.22 WRF in stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

.22 WRF in stock

Post by Oldncrusty »

I snagged 5 boxes of CCI .22 WRF for my Rem. Model 12 today at a local flea market. Just checked online out of curiosity, and lo and behold, CCI is showing it in stock. Thought I'd let folks know.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .22 WRF in stock

Post by Pat C »

Its a decent deal too $17.99 and $99 free shipping.
Stocked up last year. Might buy some more soon.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.22 Mag is way under-rated.
My 9422M is a perfect launcher for them.
You can "almost" feel a little recoil. 8)

My Bad....^^^^ Still true, but certainly not the subject of this post.
:oops: :oops:
Last edited by Blaine on Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

Just to be clear folks This is 22 WRF not .22 WMR. Special run ammo
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

The .22 Winchester Rim Fire is sort of a .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire "short". The cases have the same diameter and bullet weights but the Magnum case is just longer much like a .38 Special and .357 Magnum just for clarities sake. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

.22 WRF has a larger bullet diameter than .22 WMR
WRF .228 VS .224 WMR IIRC the rim is substantially larger on WRF 1/16" or so.I'll pull some and check tomorrow.

CCI ammo is for rifles only according to website.

CCI has all .22 varients in stock some are limit of 10 boxes.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Pat. I don't have any of my shooting books handy as they are packed up, I was just going by what I found on the 'net. I found an article by Chawk Hawks on the history of rimfire cartridges and both are supposed to be .224 at case inside diameter and some say you can shoot the .22 WRF in a gun chambered for .22 WMR but not the other way around. Please let us know what you find out. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Alway thought the magnum was a longer faster WRF as well
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I had time to check some of my stock ,

22 WRF has .300 rim , .245 case diameter, .2285 Bullet

22 WMR. .280 /.285 rim , .235 case diameter .224 Bullet

I'm sure you could probably force a WRF in the chamber of a WMR rifle but why ???

WRF ammo until now has been near impossible to find ,many of us that have vintage Winchesters,Remington s etc. Could not fire these rifles.

Folks ,please don't waste WRF in a magnum rifle .I would love to shoot my 1890 into the future.

I did just insert a WRF into my Marlin bolt rifle it chambered it but the cartridge was near wiggle in fit hardly any clearance . I wouldn't expect it to shoot as good as the WMR in any magnum chambered rifle.
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

For several decades I have used WRFs in my magnum Smith and Wesson handguns (648, 51, and 651) for lower powered and quieter squirrel loads on my rural Missouri wooded acreage. When just woods walking or taking a hike for the mail (LONG walk), I often carry the cylinders with three WMRs and three WRFs in them. I am then ready for the incidental squirrel and, also, for the pond damaging ground hogs that I sometimes encounter on my mail walk. Changing from one load to the other just takes a simple small, cylinder twist. When my 648 had a 2x Leupold scope on it, the point of impact for both loads was stangely the same at 50 yards. Perfect. If I didn't need to be ready for the groundhog, fox, and other 'bigger than squirrel' stuff I would just take a .22 long rifle revolver.

I did this only after measuring the cases and bullets of both loads, reading multiple 'cartridge interchangeablity' charts saying this was OK, and also communicating with the staff at CCI some years ago. My measurement results differ from the previous poster. I know that the original 'blueprints' for these loads had the cases and bullets for the WRF moderately larger than for the WMR, but I don't find that to be true with the modern production stuff that I have in my possession. I just remeasured two WMR loads (Speer Gold Dots: case diameter .237, bullet diameter .223 and Winchester Super X: case .238, bullet .222). The CCI WRF has a case diameter of .239 and a bullet diameter of .223. Bullet diameters appear to be the same and the case diameter is a thousands or two larger for the WRF. The WRF cartridges slip into the chambers of my revolvers and my only mag rifle (Ruger 77/22 mag) just as easily as the WMRs do. The only reason I don't shoot the WRF in the rifle is that the 50 yard point of impact is dramatically different. If I had a scope with a target elevation turrent on it, I might use the WRFs more often in the rifle.

When communicating the CCI it seemed the 'rifle only' warning printed on the boxes was mostly due to their worry about the many very cheap WRF handguns made early in the last century that were often barreled with .22 long rifle diameter barrels (to save money). Many of those barrels are probably now badly rusted and pitted. That combination of factors and the fact that the CCI WRF bullets are actually jacketed (not just copper washed) could result in excessive pressures in these old guns. Not good.

When I discussed my success using the WRFs in my magnum chambered handguns, the CCI folks did not seem the least bit concerned. After all, a lower powered cartridge with the same bullet diameter and cases that easily fit in all my chambers doesn't send up red flags. Will CCI change or clarifly their warnings? Probably not and I don't blame them because the explaination it too long.

Anyway, that is MY experience. Make your OWN decisions.

Hope your weather is as great where you live as it is here this morning!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some of the articles I read date back to 2010 or so, so ammo manufacturers may have changed the specifications slightly. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their expertise on this. I learned something. It might also be possible to reload discharged 22 Mag into 22 WRF using the available sizing dies for 22 Mag and the primer chemicals. You just trim the Mag cases to WRF length, prime, powder charge, seat bullet and crimp with a modified Lee FCD for 22 Hornet. I could help with the load data but Lil'Gun and Alliant 300 MP are probably your best bets for low pressure and good velocity. I have Quick Load and could help with the load data. I will already be handloading for the 22 Mag with the above mentioned items (minus recharging the primers) so won't be much of a stretch for me.

Thanks Guys,

-Tutt

FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I used to shoot .22 WRF in my marlin .22 mag revolver and rifle and it worked fine in both. I probably still have part of a box somewhere.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

It seems there are different experiences and opinions on using WRF in WMR chambers. Like another poster said, the reason to do so would be power and noise moderation, such as for edible small game. Certainly would not be economical unless one has a magnum but not a 22LR.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

44shooter wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:40 am It seems there are different experiences and opinions on using WRF in WMR chambers. Like another poster said, the reason to do so would be power and noise moderation, such as for edible small game. Certainly would not be economical unless one has a magnum but not a 22LR.
I've laid in a supply of CB Longs for that. :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV