Steak Grilling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Steak Grilling

Post by 4t5 »

I’ve taken to rubbing with olive oil and applying Goya Adobo, how do you season you’re grilled steak?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Steak Grilling

Post by Griff »

Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cajun, thyme & garlic powder. Sometimes add a little rosemary... The key is the cajun seasoning... Same mix whether it's beef, pork, chicken, lamb or ???, if it's grilled, it's at least getting the cajun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Brown sesame oil, Johnny Salt, red pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
I use a cast iron skillet heated to smoking hot with a goodly amount of butter.
Nice quick brown sear and warm but red in the center.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Johnny Salt? never heard of it.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I use Montreal Steak seasoning, hand rubbed on each side, then grilled 4 minutes each side on a medium hot gas grill. They are thick steaks from Costco, browned on the outside, very rare inside.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Mrs Dash lemon pepper blend, a bit of coarse ground sea salt, and a sprinkle of Irish Whisky. Let sit about 15 minutes before grilling. I like mine hot in the center with not a lot of pink left. PillHer likes it brown all the way through. I do not want my steak to go moo when I cut into it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had an aunt that always said ' cut off its horns, wipe it's a☆☆ and throw it on a plate.
However all I do is salt both sides and allow it to sit 15 minutes before it goes on the grill. The salt draws moisture then through osmosis it draws the salt back in seasoning the inside as well as the outside.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some people prefer it rare. Have it your way. Don't tell me how to have mine. Seems as if we should all be allowed to fix it the way we like.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Did someone say "steak"? :D I like hand rubbing it with butter and some Webers Chicago Steak Rub but Kinder also makes some great premium rubs. Get my Finex 10 inch cast iron grill to about 400 degrees with an infrared gun and rotate 90* one time on either side for perfect cross hatching. A side of marinaded and sautéed mushrooms and a meal fit for a king. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Salt and pepper.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Whatever way Mrs. YK does it. Always good. :D
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jeeze, you guys are a terrible influence! I have decided to make my own steak rub using some ingredients that I have been wanting to play around with. I already make a pretty good pork rub that has served me well. This will be for everything else I guess. The dry spices I ordered are:

smoked paprika
ground mustard
Worcestershire Sauce Powder
ground bay leaves
white pepper
lime juice powder
chipotle (smoked jalapeno) chili powder

I'm sure I will add some garlic and onion powder. Maybe some celery powder or celery salt (why use just salt?) or cumin might also fit in. Should be an interesting experiment. I'll report back on a new thread as not to hijack this one. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

What Walt said.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

4t5 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:48 pm Johnny Salt? never heard of it.
A locally made Seasoned Salt...it's readily available on Amazon. I like the No MSG variety.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

A little salt, a little pepper. Cooked over charcoal medium rare. All that other stuff just hides the flavor of the meat. If you have to hide the flavor you aren't using good meat.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

There is something to be said for that. One of the very best beef jerky's I ever had was home made by the Mom of my FFL dealer in Hollister, CA, 20 years ago. She only used salt and pepper. Also my favorite store bought potato chip is only made with sea salt and pepper. However, some other flavors added to the mix can also be quite nice on meat, and it depends what suits your fancy at the time I think. -Tutt

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:10 pm Had an aunt that always said ' cut off its horns, wipe it's a☆☆ and throw it on a plate.
However all I do is salt both sides and allow it to sit 15 minutes before it goes on the grill. The salt draws moisture then through osmosis it draws the salt back in seasoning the inside as well as the outside.
I like the flavour of steak so I too use this method..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Tutt, I had not heard of powdered Worcestershire sauce -- or lime juice. I'll be dipped.
Blaine, didn't the Johnny's brand get started at the old "Johnny's on the Dock" seafood joint near the Port of Tacoma? I've used it all my life.
My go-to for steak -- and I really just prefer tenderloin -- is equal parts granulated garlic, coarse pepper and Kosher salt rubbed in and let it come close to room temperature. Then I sear for two minutes per side in hot butter -- don't move it! -- then pan-finished in a 400-degree oven until the internal temp reaches about 120. Then pull her, tent her in foil and let rest for five minutes. I need to figure this out on my Traeger in order to throw some good smoke on it.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Grill or smoke, I'm getting ready to bust out old smoky here! :D

Mainehunter
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oh, man, a big old offset pit. You are doing it correctly sir!
But I have to ask: Is it that warm and sunny in Maine right now? :lol:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:48 am Oh, man, a big old offset pit. You are doing it correctly sir!
But I have to ask: Is it that warm and sunny in Maine right now? :lol:
Well, it's sunny and breezy hitting around 48 degrees. BUT, the weather wizards are saying we maybe topping close to 70 degrees by middle of next week and that's kind of unusual in these parts. Just yesterday we got snow up north to freezing drizzle around here.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

piller wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:00 pm Mrs Dash lemon pepper blend, a bit of coarse ground sea salt, and a sprinkle of Irish Whisky. Let sit about 15 minutes before grilling. I like mine hot in the center with not a lot of pink left. PillHer likes it brown all the way through. I do not want my steak to go moo when I cut into it.
You don’t actually put the Irish Whiskey on the meat do you? Seems that drinking it would be much better!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've taken to doing the reverse sear process these days to create a steak that has a nice outer crust but is perfectly medium rare all throughout. Time consuming, but worth it for thick ribeyes or fillets.

I start by applying as good dose of coarse kosher salt to both sides of the steaks the day before and pop them on a rack back in the refrigerator. The next day the salt on the surface will be gone and fully penetrated into the meat from both sides. I pull them from the refrigerator and leave them on the rack, which is just a 1/4 sheet pan with a wire cooling insert, and I put a Meater+ probe 1/2 way into the meat to place the tip at about the center. The steaks then go into a 200 degree oven and I set the probe to alert at 133 degrees. The probe has a temp sensor on the other end as well to keep track of the oven temp and help estimate the finish time. This temp sensor can also help get the oven to the right temp as the controls on residential ovens are usually off by significant margins. The cook will take at least 90 minutes on a thick fillet. The low oven temp means a low temperature gradient throughout the meat which results in an even cook from just inside the surface all the way to the center. Once they reach temp, I get an alert on my phone and I pull them out and remove the temp probe. I just use one probe typically unless I have steaks that are vastly different thicknesses. These then go into a hot (550 on an IR thermometer) cast iron pan on the stove for about 75 to 90 seconds on each side to create the crust. Then I pull them and rest them for 5 minutes or so.

The low temperature gradient causes the moisture to remain in the meat ... there's maybe one or two drips in the pan after they're pulled from the oven, sometimes nothing at all.

Yeah, it's a slow process. But it's the best I've found so far. You can, of course, apply seasoning rubs before they go into the oven which will then get toasted during the crusting phase.

The process is perhaps harder to pull off on some cuts ... Hanger steak for example. I still typically just grill those but I do pre-salt the day before which seems to be key to enhancing the flavor throughout.

I'm still trying to talk my wife into a Traeger so I can do this method while adding a thick smoke layer. No movement so far. :)
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

When I have steak, which isn't often, my go to is olive oil spread on with kosher salt and black pepper, very rarely a light sprinkle of garlic powder, that's it.
grilled or a hot skillet to just short of medium....,Hot pink in the center.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rimfire, I think some of the theory behind the reverse sear -- the gradual, low-temperature cook throughout the interior of the steak -- is part of what attracts some folks to use the sous vide method. I haven't gone in that direction for the simple reason that my kitchen is cluttered enough ...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:01 am
piller wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:00 pm Mrs Dash lemon pepper blend, a bit of coarse ground sea salt, and a sprinkle of Irish Whisky. Let sit about 15 minutes before grilling. I like mine hot in the center with not a lot of pink left. PillHer likes it brown all the way through. I do not want my steak to go moo when I cut into it.
You don’t actually put the Irish Whiskey on the meat do you? Seems that drinking it would be much better!
Lots of things which go well with a steak will enhance the flavor when allowed to soak in for a few hours before grilling. I drink Tullamore Dew, and use about a tablespoonful of it per 6 ounces of steak.
D. Brian Casady
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:44 am Rimfire, I think some of the theory behind the reverse sear -- the gradual, low-temperature cook throughout the interior of the steak -- is part of what attracts some folks to use the sous vide method. I haven't gone in that direction for the simple reason that my kitchen is cluttered enough ...
Absolutely. I have a friend that uses the sous vide method but he runs his water at about 145. It takes him hours to get the steaks to temp. I can sacrifice a little of the gradient for a shorter cook.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Geez fellas!

I’m on a diet here! :lol:

Kidding of course. And as an aside, steak itself is not bad for the waistline anyway as long as you watch the portion size. It’s the traditional side dishes that get you.

Potatoes of all sorts, macaroni and cheese, vegetables sautéed in butter, breads - oh my
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Garlic salt.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

+2 on the side of mushrooms!
Rumble.com/ hickock45
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't know anything as I have only been a meat cutter for 50 years......Get a good well marbled Choice piece of meat, it don't have to be "prime", angus or anything, I use Montreal steak seasoning on mine, let it set on a plate for an hour to get warm . throw it on a charcoal fire till they are medium rare and go for it.
Every Thanksgiving My BIL writes a blank check...last year we did a 8lb standing rib on the grill . As good as Anything I have ever had....but to each His Own.....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm, lots of overthinking on a simple task.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Main requirement for my steak is a plate and a sharp knife. If it's good quality meat, it doesn't need much more for me.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mr. 45 Colt, that standing rib sounds wonderful!