Ruger Poodle Scout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Ruger Poodle Scout

Post by Mainehunter »

As most call it, I couldn't resist of not getting it! Ruger GSR 5.56, 2016 vintage and the previous owner just stashed it in his safe, never fired it. Comes with everything if bought new. $686 out the door. :D I did have one years ago in 308 but the action was sloppy and very rough, not smooth at all so I got rid of it. This action is much smoother and I'm wondering it's because the 308 was in stainless.

Mainehunter

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger Poodle Scout

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Looks practical and it shore is handsome!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice looking rifle!

Will that one take AR style magazines or are you stuck with the proprietary Ruger mags like the .308s?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:50 am Nice looking rifle!

Will that one take AR style magazines or are you stuck with the proprietary Ruger mags like the .308s?

jb 8)
Stuck with their mags. That's one of the biggest complaints I've heard.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have a blued .308 from 2013 (I think). It has been fantastic. A rifle with a ton of utility. Mine had the laminated stock but I bought the synthetic from Ruger. It shaved three quarters of a pound. I have a Leupold Scout in QD rings and a red dot all set up for it. With the factory irons, my bases are well covered. The action on mine is very good. With use it smoothed up even more.
Last edited by OldWin on Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:36 am I have a blued .308 from 2013 (I think). It has been fantastic. A rifle with a ton of utility. Mine had the laminated stock but I bought the synthetic from Ruger. It shaved three quarters of a pound. I have a Leupold Scout in QD rings and a red dot all set up for it. With the factory irons, my bases are well covered. The action on mine I'd very good. With use it smoothed up even more.
OldWin, you're lucky the 308 you have has a smooth action! I've tried to smooth mine out but I was soooo disappointed from the start. Just slopy QC from Ruger in my opinion. I've heard guys swap out the stock, I may do that at some point. I may even pick up a scope rail sight from XS. The deer you shot in the pic. Was that this years?

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

jb 8)
The magazines for the .308 are actually not proprietary. They use the AICS pattern mags. Thus, you can use Ruger, AICS, and Magpul magazines interchangeably.
Mainehunter wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:02 pm
OldWin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:36 am I have a blued .308 from 2013 (I think). It has been fantastic. A rifle with a ton of utility. Mine had the laminated stock but I bought the synthetic from Ruger. It shaved three quarters of a pound. I have a Leupold Scout in QD rings and a red dot all set up for it. With the factory irons, my bases are well covered. The action on mine I'd very good. With use it smoothed up even more.
OldWin, you're lucky the 308 you have has a smooth action! I've tried to smooth mine out but I was soooo disappointed from the start. Just slopy QC from Ruger in my opinion. I've heard guys swap out the stock, I may do that at some point. I may even pick up a scope rail sight from XS. The deer you shot in the pic. Was that this years?

Mainehunter
I would contact Ruger and send your example to them if you still have it. It should not be like that.
The small buck in that particular picture was shot in 2015. It had the distinction of being the first deer taken on a 200 acre lot we just acquired. It was an 8 or 9 point if I recall. Weighed around 170 I think. A couple years ago, I shot one about 50 yards from where this one lays. It was an 8pt., but weighed 216lbs. Not taken with the Ruger Scout, however.
I just noticed your scout rail is removed. Did you Remove it?
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:49 pm

jb 8)
The magazines for the .308 are actually not proprietary. They use the AICS pattern mags. Thus, you can use Ruger, AICS, and Magpul magazines interchangeably.
Mainehunter wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:02 pm

Mainehunter
I would contact Ruger and send your example to them if you still have it. It should not be like that.
The small buck in that particular picture was shot in 2015. It had the distinction of being the first deer taken on a 200 acre lot we just acquired. It was an 8 or 9 point if I recall. Weighed around 170 I think. A couple years ago, I shot one about 50 yards from where this one lays. It was an 8pt., but weighed 216lbs. Not taken with the Ruger Scout, however.
I just noticed your scout rail is removed. Did you Remove it?
I ended up selling it, didn't want to deal with it anymore. I do have a Remington 700 with the 5R stainless steel barrel that's been sitting in my locker for a number of years. I've been wanting to convert it to a scout rifle of some sort for my truck/atv rig.

The rails and flash hider were never put on, still in the box.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When the GSRs were hard to find, I built a scout from a Smith Corona 1903A3. I had some time in the winter and got it finished. It came out well, but the GSR sees more use.
I'm going to pull the factory Ruger flash hider off mine and replace it with an AR10 birdcage.