Primers ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Primers ....

Post by JimT »

Brownells has Small Rifle Primers https://www.brownells.com/reloading/pri ... 40209.aspx

Mid-South has Large Pistol Primers https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... 000-count)

Natchez has a number of Primers ... Federal Large Pistol Magnum, Federal Small Rifle, CCI #300 Large Pistol, CCI #400 Small Rifle, CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum, CCI #550 Small Pistol Magnum, CCI BR4 Small Rifle
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading/primers.html
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Primers ....

Post by AJMD429 »

...if I only had time to reload now.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm kind of surprised how impacted Alliant powders have been. Not sure if it's import related ... can't get what they need from Bofors, etc. I haven't even been looking at primers but now that you mention it, those are like hens teeth lately. Seems like we go through this every 10 years or so.

Oh wow, over $100 per thousand for primers. That's a shock. I guess I haven't really looked at primers in quite some time.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:33 am Oh wow, over $100 per thousand for primers. That's a shock. I guess I haven't really looked at primers in quite some time.
I just saw STACKS of primers -- rifle, pistol, standard or magnum -- while away on vacation... Priced at $109.00 per 1000... No wonder they had a LARGE stack.

I hope shooters DON'T BUY THEM to help drive the price lower.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

The times, they are a changing ! I've recently read that some powders have gone away. One example is Hodgdon H4350. I'll have to adjust to another 4350 I reckon.
Guessing a few others have disappeared as well.
I need some primers for loading 357 mag, but I reckon I'll wait until the $10/100 count improves a bit.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I have no solid/proven facts about the primer situation. All I know for certain is I have cut back on my shooting. The local gun shop for the last 18 months has been talking about a mythical nation-wide primer release within the next 45-60 days. And this from a place that has very little ammunition to sell and stopped selling primers and powder several years ago. I have never heard anyone there say they are awaiting a component deliver or have plans to sell components in the future. Have a feeling they keep saying that BS to get people to come back and look at the inventory.

My SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess) is twofold:

One--the ammunition manufacturers are putting everything towards commercial ammunition that is in very great demand and no knows if Remington will or will ever resume component sales.

Two--I have never seen any information about what it now costs to produce primers. I realize raw material prices have gone crazy. Seems to me that if the manufacturers have to pay more for the material, it would behoove them to say 3-4 years ago, it cost X dollars to make a thousand primers. It now costs us XXX dollars to produce a thousand and demand has increased 4-5 times to what it was. Same with distributors and the local dealers saying the same.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:13 pm
Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:33 am Oh wow, over $100 per thousand for primers. That's a shock. I guess I haven't really looked at primers in quite some time.
I just saw STACKS of primers -- rifle, pistol, standard or magnum -- while away on vacation... Priced at $109.00 per 1000... No wonder they had a LARGE stack.

I hope shooters DON'T BUY THEM to help drive the price lower.

Old No7
Some are, then trying to scalp them at even higher prices. A couple weeks ago at a local flea market, a guy was set up with primers. I asked how much and he told me $15.00 per 100. I just kept walking.