that there is a very strong argument that oil is manufactured by internal earth processes, something I have been saying since the early 70s !! But i couldn't convince a world-class math whiz.....
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

TomF wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 am I'd like to understand the refueling process. Seems awful quick.
It's simple, like propane, hydrogen is under pressure and it transfers very quickly from a high pressure vessel to a lower pressure one. Same as filling your tires with air at the gas station or from your air compressor.
Steve
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think if we try hard enough we can find fault with any type of vehicle power. Even bicycles require the operator to take in oxygen and exhale nitrogen mix. So nothing is without an issue. That's without even considering they all take some toll on the environment to build, and some have issues with recycling the parts they consume, and need replacement periodically. I still think EV's are the worst when you consider the whole package and what it's impact is on the environment as a whole.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

COSteve wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:02 am
TomF wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:24 am I'd like to understand the refueling process. Seems awful quick.
It's simple, like propane, hydrogen is under pressure and it transfers very quickly from a high pressure vessel to a lower pressure one. Same as filling your tires with air at the gas station or from your air compressor.
Yessir. That's the quick answer. I guess I see things from a different prospective as a retiree of the hydrogen business. Connectors, safety systems, containment, product integrity, pressure control, etc. I'm sure the newest product handling equipment is user friendly and automated to insure safety for the public.

1 kilogram H2 is equal to 423 std cu. ft. (2 A size steel cylinders at std fill)
Fuel cylinders are 5.6 kilos.

Looking forward to seeing this technology progress.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This New Engine Could Destroy The Entire EV Industry!

Post by Grizz »

do you have the BTUs for comparisons? we have 4$ gas at costco today. the chevy van gets 20mpg. i am looking at a little beater that gets 35mpg around town, which is 11c per mile, and at 39mpg (which I think is what some hatches get) is 10.25c per mile, which turns 4$ gas into the equivalent of 2$ gas.

what would it take to get 20c/mile, or the more delicious 10.25c/mile from the new tech?

this seems to be the most rational way to rate car performance.

every time my wife flys to Tx she thinks it's cheap travel, but i am carrying all of her stuff, and all my camping gear, and all the grandkid stuff for around 25c/mi, and so far there is no other form of transportation that allows me to go whenever and wherever i want to, carrying whatever i like to have with me, on my schedule, that can come anywhere near two bit miles . . .

EVERYTHING that is proposed has to meet this benchmark to be viable, and ices are the most cost-effective solution for our needs. so far.

All the palaver about the mythical carbon monster and humans steering the climate is just so much fever delirium from the deceived and thoughtless herd. The purpose of it all is so that the proletariat will lie down and allow the marxististas to roll over humanity.

find me a vehicle that does all that mine do, cheaper than what they can do, and i'd be interested. meantime carbon based fuel is a gift from Father for the our benefit. the ones who are breathlessly undoing Father's blessings are coincidentally the ones who hate Him . . .

I am interested in new technology, but most of the effects of it seem to be pointed at us, hey?

:)
grizz
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

https://h2tools.org/hyarc/calculator-to ... ency-fuels

This may help your calculations.

I'm asuming hydrogen purity at 99.999+
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

TomF wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:05 pm https://h2tools.org/hyarc/calculator-to ... ency-fuels

This may help your calculations.

I'm asuming hydrogen purity at 99.999+
THANKS Tom. good info. If H were to replace gasoline and diesel, how do you think it would go? Is it possible to have no-battery electric drives? Or hydrogen stations on every corner replacing the gas stations? And H tank trucks filling all the reservoirs? Or bottle exchanges like propane?

I'm curious about how this might work out. Could hydrogen give us a nickle-per-mile transportation network?

thanks
grizz
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

For towns folks it should be an easy transfer. Infrastructure (fill stations) may be localized due to the need for low pressure source, compression and the final High Pressure storage. Hauling distant H2 over the road may not be cost effective, tube or tank trailer. If it'd be done, the costs of fuel will likely eclipse super cheap status. On site production, if feasible, would be a boon to the business. I doubt we'll see exchangeable fuel tanks
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Grizz wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 6:20 pm... and at 39mpg (which I think is what some hatches get) is 10.25c per mile...
Using $4/gal, our hybrid sedan costs 7 c/mi on average. Our little electric runabout (town use only) costs about 4.5 c/mi in electricity, and that's with the more expensive juice from the wind turbines. With coal juice, it'd be 3.5, but those are being shut down rapidly here, so I've already made the switch.