Family

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Family

Post by JimT »

Seems like we have cold weather heading to Texas! It's been down around 30 at night which is colder than I like it, but the forecast is down in the low teens around Christmas. So yesterday the grandsons and I hauled firewood from the woodpile to the house and filled the wood rack which was empty.
wood-hauling.jpg
While I was San Antonio the other week an old friend dropped by and gave me a gift for the boys. He had seen some of my posts about teaching them to shoot and the rifle I had cut down for them.
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4353.JPG
IMG_4367.JPG
Savage Model 24C "The Campers Companion" ... .22 Long Rifle and 20 ga. shotgun. It's a little big for them right now but they will grow into it. We have been practicing with the BB guns and the single shot .22 rifle using the silent Colibri loads and they are getting to be pretty good. This will be a good step up for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Family

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool! What a great gift and I'm sure they will learn well with such a great teacher!

Can't wait until m=our little granddaughter is old enough to spend some time with me and a pint sized .22 :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Of all the dozens of guns my son has had access to the Savage 24 I gave him in 22LR/410 is his favorite, over all the other powerful accurate, and 'high capacity' ones.

That tells me

1. The Savage is a true classic, and

2. My Son has good taste.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome Jim ! I'm blessed as well to have Grandsons to help Me when needed . I have a Savage .22-.410 given to Me when I was 13. A local shop once had a Savage OU in .357mag over 20ga. like new. wanted $725.00 for it . was gone in a day. never saw another before or since. My #1 got away.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent Jim!

I started Y2K very early (okay, 2 years old). At the time it was just all about safety, drumming that into his head. Also getting him used to wearing "eyes & ears" ALL OF THE TIME (while shooting). It paid off as the not-so-little squirt anymore (who is only 1/2-inch shorter than me and my weight) can outshoot me now most days. :shock:

I love teaching anyone to shoot, but especially youngsters. Knowing we are bringing up that generation to follow in our footsteps just makes you feel good! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I received my 24C for my 15th birthday. It became a constant companion on every outing. Have only one shot of each teaches marksmanship.

I’m headed out for the day Tuesday. Think I’ll take it along.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

When I was 10 years old my friend Les, who lived on the adjoining ranch, was diagnosed with Leukemia. As a reward his folks gave him the Savage 22-over-410 model, which all us boys considered the very finest of the fine. He and I greatly enjoyed his new weapon, and one day found a large skunk occupying our favorite "fort" which was a concavity under a rimrock. Both barrels (maybe not aimed as carefully as they should have been) resulted in a wounded skunk. We didn't want to waste precious shells so finished off said skunk with a machete as we evicted him from the fort.

Les' parents forgave him, of course. Mine were less inclined to leniency. I shore envied Les his leukemia.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

What a great gun for your grandkids! When I was a kid I wanted one of those camper companions so bad I could taste it. I could picture myself like a little mountain man roaming around the cedar swamps with my handy supply of ammunition under the buttplate, 22s for little stuff, shotshells for birds and slugs for the big stuff. I'm sure your grandkids will have a ball!

Eric