Any Range Day is Better Than Work

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Any Range Day is Better Than Work

Post by Griff »

Except when setting up is like work! Five rifles, 5 different loads, 3 cartridges, a chronograph, spotting scope, and something in my eye that made it tear and refuse to focus! Anyway, the agenda consisted of chronographing a .32-40, with a 170 grain lead FN, 170 grain Speer JFN, & "170 grain Hornady JFN. sound like the Hornady & Speer are darned near the same bullet? You'd be wrong. Very different ogive & meplat. The Speer is quite a bit closer to a spire point, with probably a 1/3 less meplat than the Hornady. All 3 loads were loaded with 15 grains of AA 5744, the lead developed an ave fps of 1559fps; the Speer, 1411; and the Hornady, an ave of 1498, by reason of having one round that jumped to 1575 fps, whereas the other four only ave'd, 1479 fps. The Speer loading had the best average deviation, @ 13.6. The lead bullet was @ 21.4 while the Hornady was 31.6. I loaded the lead bullets last Friday, and the jacketed round yesterday. Not every round was weighed, just every 5th one, and did have two instances of "bridging" in my old RCBS Uni-Flow powder dispenser. A less granular powder might solve that. But, frankly, I've used 5744 in my .40-90SBN & .45-70 and never had this issue before.
DSCN1443[1].JPG
DSCN1442[1].JPG
1st 5 rounds at the range were out of a 35 year old box of .30-30 Remington Core-Lokts & my 1967 Canadian Centennial that's been converted to a Trapper with a 1980 16" bbl. Apparently, my chronograph didn't like these, as I never got a good reading on these factory rounds. These are the 5 round strung vertically above the bull. I'd call it about 2-½ x 1", not bad for a nearly blind old guy with something in my right eye, causing nothing to focus... Rear sight, front sight, target, everything was a blur... :?

Then came the 3 different loads of the .32-40! Since I was more interested in the numbers, I never looked thru the spotting scope to note where the individual rounds landed or how they grouped. Ended up with 17 rounds on the target, but only recorded times for 15, two rounds just didn't register on the chronograph! But, all that aside, it's definitely fun playing with this rifle. Hoping I can get out this fall and fill a deer tag with it! It's a toss-up as to which is more fun, this 26" barreled .32-40 or it smaller cousin, a Low Wall with a 20" bbl in 45 Colt!. :D

Last up on the day were 3 rifles running my cowboy45special cowboy loads. These are a powder coated 160 grain RFN pushed by 3.4 grains of Clays, with Winchester WLP primers in Starline cases. 1st round out of the 1st rifle was the first every split case I've hand with these little rounds. The 3 rifles were my 1894 Marlin with a "Cowboy" bbl cut to 17"; a Uberti 1873 Border Rifle, 18-½" half round/octagon bbl, and a Uberti 1860 Steel framed Henry, 24-¼" bbl. The Marlin averaged 781.5 fps. The 1873 averaged 729.7 fps and the 1860 averaged 742.0 fps. I had one round run thru the Short Rifle that must've been a little short of powder, as it only attained 472.2 fps. With that not counted the other rounds averaged 781.16 fps. That would have made more sense as the longer bbl on the Henry isn't providing any gain in fps with the fast burning powder. When I load up some of the lead bullets again, I'll have to compare the un-lubed powder coated bullets to the lubed plain lead. These rounds get loaded on an as needed basis. Dumped in an ammo can and basically, last in, first out. While these were all powder-coated bullets, I've run out of them, and when reloaded, it'll be with plain lead, although the same bullet. Since I also shoot the same loads out of my Colt SAAs, I should've brought them with me and seen what velocity is attained thru the 4-¾ bbls. Sounds like a good excuse to visit the range again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Griff on Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Any Range Day is Better Than Work

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that's a serious Range Report...!

And yes, it does look like 'work'...

But it also looks pretty fun..... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Griff,

Did you have to modify the Marlin to feed the Cby. Spls.? Sounds like a neat little carbine.
I keep thinking I need to order a C.S. lifter for my '73, but I don't shoot CAS, so I come back to why? It's shoots the .45 Colts so well, I haven't come up with a reason to get one. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 amGriff,
Did you have to modify the Marlin to feed the Cby. Spls.? Sounds like a neat little carbine.
I keep thinking I need to order a C.S. lifter for my '73, but I don't shoot CAS, so I come back to why? It's shoots the .45 Colts so well, I haven't come up with a reason to get one. :D
jb 8)
Yes, the carrier needs a new notch cut in the top portion to stop the stubby cartridge shy of where the 45 Colt would stop, and the bottom needs to built up a little to speed up the timing of the carrier coming up to feed the cartridge into the chamber. I followed instructions: WidderMAjik. However, it's been awhile since I had the rifle out to play and yesterday it wouldn't feed from the magazine. My cartridge length may be a little long from when I first did the tuning.

As for the conversion carrier in the '73, one good reason is that the 24-¼" Sporting Rifle will hold 19 rounds! Even the 1860 holds 18 in the magazine.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Griff wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:53 pm
2ndovc wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:51 amGriff,
jb 8)
Yes, the carrier needs a new notch cut in the top portion to stop the stubby cartridge shy of where the 45 Colt would stop, and the bottom needs to built up a little to speed up the timing of the carrier coming up to feed the cartridge into the chamber. I followed instructions: WidderMAjik. However, it's been awhile since I had the rifle out to play and yesterday it wouldn't feed from the magazine. My cartridge length may be a little long from when I first did the tuning.

As for the conversion carrier in the '73, one good reason is that the 24-¼" Sporting Rifle will hold 19 rounds! Even the 1860 holds 18 in the magazine.
I have one of the 26" Miroku '73s, but with the short magazine tube. It may add a few more, but probably not enough to make a huge difference. Two of my favorite shooters.

I've been watching for an SRC in .45 Colt or .44 Spl just for fun. If I come across the .45 first, I just might get one of the lifters.

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The carrier is made for the Uberti toggle links. I don't know if it'll work in a Miroku.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Gotcha!

Thanks,

jb 8)