Humorous Skeeter story

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Humorous Skeeter story

Post by Walt »

Been reading a few Skeeter stories again. He injected many of his stories with humor but I think this is one of his best.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The_Mama_Mia_Mishap.htm
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Humorous Skeeter story

Post by piller »

That was good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That started my day with laughter, thanks for posting..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Don't ask me about getting my truck stuck in my own backyard, because I will deny it happened. :lol:
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Bill, tell me that FICTIONAL story about the stuck truck. Please?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

1894:
I can’t bring myself to do it, but let it be known I have a pretty small back yard, and a 4X2 Ram 1500 that could use fresh feet.
And it was not all that long before this happened, that I got stuck on Fisher County Farm Road 260 just a quarter mile short of my goal: what was left of Swedonia, Texas, where my grandmother was born in 1893.
Keep learning the hard way that one Texas thunderstorm means 3 inches of grease for several days thereafter ...

samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

Now that I've read it, I recall that this story inspired me to put together an all-inclusive camp box that I could just grab & go when the mood struck. Although I didn't experience all of Skeeter's mishaps in one trip, I think that I covered most of them in serial fashion - not that I set out to do so.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That’s a good one!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Bill, with only a quarter mile to go, did you just get out and hoof the rest of the way? I feel for you, NOBODY likes to admit that they got stuck in mud, not even me!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have been an intrepid Jeeper since 1982. I’m here to boast I have never been stuck.

Now I might have had times of extremely slow movement but never have I been stuck.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Skeeter......I have him to thank for my passion for Colts and the 44 Spl......Elmer was there too but Skeeter was the main person for my addiction...and ....he got me at the right time, in my twenties when these guns were still around...although limited, most people just didn't know what they were.....and then I swooped em up into the teflon coated giant funnel in the sky that drops em off at my doorstep, into a bundle of soft blankets that also protected the original boxes they came in...

Skeeter also used to have stories about him and Jug Johnson, another fictional antagonist who most likely represented someone in Skeeters life......he also used to bust down on Bill Jordan with lots of cool stories...

My influencers for the single action Colt and the 44 Spl are all gone now, except for another great gun writer, John Taffin. Good guy...even our own Jim Taylor influenced me a lot in the early days of the internet. Jims stories of his dad are very interesting, back in the day when single action Colts in good condition could be had for $30.

Good ole Skeeter...they don't make em like that anymore. His writings can be read over and over.......and over....----006
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol: loved that 👍🏻😁
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Skeeter had a good story about early 44 mag (4 inch) use in a shed. Deafening himself scaring an illegal if I remember. Went back to the Special.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can imagine. I have heard pistols go off, as we all have, and inside a shed it would be like being hit in the head with a baseball bat made of sound.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great story. Like Sixgun said, Skeeter was a classic...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

This one and the Tap Ramsey story are my favorites.
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

What was the Tap Ramsey story? I don't recall that one.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

samsi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:38 pm What was the Tap Ramsey story? I don't recall that one.
One of the Me and Joe stories. Tap was a friend of Joe’s grandpa and wore a black hat, my understanding out of the ordinary at the time. He also had a 44 Special and a Remington 410 cane gun
samsi
Levergunner 2.0

Post by samsi »

BobM wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:40 pm
samsi wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:38 pm What was the Tap Ramsey story? I don't recall that one.
One of the Me and Joe stories. Tap was a friend of Joe’s grandpa and wore a black hat, my understanding out of the ordinary at the time. He also had a 44 Special and a Remington 410 cane gun
Found it, thanks - Me and Joe and the Man in Black. I didn't remember that it was a 4" Triple Lock, and I also wonder how common those Remington cane guns are?

I was always more partial to Skeeter's tales of adult shenanigans, but in re-reading this one last night I realized that he was pretty good at remembering how young boys think and getting it on paper.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

samsi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:23 pm
BobM wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:40 pm
Found it, thanks - Me and Joe and the Man in Black. I didn't remember that it was a 4" Triple Lock, and I also wonder how common those Remington cane guns are?

I was always more partial to Skeeter's tales of adult shenanigans, but in re-reading this one last night I realized that he was pretty good at remembering how young boys think and getting it on paper.

I’ve seen a Remington cane gun in a museum but otherwise I also don’t know how common they are.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It seems he remembered how kids think.
D. Brian Casady