Lyman Borescope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Lyman Borescope

Post by JBowen »

Do any of you have any experience with the Lyman Borescope? I was looking at the reviews on Midway and they are mixed. Of the 12 reviews 8 gave 5 stars
and 4 gave 1 star because they couldn't link up to the unit. Nothing in between.

JB
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Lyman Borescope

Post by Shasta »

I have a Lyman Borescope, and I can't recommend it. It's difficult to get a consistent clear view as the camera rod is moved through the bore. The view lens is quite small too. I switched to a much cheaper Teslong borescope that has a ridged 26" camera rod. It uses a USB cable to connect to a computer screen. It gives a near perfect view and can be used with or without a 90* mirror tip that really shows the rifling well. Go with the Teslong!

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks, Shasta. Good information, I seen the Teslong on Midways site, but it did not have any reviews. They are cheaper to boot!

JB
Oldncrusty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Oldncrusty »

Thanks ya'll. Good question and answer.
JRD
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JRD »

I concur with Shasta. Lyman seemed to never be in focus. Only good if your any blurry pictures.
Teslong is much, much better.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for all your replies fellas.

Does anyone have a preference of a ridged or flexible shaft?

JBowen
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

My twin once bought himself a high $$ top-of-the-line Hawkeye bore scope; it works great -- and even better, it's been in my cellar for years.

But more often than not, I turn instead to the cheap <$20 Wifi bore or endoscope I got off of ebay (see 1st image). It works really well and allows you to take a decent image with your PC or phone camera -- even without using a 90-degree mirror.

Tips on use:
1. If you're not down at the end of the bore where you'll get reflected light (see 2nd image -- it took me awhile to get all that BP crud out of the corner of my .58 caliber Zouave rifle), then simply advance a cleaning patch down the bore ahead of the scope -- then pull it back and adjust the brightness level as needed.

2. But caution! "Too rough" of a fabric weave WILL show up as reflections on the bore and scare you at first -- ask me how I know that!? -- but it does allow a decent straight-on image of the lands and grooves (see 3rd image).

Good luck.

Old No7

Wifi Bore Scope.jpg
Zouave Bore 01.jpg
Trapdoor Bore (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

Thanks for the tip Old No. 7! I had not thought of that. I will check out Ebay and see what they have.

JBowen
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You can't look down a bore with it, but I got a dinky little microscope that you clip onto a cell phone that actually takes really high quality images of stuff. A patient uses it to track her skin lesions because she's got high risk for melanoma.

It was $9 I believe, which is really crazy, but there really isn't much to it other than an LED light and some lenses and a clip that holds it on to your phone.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

Don't bother with the Lyman borescope- mine did not last very long before the connector from the scope to the unit broke off. It is not repairable.
Get a Teslong instead- less money and much better resolution.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

bgmkithaca wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:30 am Don't bother with the Lyman borescope- mine did not last very long before the connector from the scope to the unit broke off. It is not repairable.
Get a Teslong instead- less money and much better resolution.
Thanks. That another good word on the Teslong.

Jbowen
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I own two of those endoscopes from Ebay sellers. They are great and cost me $13 EA. back when I got mine 4 yrs. ago. They connect to my laptop or my smart phone, and I downloaded the program off the internet with the site given in the paperwork.
Mine both have 15 ft. cords and will do .22 caliber bores because they are 5mm. One thing I did discover is they have a bright light that floods the bore, and they need something to reflect off of. I push a white patch into the bore with my scope and then back the scope up 2"-3" to get a good clear image. Then just work my way down the bore 2"-3" at a time checking it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JBowen »

I ordered one of the Ebay scopes just like the one in Old No. 7's picture. I ordered the one with the 5.5 MM camera and 16ft. cable. I will find a lot of uses for
it I know. We had one at my former work and it was handy for a lot of things. We used it mostly to inspect the cylinders on the 1500hp Waukesha nat. gas engines. That unit cost $20,000 ! :shock: :shock: