Hooray! My son came to the range with me today!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Hooray! My son came to the range with me today!

Post by jdad »

It's been 2 years and I never thought he would want to ever pick up a firearm again. I prodded/nudged him today, to join me, since mom decided to go into the office for a few hours. He agreed, so I let him pick out what he wanted to shoot. He grabbed an early 39A, pre-war Win 63, and Win 61. Great choices! I asked if he wanted to shoot any handguns and he said that they really didn't interest him.

We go to my club's indoor rimfire range loaded with targets and 1000 rounds. (just to be safe. :lol:) He shoots several full mag tube out of every rifle, then decides that the 61 pump was his favorite. 320 rounds later he says that he's hungry, so we pack up. He admitted that he had fun! 8) 14 years old and he enjoyed spending time with his old man. Outstanding!

He actually shot his best 10 shot group with the 63 (photo). The 39A was just a little too bulky for him still. I hope the seed has been replanted.

BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

Did something happen that turned him off, or was it just Those Teenage Years ...........
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

the word OUTSTANDING, yep, SHOUTING :D comes to mind. congrats.
nice shooting, too.

Regards,
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Outstanding! A man after my own heart! "he said that they really didn't interest him. " I'm sort of a rifle guy myself! :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Blaine,
Teenage years has played a part, but he got burned out doing NRA smallbore. It was even harder because he is left eye dominant and right handed.

He's real recoil and noise sensitive, even with plugs and muffs, so centerfire stuff scared him. The only centerfire that he has ever liked to shoot was my RPK....long gone now. Put a semi auto, "spray and pray", Soviet battle rifle into the hands of any testosterone laden youth, with a full banana mag, and you will always get smiles. :lol:

The other BIG factor was the introduction (my fault) of video games. :cry:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

mighty fancy shooting and guns
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats jdad! I hope this becomes a frequent event for you and your son!!! :D

My son (9) is also into video games - but we often play one another in what I would call "mild shooter" games, like "Star Wars Battlefront" or "Ratchet & Clank" (nothing with too much blood). He often whips my butt!!! :shock: But give him a choice between the video games the real shooting, and he will jump at the latter every time. We were supposed to go today, but ended up working all day on his Cub Scout stuff. To me, as long as it was time with him, it was almost as good as taking him shooting!

I am going to have to get me one of those 63's... :wink:
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Ysabel,
Just wait until your son wants a Wii! I need say no more. 8)

If you want a 63 just make sure you get a Winchester, even a shooter like mine, instead of the Taurus copy. I have read too many reports of mechanical frustration and accuracy problems, from Taurus owners. The old "you get what you pay for" does apply.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jdad wrote:Ysabel,
Just wait until your son wants a Wii! I need say no more. 8)

If you want a 63 just make sure you get a Winchester, even a shooter like mine, instead of the Taurus copy. I have read too many reports of mechanical frustration and accuracy problems, from Taurus owners. The old "you get what you pay for" does apply.
jdad - I know. I am fearing those teenage years. I just hope my son is like I was (so far, so good). I would rather spend time with my Dad than anything else. Ended up being a good thing, as he died when I was 16. I sure do miss him...

Thanks for the advice on the 63. I had been considering a Taurus. I've had good luck with the couple I have, but given your advice, I'll look for a "shooter" (which is what it would be) Winchester! Just need to add it to the never-ending, always-growing list!!! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent! Great target & rifles. Just being there is more important to him than he realizes yet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I didn't get real heavily interested in shooting sports until a couple years ago(21), so he may come back in to it in time.

Good luck with it. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

jdad wrote:Blaine,
Teenage years has played a part, but he got burned out doing NRA smallbore. It was even harder because he is left eye dominant and right handed.

jdad, I don't know where you live, but if you can find a place to hang 'fun targets" instead of bullseye type shooting, a lot of kids react to that much better than merely stacking one bullet on top of another through a boring bullseye. Balloons at 25 or 50 yards, empty shotshells from 5 yards on out, tin cans, stationary clay targets or fragments there of - anything that gives a reaction works great with most kids. It gives optical and maybe audio (depending on target) feedback - much like a video game. Water bottles filled up make good targets for centerfire. It's hard to find a kid who'll say no to splashing water all over the place. :-) Of course, some places don't allow fun targets and that really is detrimental to the sport since kids don't care much for mere paper punching as a rule. Shucks, my dad learned out back of the house as a kid, shooting at empty 22 shells. He was a crack shot 'til he passed on a few years back. My own time with a pellet rifle, pebbles and other targets of opportunity have stood me in good stead over the years as well.

Anyway, I too rejoice with you. My older son is also "cross dominant" but had picked up shooting left handed quite well - even to the point of shooting bolt action rifles left handed by reaching up and over to work the action.

Good shooting, and God bless.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

AmBraCol,

Here's where we shoot. 10 min. from the house. www.tcgc.org

"Smallbore" became too much like work, to him. "Fun" shooting, even at paper, is a different ballgame. Cycling a pump or lever is a whole lot more fun than focusing on all those things necessary to hit that tiny "X" ring.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

jdad wrote:AmBraCol,

Here's where we shoot. 10 min. from the house. www.tcgc.org

"Smallbore" became too much like work, to him. "Fun" shooting, even at paper, is a different ballgame. Cycling a pump or lever is a whole lot more fun than focusing on all those things necessary to hit that tiny "X" ring.
Check out http://www.targetz.com for some downloadable, printable fun targets. Anything to get the kids out and shooting is a good thing. :-) That looks like a mighty nifty shooting complex.

Well, after glancing at the rules, perhaps they'd not allow targets such as those I mentioned.
Only TCGC-authorized targets and target holders may be used on all ranges. Targets and distances not specified in the individual range rules must be approved by the TCGC Board. Target holders are range-specific and must not be used on any other ranges.
Anyway, it's great to hear the young lad's out with his dad to the range again. :-)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

Those teenage years are frustrating...for both parents and teens. Going through this for the third time. But this time my fourteen year old is really into shooting... his preferred rifle right now is a 7.5 Swiss K31. I thought it might be too much rifle but he does well with it and plans on taking his deer this year with it. He is cross dominate - left eye / right handed but so am I. I have really adopted and actually prefer shooting right handed style guns (AR15 for work) but 90% of my personal guns are levers so it doesn't make that much of a difference in hunting guns. Once your son adopts his own manual of arms mastering right handed guns he won't have any problems.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't tell you how good this post made me feel. I wish my son was interested. Fortunately, the son-in-law is a hunter and unaware collector (he's amassing a collection and doesn't admit it, yet) and my daughter is tolerant of his interests. He's a great dad so I know the grandson AND granddaughter will be exposed to shooting as well. You are a blessed man and I'm glad you know it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson