Looking at a pup.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Looking at a pup.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

When I was a young man I was rarely without a rat terrier. A most useful dog to chase squirrels and trail a wounded deer. I loved every one of them and hated to lose them. Snakes are pretty hard on them.

Here’s a little male that isn’t ready to be weaned just yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Looking at a pup.

Post by .45colt »

I related here before about a day we made the two hour trip to Pittsburg PA to visit some extended family of My Wife's. I don't do well at family gatherings and soon found Myself out in the big backyard. they had a Dalmatian a big cat and a Rat Terrier. there was a ball lying in the grass and I booted it down the yard. The Terrier was on it like a flash and in the next hour put on a show I never saw before. that Dog was the smartest I ever saw and I hated to leave that day. We later learned when they moved some time later they gave it away... :( ... I hope You can get that pup Scott. Good Luck.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Probably early February
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

8)

It was only later in life that I really realized how awesome dogs are as not only guard animals but companion animals. They're pretty much just fun to be around.

One of the big advantages versus wives is that if you do lock them in the trunk of your car, when you finally let the woman out she's going to be really mad at you, versus when you let the dog out it'll act glad to see you.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I think I recall that there was a shot the vet could give that greatly increased a dogs survivability when bit by a snake ! That is coming from a old old brain. Maybe worth looking into, hope I am right for the dogs sake :D
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm a Labrador fanatic! It started when I was a kid, we vacationed on a lake in Maine and every time I was out on the dock fishing the neighbors black lab was right there with me. Being 6 or 7 I still fished with a bobber, every cast that dog would jump off the dock and retrieve the bobber. Let's say Dad got fed up with having to untangle my fishing line and made me start fishing without one!
I had a Jack Russell, 14 years of laughs & fun. He would hunt anything and everything, all day everyday. Killed 3 skunks and never got sprayed! I miss him still... Gotta get another someday.

Hope you get him and the house breaking goes fast & easy!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My mother in law use to breed Jack Russells and we often took one or two when hunting rabbits on the farm, one little bitch went down what we thought was a fox hole only to come face to face with a badger we were really worried for the terrier but she would not give up until we got hold of her tail and yanked her out, my brother in law used my Winchester 9422M to despatch the Badger.
I have great respect and love for Terriers probably the most useful dogs on the planet but they can cause a lot of trouble and expense for their owners given half a chance :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That just makes my day!

My Rat Terrier is one of the best dogs I've ever had. I tell people he's my fifteen pound, Evil Genius. Amazingly smart and never backs down, no matter what size animal. When we had our Dane, the squirrels never had a chance. Lucy would break off from the chase and Jackson would drive them right to her. I wish I'd gotten a picture of Jackson hanging from the squirrel in Lucy's mouth! Little bugger never gives up.

One of the best descriptions of Rat Terriers I've seen!

jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, I hope lots of posted photos follow once you get your little one home!
I sort of lean spaniel, but all the terriers I have been around have impressed me. Cousin keeps Wheatons. I've thought about an Irish. Jack Russells are frighteningly smart, but the one Dad had was stuck in fifth gear ... :lol:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Back during the national lock down in "2020 - the longest decade in history", we got a group of folks started meeting at a local park, which is now just outside our front door. One of the few reasons one could leave the house without being hassled too much by the authorities was to walk a dog, and we had two. So I'd take one and my wife the other and we'd perambulate over to the park, just a half block from where we lived at the time. We'd hang out "social distancing" while the canines socialized and took care of business. We've been meeting ever since and the group has grown.

We've got all kinds of canines in the group, but the ones that show terrier/feist type heritage are a riot. When the time comes for our current bulldog/pitbull mix and the autistic mongrel to depart, I'd be very tempted to pick up a terrier. A switch to a smaller breed makes sense as we age. Time will tell.

That little guy is cute. I'm sure he'll have fun training you. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We had a terrier that my sister gave us as a puppy from a litter her dog had back in the early 1970's. She was one of the best dogs we ever owned, and lived over 17 yrs.! Not sure how much over because some dirty rat stole her at that age, and we never saw her again! I'm sure the thief thought she was much younger as she was still in great shape and showed no sign of her age. I still miss that little gal.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have 2 terriers. The tri-color is a male. He jumps the 6 foot privacy fence anytime he feels like it. When he is finished running around through the neighborhood, he comes home and rings the doorbell. His name is Mycroft. The red one is his mother. Colter. She digs out occasionally. She used to climb the 6 foot chain link gate until I wove a bunch of wire through it and made the openings too small for her paws. She can outrun Mycroft. He is a bit bigger. Both love to come inside and sleep, but they are way too active to stay inside all day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I got my first rat terrier when I was in kindergarten. He died when I was graduating high school. He was a cat killing son of a gun and had his ears mangled from time to time. But a better companion I couldn’t ask for. He kept up with the horse, rode with me in the truck, always ready to go.

And when I had a gun in my hand, he got really excited!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Definitely sounds like a good one!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My first Brit, Mollie, was gun crazy too. Sometimes I would catch her asleep on the couch in the living room and would tiptoe to a back bedroom and rack the slide on my old Model 12. She'd come skidding around the corners in a dead run ... :lol:
Thank you, Lord God, for dogs and great dog memories. I just wish You would have made 'em last a little longer.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm My first Brit, Mollie, was gun crazy too. Sometimes I would catch her asleep on the couch in the living room and would tiptoe to a back bedroom and rack the slide on my old Model 12. She'd come skidding around the corners in a dead run ... :lol:
Thank you, Lord God, for dogs and great dog memories. I just wish You would have made 'em last a little longer.
Amen Brother!

Gun crazy that MY first Lab. Years ago we had a feral cat problem I happened to see one sulking through the yard so I grabbed my 870 and I yanked open the front door, all 96lbs of Lady went by me knocking 3 johovahas witness down the steps. I stood there dumbfounded and I sputtered apologies as they got back in the car and left. Lady had the cat treed and I went about my business!

Oh and Parker has seen the reproduction vet for pre screening, passed with flying colors so now we wait for her to come into season!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This is the poppa. Just a farm dog
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

6DF2EE52-9FA6-4E08-B214-1A7361B4459F.jpeg
Apollo isn’t very interested in squirrels. He’ll chase rabbits but he gets really wound up when he sees a groundhog.