Marlin 1894 with Peep sight update!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 1894 with Peep sight update!

Post by wildmanh »

Hi guys, I bought a Skinner Peep sight for my Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum a few weeks ago and finally got to try it out last Saturday. I installed the Peep sight but kept the front blade stock (bought a replacement I'll be installing soon) just to see how it shot. The rifle shot rather high at 50 yards but perfectly centered verticly. It also seemed to like 158 grain bullets the best. I've shot mostly 125 grain with it and did okay but the 100 rounds of 158 grain .357 mags seems to work best.

Sorry no pictures right now, my photo host is down for upgrades for a few days. I'll try to post then when it comes back online.

My room mate Chad, friends JR, Shanna and Brother inlaw Lee went with me. I brought my Henry H001T, Marlin 1894C, Ruger 10/22, Ruger Single Six Convertible, and Beretta U22 Neos .22 pistol. Everyone had a great time. I spent the most time with my Marlin and Ruger 10/22. In 2006 and 2007 I shot mostly pistols, this year I'm shooting Lever guns a lot and really liking it. A good rifle and pistol are a must have and I know I do. :)

Between Some friends and I we've put at least 400 rounds through the Marlin and I can say that I'm impressed with it. Recoil with the 158 Grain .357 Mags is more then that with the 125 grain .38's but not bad at all. Am saving up for the next shooting trip and think there might be another Marlin Lever gun in my future. Am having one problem/concern with it though, the screws keep loosening up after shooting the gun. Is this normal? Am thinking I need to put some loc-tite on the screws but which type? Thanks,

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin 1894 with Peep sight update!

Post by Slick »

wildmanh wrote: Am thinking I need to put some loc-tite on the screws but which type? Thanks,

Heber
Use the blue on a screw that you might want to remove later. Red is for a permanent hold.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Lets see where this goes
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

Slick wrote:
wildmanh wrote: Am thinking I need to put some loc-tite on the screws but which type? Thanks,

Heber
Use the blue on a screw that you might want to remove later. Red is for a permanent hold.
Thanks Slick, glad I asked which before buying the wrong stuff. :)

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

mescalero1 wrote:Lets see where this goes
It's going shooting with me the next chance I get. :) Despite the occational loose screw, the rifles shoots great. Wish the action was as smooth as my Henry, but thats just a personal thing. LOL. Got to find a Vise so I can change the front sight. I could buy one but then it would cut into my shooting fund. LOL!

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I think a sight pusher could be used but don't know if it is cheaper than a vise. And if you hammer like I do there is an extreme danger of missing the punch and hitting something that will need polishing and rebluing! That's why I build garage shelves, fences and decks with deck screws. I hammer like lightening...never hit the same place twice! :oops:
Cracker
Levergunner

Re: Re:

Post by Cracker »

NonPCnraRN wrote:I think a sight pusher could be used but don't know if it is cheaper than a vise. And if you hammer like I do there is an extreme danger of missing the punch and hitting something that will need polishing and rebluing! That's why I build garage shelves, fences and decks with deck screws. I hammer like lightening...never hit the same place twice! :oops:
I will go one further than that!

I was changing the front sight on my 1894CP to a HiViz and when I was tapping the dovetailed sight out the screw on base popped off! as it turns out there was only 1 thread or less on the screws engauging the threads in the barrel. I ended up making a bottoming bit and drilled the screw down base a couple thousands deeper and then re attached. In the long run I am glad it happed in the shop instead of out in the field while sighting in on a deer or pig and then noticing my front sight and base was missing.
Yes, I know it's cocked, It's got bullets too.

ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.america -- reboot constitution? (Y/N)
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

Was able to install the new front blade with just a mallet and dowel this afternoon. Tapping with light presure it went okay. Now I just need to get out to sight it in again. I have 100 rounds of 158 grain .357 Mag which I'll use for that. Thanks for the help!

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats wildmanh :D !I can't wait for the range report.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

Jaguarundi wrote:Congrats wildmanh :D !I can't wait for the range report.
Thanks Jaguarundi! Not sure when my next range trip will me. I start a new job soon and have no clue of my new schedule yet. The good thing is, after training I'll have more "play"money for guns and ammo. I'll keep everyone updated.

Heber
Heber Ellsworth