Cody Winchester gun show

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Cody Winchester gun show

Post by Malamute »

Was able to do a quick scout of the show yesterday, saw Mike Hunters table (or at least the table of the guy he usually sets up with)set up, but didn't see Mike yet. I did see a few things that looked like fair deals. A Winchester 94 carbine from 1947, it had been set up with sling swivels, but was otherwise original, and in about 85+% condition. Had the late tang markings "Winchester, Trade Mark, Made in USA" in 3 lines. It was priced at a hair under $500. There was also a Browning 92 in 44 cal that had been fitted with a Marbles tang sight, otherwise original, for $495.

I'm heading back again today. Will spend more time goofing off and looking for sights etc. You guys try to keep the gas poured on the controversial topics while I'm in town.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Re: Cody Winchester gun show

Post by Hobie »

Bill,

You'll have to give us a full report. Want to hear all about it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The show was a bit slow.

Lots of very nice old guns, many with wildy optimistic prices, and some decent deals. Saw a high grade Browning 71 carbine, it had been shot, but looked like 98%, it was about $1100. There was also a late production Winchester 1886 XL rifle in high grade, also lightly used, for about $1400. Very nice gun, blued, engraved (or etched? I didnt look closely) with gold highlights.

There was a Browning 1886 carbine that had been drilled for a sling stud in the buttstock, and a band on the mag tube, it was $1000, same guy had a Browning 1886 rifle that had a receiver sight mounted (Williams) otherwise original, for $1400. Wish I had loose money laying around, I'd like to have a spare carbine. Colt 3rd gen SAA's can be had for $1300 NIB generally. Some day,........ :D

I secured an early steel Lyman 66 reciever sight for $25. It has the zero plate in range reference (50 yards, 100 yds, 150 yds, 200 yds)rather than a scale. Not sure what it will live on yet. Also procured some replacement Winchester screws to replace some dinged up in the distant past.
There was an interesting Marlin 1895 (the real old 1895 made in 1895 on, not the 336 action version made today) it was a carbine. First one I recall seeing. They snuck a few more old Marlins in as well. Dang tricky Marlin guys.

I don't think Mike Hunter came to this show, he may come to the next one? There's another Winchester show next weekend.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have watched the prices on REAL '95 Marlins climb steadily in the past few years, especially the SRCs. A nice one in a relatively common caliber will set you back 4 figures, with a rarer gun like 45-90 commanding $$$$$ numbers. Marlin was ahead of the times and manufactured all Model 1895s with Special Smokeless Steel barrels, regardless of caliber. I am considering procuring a run of 1895s while the gettin' is good. Decent 1886 Winchesters have risen to the point of me forgetting about them and putting my money where it's better spent.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

What!!! No Clark Jubilee, No mule days...Yeah thats what you need is a mule, better yet two mules. :D

Hartman
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hello Hartman, did you make either of those distinguished events? A report on the Jubilee or Mule days would get of the guys attention. :mrgreen:

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Just an observation about Model 1895 Marlins... I've only had one. I bought it through the mail in 1965 (Shotgun News ad) from a gentleman in Selma, Alabama. It was a takedown rifle in .38-56, with a 32" octagon barrel and full magazine! The price? $65.00 shipped... The pre-GCA '68 times were really fine.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jorgy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jorgy »

Who had the 1895 Marlin carbine? Leroy Merz? He has a couple now but way overpriced.
You could probably easily sell your 38-56 for $6500.00 now without any trouble!!
Wow! What a profit! My last count showed 12 1895 Marlins of 3 are deluxes. They will
also be the last ones I sell. They are keepers & darned good shooters too. However
the 45-70's & the 45-90's tend to kick a little but I don't mind that.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't know who had it, I noticed several 1895's (not my main interest....), but this one caught my eye, as it had decent color case hardening on the receiver. I just glanced at the tag as I was walking by, don't recall the price either,.....

Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Nope

Didn't make it to the Cody show this year, taking the kids to Disney this summer (hopefully)....

Big mistake not going, really miss not being there, lots of great guns and really great folks. John Madl is the guy I normally set up with, most folks have been dropping work off with him (like I need any more =). John and his lovely wife will be comming down here for a few days after Cody.

Mike Hunter