Oh Nath...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Oh Nath...

Post by GunnyMack »

A friend of yours is here!
20230403_170547.jpg
out my kitchen window, I had dumped some rancid walnuts there yesterday, he is eating the walnuts.
Funny thing is he looks to be in very good condition even though he has a bum left rear leg!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Oh Nath...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I know the little rascals wanted to kill my chickens -- and they did -- but they look enough like dogs to give me pause. It must be the animal form, as dogs, coyotes, foxes and wolves all kinda do it for me. Bears are right behind.
Terrible confessions from a hunter, I know ...
I used to spread bird seed out behind the visitor center at Oliver Lee State Park in New Mexico. One time I glanced out there and one of our desert foxes was lapping it up as fast as he could. They are opportunists from the word go!
This one got me though ... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x70d3Uw6Nxs
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a Labrador that would get the vacuum out when she wanted to be vacuumed!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:08 pm I had a Labrador that would get the vacuum out when she wanted to be vacuumed!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Smart dog!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes but EVERY DAY !?She didn't get that dirty that fast.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Couple of years ago was going to let the dogs out when I spied these two joined at the hip! Did not have the heart to interrupt, so I sat by the window, had a smoke and a cup of coffee. Finally 45 minutes later, with rest periods in between jousts they left. Dogs about exploded waiting to pee.

http://prntscr.com/3XrRPrXOWLRX
Last edited by Bronco on Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parker just learned about that last weekend! May 28th puppies due !!!!!!!!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:10 pm A friend of yours is here!20230403_170547.jpgout my kitchen window, I had dumped some rancid walnuts there yesterday, he is eating the walnuts.
Funny thing is he looks to be in very good condition even though he has a bum left rear leg!
Rear left you say.....oops 😬🤫
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Must have been the wind blowing your 17HMR at your shot across the pond!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

I've only seen a handful of fox in these parts over the years and never a Kit. My FIL had a grey living in his back yard for a time, interesting critters.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

We have 2 smaller dogs and live in a small valley at the base of the Rockies with wildlife all over the place. Between the coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, deer, elk, bear and a rare mountain lion in our back yard, it's standard procedure to check it first before we let them out.

We have a walkout basement so the porch is elevated and we put a baby gate up at night to keep them on the porch if they have to go when it's dark as we don't want to light up the whole back yard and wake up the neighbors just to make sure the dogs don't get carried away by something.

When we first moved in back in 1996, we had a cat and I nicknamed him 'hors d'oeuvre'. My kids were in grammar school at the time and asked their mom what that word meant. When she told them, they were upset at me for a few days. :D :lol:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If I opened the front door and kept it open they would walk in here and sit down…pets.

This is the one that watches TV with us.

This is a 20 pounder…we feed them well.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:45 pm If I opened the front door and kept it open they would walk in here and sit down…pets.

This is the one that watches TV with us.

This is a 20 pounder…we feed them well.
I'm afraid my Low Wall would get exercised... then the backhoe!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:43 pm
I'm afraid my Low Wall would get exercised... then the backhoe!
OK, I can shoot fish in a barrel too….or the sitting duck….where’s the challenge? Foxes, like deer, crows, etc only do what their instincts tell them to do. I’ve killed near everything there is to kill and I regret most of it.

My in laws run a custom butchering business and these guys come in with 10-16 point bucks with 24” spreads which they kill locally…..sure, it’s needed and the deer provide excellent meat……but where’s the challenge? When I hunted, it was a two week ordeal to get one 8 point. …..and I did it every year when the success ratio was 10%…….anymore I’d sooner just go to the supermarket and get pre killed beef.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:04 pm
Griff wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:43 pmI'm afraid my Low Wall would get exercised... then the backhoe!
OK, I can shoot fish in a barrel too….or the sitting duck….where’s the challenge? Foxes, like deer, crows, etc only do what their instincts tell them to do. I’ve killed near everything there is to kill and I regret most of it.

My in laws run a custom butchering business and these guys come in with 10-16 point bucks with 24” spreads which they kill locally…..sure, it’s needed and the deer provide excellent meat……but where’s the challenge? When I hunted, it was a two week ordeal to get one 8 point. …..and I did it every year when the success ratio was 10%…….anymore I’d sooner just go to the supermarket and get pre killed beef.
Yea, but the neighbors little goats, chickens and such will thank me. I don't pose a threat to the rabbits or tree rats around my place, as they don't pose a threat to the neighbors livestock, such as it is. I haven't seen a fox near me, but I class them in with coyotes, vermin.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not any way to hunt in my neighborhood. I have to leave the city for that. Last wild critter I saw was a coyote hunting housecats at night about a year ago. I put a BB into his ribs and he put it into high gear. Probably didn't do more than sting him a bit. He sure jumped. Just to be safe, I was carrying a 9mm with glow in the dark sights in a holster. The BB gun was a Crossman pump up with only 4 pumps in it. Not enough to do any damage. I doubt that it even broke the skin. He could have come at me, and my 9mm would have come out. He left in a hurry, and I let him go. I hope he got the message that there were better places to go. We have 2 Terrierists who are smaller than that coyote, and I didn't want my dogs getting hurt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I have a game camera set up in my driveway and I get mostly foxes and coyotes. But raccoons, skunks, ringtail cats and housecats come by at night. After a rain I've found muddy bear tracks in the driveway and I know that neighbors have reported bobcats and mountain lions seen from their security cameras. A fair number of deer hang around my neighborhood as well as wild turkeys.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Foxes were introduced into Australia in the mid 1800s for recreational hunting and spread rapidly throughout the country with significant impacts on native species, lambs, poultry, etc

This is the result of a weekend shoot in the Williams district of WA, in March 2020.

The tally was: Foxes 281 – Rabbits 208 – Feral Cats 18 – Feral Pigs 13.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sorry six, to close to the lambs.
IMG_20230406_225319.jpg
Lambing is nearly finished on this place.
At least three will arrive to the funeral!
133paces 17 HMR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

17 HMR seems to have been a lucky happenstance. That cartridge has earned a reputation for great accuracy as well as being able to take small game with good results.
I have a 17 WSM which is faster and can shoot a heavier bullet. I used it on coyotes a couple of times, and it put both coyotes down without any trouble. The WSM is harder to find.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Bruce, I believe no country/continent has suffered nearly as much due to the ill-advised introduction of non-native species as Australia. The culling can get repulsive, but it must be done.
Nath, I never thought of foxes as a danger to lambs, but surely they must be. Coyotes are a different story -- as are uncontrolled pet dogs. It gets emotional real fast when a farmer or rancher kills somebody's cocker spaniel while it is ripping open the stomach of pregnant ewes. I saw the aftermath of this early one morning many years ago in Oregon. Eight ewes. Hard scene to forget.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:32 pm Bruce, I believe no country/continent has suffered nearly as much due to the ill-advised introduction of non-native species as Australia. The culling can get repulsive, but it must be done.
Nath, I never thought of foxes as a danger to lambs, but surely they must be. Coyotes are a different story -- as are uncontrolled pet dogs. It gets emotional real fast when a farmer or rancher kills somebody's cocker spaniel while it is ripping open the stomach of pregnant ewes. I saw the aftermath of this early one morning many years ago in Oregon. Eight ewes. Hard scene to forget.
👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!