Silvertip .357 145gr on Deer???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mos
Levergunner

Silvertip .357 145gr on Deer???

Post by mos »

Shot some of these out of my scoped 1894C at the range last weekend and they printed average 5-shot, 100yd groups measuring 1.6875". That’s almost twice as accurate as the 3” groups I get from the load it’s sighted in with now, which is Remington HTP 180gr.

My question is, will the ST hold together on deer out to 125yds or so? I estimate that they’ve got a MV of about 1,865fps based on other’s chrono data, so 3” MPBR is about 165yds with retained velocity of 1,245fps and energy of 499fpe at that range. I don’t really have longer shots than 100-125yds on my property, though.

Still getting my reloading setup going, so using commercial for now.

Anyone have direct experience hunting with this load, even out of a revolver?

mos
Coalsmoke
Levergunner

Re: Silvertip .357 145gr on Deer???

Post by Coalsmoke »

I would think Silver tips would be fine for deer. I fully intend to try them soon. I just came into a Blackhawk and several boxes of them.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I was with my friend Mike when he shot a nice size Whitetail buck with his .357 Marlin. He used 140 gr. factory .. I think Winchester but it's been long enough I am not sure. Whatever it was, it worked just fine, giving more than enough penetration. The deer was down rapidly. Deer are not hard to shoot through. Even their bones are soft comparatively speaking.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I’m absolutely sure they’ll work fine at those velocities. I’ve shot over fifty deer with .357mag handguns and another dozen or so with a couple of different rifles in .357mag and .357max. The ONLY bullets I ever had a problem with were Hornady 158g XTP’s driven beyond 2300 fps. At almost 2400 fps they started coming apart at about 30% before even reaching a paper target. That was with the .357max, not the .357mag. Yes, there is a speed limit on pistol bullets, but well beyond what you’re shooting. FWIW, I’ve never lost a deer hit with the .357mag out of a handgun. My only loss was a deer hit with a 240g Hornady XTP shot from a 44mag. A bad hit is a bad hit and no matter the caliber, you can lose deer. I have shot deer with the Silvertips in my .357mag revolvers, but I found that the Hornady 158g shot as well and were a lot easier to find.
Note: your gun may like the fact that the lighter bullet shoots better simply because of twist rate. If your gun is 1:20 twist (common in rifles) it may be too slow for the 180g bullets.
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

Thanks for the confirmation, gents!

On the twist rate, I think it’s 1:16 so should be okay for heavier bullets.

I need case prep gear, scale, dispenser, case cleaner and dies, then I’m g2g with my reloading setup. Already have sufficient bullets, brass, primers and powder to get started with .38/.357, 9mm, .45, 8x57, .308, .30-06 and 6.5 CM (been acquiring for literally years), and I have a Redding T-7 still boxed.

Definitely will try different bullet weights for the scoped 1894C, as well as its sibling which wears a steel Lyman 66 instead. Family pictures attached below.

I’m just glad that the carbine has proven accuracy potential. TBH, I’m actually thrilled about the groups I got with the Silvertips. I’ll take 1.625” in a sweet little carbine any day!

mos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That was the issue load for the Texas Highway Patrol Troopers for a while and it was my issue load when I was a Deputy. I know what it will do from a four inch revolver and it is impressive.

Instant death on a monkey at 40 yards.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not only a good load, but a good GUN, and a good SHOOTER...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:43 pm .
Not only a good load, but a good GUN, and a good SHOOTER...! 8)
Thanks, man! Appreciate that! :)

mos
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:29 pm That was the issue load for the Texas Highway Patrol Troopers for a while and it was my issue load when I was a Deputy. I know what it will do from a four inch revolver and it is impressive.

Instant death on a monkey at 40 yards.
If that equates to instant death on a deer at 100 from an 18.5” carbine (and I think it does)… I’ll take it!

mos
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I know for a fact that the 135 grain Gold Dot is an absolute deer slayer out of a Marlin 1894, so I would think that a 145-ish would be as well
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Wvfarrier thats interesting to know. Thats the 38 special designed bullet, expands down to 850fps or so. Never tried it at carbine speeds as I thought it would be frangible.
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:45 pm I know for a fact that the 135 grain Gold Dot is an absolute deer slayer out of a Marlin 1894, so I would think that a 145-ish would be as well
I guess my concern was really about bullet construction and whether or not the Silvertip 145 would hold together well in the 1,750 - 1,850fps velocity range (MV and down a bit, basically a 0-50yd deer scenario).

So I don’t think it’s really about bullet weight, is it? More about jacket bonding, etc.

When you shot the GD 135 out of the 1894, did you chronograph it?

mos
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just like in real estate, effectiveness is all about Location, Location, Location.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

That's a pretty good revolver round and I never shot it through a carbine. However, I would not worry about it holding together. I don't think it will make 1750 in a Marlin barrel. It only does about 1250 in a 4 inch revolver.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

mickbr wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:42 am Wvfarrier thats interesting to know. Thats the 38 special designed bullet, expands down to 850fps or so. Never tried it at carbine speeds as I thought it would be frangible.
I load it to 357 mag "light". About half way between 38+p and full magnum, creates a very accurate load with almost no recoil. My wife and kids love it
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Good to know that, wvfarrier. Im with your family on that power level too, does better work than most would think.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Personally, I have contacted the bullet manufacturer about what terminal velocities the bullet was meant for rather than experiment. The people who built the bullet know what it was designed for better than anybody. This information is often already public now but in some unusual circumstances of velocity, calling the company is the best bet IMHO. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

CowboyTutt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:52 pm Personally, I have contacted the bullet manufacturer about what terminal velocities the bullet was meant for rather than experiment. The people who built the bullet know what it was designed for better than anybody. This information is often already public now but in some unusual circumstances of velocity, calling the company is the best bet IMHO. -Tutt
That’s sound advice. A call to Winchester may be in order.

mos
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Go to the source my friend! Go to the source. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, I would feel more comfortable with a Soft Point. However, the reality of all reloading components available right now, you go with what you can find.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I have often said that I could comfortably live the rest of my life with one factory load for the .357. The 158 gr red box Federal American Eagle soft point. It isn't loaded terribly hot but it does the job in rifle and revolver.