Seventy Three Years

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Seventy Three Years

Post by JimT »

Of Me And Single Actions

1950.JPG
1969.jpg
1987.jpg
2001.jpg
2014.JPG
2023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Re: Seventy Three Years

Post by Walt »

Pretty good grip to be holding up that single action at age three.

Thanks for the pictures, Jim
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Walt wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:15 am Pretty good grip to be holding up that single action at age three.

Thanks for the pictures, Jim
I was four. Strong for my age! Besides, Dad had a string from the barrel to the ceiling. :lol:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought something was up. The pic didn't survive a full physics analysis. Your dad was a sneaky dude. :mrgreen:
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I see now where you got your aptitude for being a practical jokester
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

8) 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good on ya, Jim. My first single action was a brass-framed Navy imported by Hawes. Dad let me buy it from a little gun shop in Scotia, California -- Humboldt County -- about 1970 after I showed him all the stuff I had to do to load and shoot the thing. I believe he figured it would be hard for me to hurt myself. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:54 pm Good on ya, Jim. My first single action was a brass-framed Navy imported by Hawes. Dad let me buy it from a little gun shop in Scotia, California -- Humboldt County -- about 1970 after I showed him all the stuff I had to do to load and shoot the thing. I believe he figured it would be hard for me to hurt myself. :lol:
I had one of those! An 1851 Navy. I experimented with duplex loads .. black powder starting charge with a cylinder full of smokeless powder. One day I was shooting it and the barrel, cylinder and cylinder arbor went down range. Stripped the threads right out of the frame. That was the end of that.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

You missed one of your best fotos....
R.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:06 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:54 pm Good on ya, Jim. My first single action was a brass-framed Navy imported by Hawes. Dad let me buy it from a little gun shop in Scotia, California -- Humboldt County -- about 1970 after I showed him all the stuff I had to do to load and shoot the thing. I believe he figured it would be hard for me to hurt myself. :lol:
I had one of those! An 1851 Navy. I experimented with duplex loads .. black powder starting charge with a cylinder full of smokeless powder. One day I was shooting it and the barrel, cylinder and cylinder arbor went down range. Stripped the threads right out of the frame. That was the end of that.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I aspire to be shooting single actions for 73 years one day! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Where’s that Remington now Jim? … If you find it can have it?….looks to have a fair amount of condition. I know where a brand new unfired one is. …..
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:21 pm Where’s that Remington now Jim? … If you find it can have it?….looks to have a fair amount of condition. I know where a brand new unfired one is. …..
In the late 1940's my Dad bought a shipment of Remingtons from James Serven. None were "collectible" of that day. He paid about an average of $10 per gun. Some had cracked cylinders. He had a gunsmithing business and converted some to .22 rimfire. Others he converted to .38 Special and sold them all. He kept a couple of the better examples for himself. Over the years they got sold off.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:29 pm
In the late 1940's my Dad bought a shipment of Remingtons from James Serven. None were "collectible" of that day. He paid about an average of $10 per gun. Some had cracked cylinders. He had a gunsmithing business and converted some to .22 rimfire. Others he converted to .38 Special and sold them all. He kept a couple of the better examples for himself. Over the years they got sold off.
Jim, there’s two people on this board who know about James Serven……..you……and me..

Just like model 19 Smiths and a Ruger blackhawks are on near every gun shops shelves, Remington c&b’s ,1860 and 1851 Navies were on shelves back in the 40’s. To take that matter further, near every model of antique Winchesters could be had for peanuts. I don’t read this stuff….I’ve made it a life’s work to talk to the old timers that were probably your pops age who lived through it….

Common knowledge that the black powder dash numbers along with anything black powder were used as rebar up to WW2 and shortly after.

Herb Glass was a legend…he came across a dozen crates of new in wood crate of 1894 and 1895 Winchesters which he bought for peanuts….that were destined for the England lend lease but never made it and sat in a Ny warehouse until Herb found out about them….the crates were all broken up except for one which sold cover 200 G’s. about 10 years ago.I had conversations with his son Herb Glass Jr. at the better gun shows and we sat and talked for hours on the golden days of gun collecting. Those crates of Winchesters were made in 1923 and each gun was wrapped in a “50th year anniversary” paper wrapping on the buttstock s

I was smart enough to get in on the action in the early seventies as prices were climbing but not to the level to what they are today.

James Serven and Herb Glass and Jim Taylor……now you know why I laugh at the junk being made today…and it’s functional but junk….and I know you agree but won’t say it in print because your a nice guy. :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

dead silence.............