Old Man Joe's Story

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Old Man Joe's Story

Post by JimT »

As it was told to me … he began with the following:

I came up the draw through the snow, the horse kicking up little clouds of it into the wind as I approached the cabin. The temperature was around 10 below and I was ready for someplace warm. As I pulled up between the cabin and the barn I could see a shotgun sticking out a window on my right and a rifle on the left. I told myself, “Keep your hands in plain sight. Someone has got us covered.” Then I addressed the house, “I am looking for someplace to get in out of the weather.” What sounded like a kid or a female answered, “You are welcome to use the barn.” the wind almost taking the soft voice away.

I said, “Thank you kindly,” and turned the horse toward the barn. Once inside I pulled my gear off the horse and stabled him, giving him a good rubdown and hay that was in the barn to eat. It was cold in the barn but at least we were out of the wind. Looking around I found a small room in a corner of the barn where there was a stove and a couple bunk-beds, probably for hired hands, so I got a fire going and it sure was nice. Sitting by the warm stove it wasn't long before I was nodding off.

I had started out a couple days before on a cross-country ride, just to see the sights and enjoy the country. I planned on sleeping out and knew that at this altitude the weather could turn off bad pretty fast, so I had cold weather clothing and a heavy sleeping bag. I also packed food and water along with everything else I felt would be needed. I knew it would snow at times. But what I had hoped would not happen was what did. A big drop in the temperatures and high winds. I was following a cleared path through the timber up the mountain, looking for a sheltered spot when I came on the cabin in the clearing. It was quite an unexpected sight but very welcome, especially since there was a nice tight barn. I was grateful to be able to use it.

I am not sure how long I was napping but a noise startled me and I looked up to see a young boy in the doorway pointing a shotgun at me! Behind was a lady pointing a rifle in my direction. I was pretty instantly awake, wide-eyed. The lady looked at me and said, “Who are you and what are you doing here?” I could see she was nervous and the boy looked scared so I began with, “Ma'am I will be happy to answer all your questions but could you please have the boy take his finger off the trigger of that shotgun? I will not move. I just don't want to get shot on accident.” She said, “Jake!” and the boy had his finger off the trigger making me feel a whole lot better. She looked me in the eyes and calmly said, “If anyone gets shot it won't be an accident. Now who are you and what are you doing here?”

“Ma'am,” I began, “My name is Joe.” She looked at me and it was hard to read what she was thinking. It didn't look real encouraging. “Was on a trail ride, just exploring the hills. I am a widower and am retired so sometimes I just roam around the country. Last night I camped on that little lake about 5 or 6 miles down in the valley to the east? I started up the hills early this morning when the storm hit, hoping to find a place out of the wind where I could make camp. I did not know this place was here but your barn sure is a blessing and I sure do thank you for allowing me to put up here.”

“Do you have any ID with you? If so I would like to see it.” I could tell she was suspicious but I wasn't sure of what. “Yes.” I replied and started digging out my drivers license. I noticed her rifle came up a bit when I went to reaching and I said, “Easy! I am just getting my drivers license.” Moving slow and easy I handed it to her, seeing the suspicion in her eyes. I backed up slowly and sat down on the bunk while she took a step back into the doorway and looked at my license. “Do you have any other ID?” she asked. I handed her my wallet and said, “There's credit cards, Medicare ID, VA ID … you are welcome to look at 'em all.” And she did, taking her time to look at each one. Handing my wallet back she said, “You are welcome to use the barn until the storm is over. Then I would prefer you leave.” and turning the boy around they both walked out and left the barn.

Not the most friendly, I thought. But she did let me stay in the barn. Maybe she had reason to be worried about strangers showing up. Something seemed to have her on edge though I had no clue what it was.

In the morning I looked out to see that the snow was still coming down and was getting pretty deep. As I was finishing feeding and watering my horse I heard the barn door open. It was the boy Jake. He was nervous approaching me and spoke in a hesitant manner. “Mom said you would be welcome for breakfast.” Then he quickly turned and went out. That sounded pretty good to me so I washed my face and hands and slicked back my hair, got my coat and hat and made my way to the cabin.

Inside it was warm, a nice fire going in the stove. The furnishings in the cabin were sparse, but clean and comfortable. And the food smelled good. “Thank you for inviting me to breakfast, Ma'am.” I began. She cut me off with a small smile and said, “My name is Claire. I am not used to being called “ma'am” and would prefer Claire. May I call you Joe?” I said I did not mind and thanked her again for shelter in the barn. As she started setting out plates and getting breakfast ready I asked, “Just how did you come to be living up here in the mountains?” I noticed her stiffen a bit and added, “If you don't mind me asking.”

She looked at me quickly and then said, “My son and I were in a difficult situation. It looked like we would be living in my car, and then I remembered this cabin and barn my Dad built some years ago and we packed up and moved in.” I asked her if her Dad lived here and she told me that he used it in the summer when he moved his horses to higher country, out of the heat. He had passed away and, in her words, her life had become crazy enough that she had completely forgotten about it until recently.

She turned away and busied herself with the food and I did not ask for more information, though I sensed there was much more to her story. As I watched her set the table I noticed faint bruises on the backs of her arms and the back of her neck and from that I sorta figured a man must be involved in her decision to move into the mountains.

Breakfast was sure welcomed by me with plenty of eggs, bacon and hot coffee. I tried really hard not to eat more than my share, figuring that they may not have much. The boy Jake was real quiet all the time, looking at me out of the sides of his eyes when he thought I was not watching. I figured he was about 12 but when I asked, Claire said he was 14. Small for his age, I thought.

“Last night you said you were retired,” she began. “What career did you retire from?” I laughed and said, “Well, I ain't sure it was career, but when I was 55 I started working for the Department of Corrections. I was a Correctional Services Officer.” She stared at me for a minute and said, “A prison guard?” “Yes ma'am .. I mean, Claire.” I paused and the continued, “I retired from there the year my wife passed away. Two years ago.”

She looked at me a minute and said, “I'm sorry.” “It's life,” I answered. “We live, we die. Those left behind continue on.” She did not bring it up any further and I was grateful. I hate scratching open fairly raw wounds.

I finished the meal with another cup of coffee, thanked her again and let myself out. The snow had slowed down and as I was going out I saw that her firewood pile was kind of low. There was an ax and a bow saw on the porch so I took them and headed into the trees. The snow was not so deep here and I soon found a deadfall of oak. I worked for a couple hours, cutting and hauling wood until I had a good pile on her porch, out of the weather. I spent more time cutting firewood for the barn and by the time I was done I was tired.

After a refreshing nap I went up to the cabin and knocked on the door. Claire opened it and invited me in, thanking me for cutting the firewood for her. “It was the least I could do after getting a good meal like that.” I said. She stared at me a minute and then invited me for supper. Which I was sure glad to accept. I mean, I can get along on coffee and jerky for a few days, but if I can get good home-cooked meal I am not going to turn it down!

I told her I was going to be leaving early in the morning but that if she didn't mind, I would like to come back in a few days and stay awhile. I had some things I needed to attend to and when they were done I would like to cut her some more firewood and do a couple things around the place.

She looked troubled and said, “I can't pay you.” and I said, “I am not asking for pay. I will do some work around here as pay for you letting me stay.” She thought for a minute and said, “OK, but you will take your meals with us.” which was more than fine with me. When I went outside it looked like the weather was breaking and I figured the morning would be fairly calm. A good time to take a ride.

That evening meal was again a pleasant time and good food, beans and hot dogs. After supper I asked, “Do you two like to read?” and they both said they did. I dug in my bag and pulled out some books and said, “Here ya go. Enjoy them.” One was a Bible. Another was a copy of The Shack. I had included Riders of the Purple Sage and Smoky: The Cowhorse. I said, “These will keep you busy for awhile.” and enjoyed seeing their faces light up. I knew what it was like to be stuck indoors with little or nothing to read and was glad I had put those in my saddlebags. As I went out the door I said, “I will be leaving early in the morning. I will see you in less than a week.” and headed to the barn.

I woke up early before daylight, got ready and fed my horse. Before I saddled him I brushed him and looked him over. He sensed we were going and was anxious to travel. I saddled him and loaded my gear, led him out of the barn. As I got into the saddle in the pre-dawn light I thought I could see someone at the window of the cabin, watching. I lifted an arm in a salute and headed off down the trail.

It was slow going in the snow and I let the horse pick his way. I didn't want him stepping in hole or sliding off into a wash. It got easier the lower on the mountain we went and after we passed the little lake it was fast traveling. By late afternoon both the horse and I were tired so we picked a spot and made camp. After bedding down I lay awake in my sleeping bag for some time, thinking of Claire and her boy. She was young enough to be my grand-daughter and I could see that she had some troubles. I figured I would try to help her and see if we could not help her get out of whatever difficulty she had going.

Daylight I had coffee on the fire and had fed the old horse a bit of grain and sweet feed. He was ready to go. I think he knew where we were heading. He always got good feed there and there were a couple of mares he was friends with. As I went to step in the stirrup he swung his back end around away from me. “Hey!” I said. “What are you doing?” He looked past me and snorted, his ears up. I turned around to see what was boogering him and there, about 50 yards away sat a mountain lion! It's unusual for them to come out in the open like that on a human. Something was wrong. Could be it was starving. Or was sick. It just sat there watching us. My horse did not like it and neither did I. I reached over and slid my 30-30 from the scabbard and jacked a shell into the chamber. Then I let the hammer down to half cock and slowly and carefully got into the saddle and moved away from the cat. The last I saw it, it was still setting there. I patted horse and said, “Man, that was spooky!” and he agreed with me. After riding for awhile and not seeing the cat again I kept the rifle loaded and slid it back into the scabbard where I could grab it easily if I needed it.

During the day as we moved into the lower country it grew warmer and the snow disappeared. By late afternoon we were out of the timber and into ranching country. Now I was forced to ride the dirt roads because the land was fenced. But we were close to where I was hoping to spend the night and the horse picked up his gait, knowing where he was. In less than an hour we were approaching a ranch house that set back against some low hills. As we came in past the corrals a couple horses nickered at us and my old guy picked up his head and answered them.

At the barn my old friend Jackson was waiting. We shook hands when I got down and he said, “The Missus saw you a half mile out and said to tell you that by the time you get your horse taken care of supper will be on.” All I could say was, “Wow! Tell her thank you and that I will be there!”

During the meal Jackson asked me what I was up to. I looked at him for a minute and then said, “You know the ridge trail going north and east up above that little lake?” He nodded he did. “Last week I camped on the lake. I saw the storm coming and decided to go up higher hoping to find a cave or overhang in the rocks where I could ride out the storm. Did you know there is a cabin and a barn up that trail?”

Jackson looked surprised and said, “Why yes! That's old Jess Pearson's place.” He built that when he was running that big horse herd. He would summer his horses up there in the cool country, then bring 'em back down here in the Fall. It's a pretty nice place. I've spent a night or two there when hunting.”

“Did Jess have any family?” I asked.

He looked surprised and his wife said, “Yes. He had a daughter. Her name was Claire. A pretty little girl. But sad. Jess's wife passed away when Claire was, oh, maybe 6 or 7. Why do you ask?”

“I rode up to that cabin when the storm was hitting and there was a lady there. With a young boy of about 14. She said her name was Claire and that her Dad had built the place. Seems she has had a rough time of things and her and her boy have moved in. They let me stay in the barn but asked me to share meals. I decided I wanted to help so I came down to get groceries and supplies for them. I have been cutting firewood for them and it has felt good.”

Jackson and his wife exchanged glances. He cleared his throat and said, “Well … you might oughta know that there has been some trouble around her. When she was younger she got mixed up with a guy by the name of Davis .. I forget his first name. That would be the boys father. But he is no good. He beat her something fierce a couple times. Put her in the hospital. She couldn't get away from him for some reason. He threatened to kill her Dad, I know that for a fact. People that tried to help her had their tires slashed, shots fired through the windows of their homes. They were threatened if they continued to help. He is just bad news.”

I thanked them for supper and for the information and promised to keep my eyes open and my mouth shut. I told them I would leaving for town come first light and would stop by on my way back up the mountain. Jackson stopped me and said, “Take the old pickup. No need to ride your horse into town. Let him rest.”

“Are you sure?” I asked and he said, “Yessir I am!”

The trip to town was uneventful though I picked up some local gossip just by keeping my mouth shut and listening. Dad used to tell me, “Boy, you have one mouth and two ears. Listen twice as much as you talk.” That advice has come in handy over the years, though I will admit it took me awhile to really apply it in my life. One thing I heard was that speculation about Claire and her boy disappearing centered around wondering if her ex had killed them. He apparently was known to have a violent temper and had run-ins with the law since a teenager. Towns-folk knew she had left him and that he was very angry about it. More than once he had expressed the fact that if he couldn't have her, no one else would! I just kept my mouth shut and went about my business. No one there knew me other than that I was a close friend with Jackson, so I gathered my supplies, packed the truck and headed back to the ranch.

When Jackson saw my load he laughed and said, “You wouldn't want to be borrowing my burro would you?” “Now how could you tell that?” I joked with him. “I sure would! I plan on heading out in the morning if you don't mind.”

He said, “Well, you know where everything you need is. We would love to have you stay for a few days but I can see you are anxious to get back.”

I thanked him and his wife and told them I would be back by but I was not sure how soon. I would take care of the burro and and get him back when I could, which was okay by them. That night was a restless one and I was up early, packing the burro and getting all my gear loaded on the horse. Well before dawn I was on the way. The wind was cold and I snugged my coat up around my ears. My horse was ready to go and headed up the mountain like he knew where we were headed. Likely he did.

As we got into the higher elevations we began to get into the snow, not deep thankfully. By nightfall we were at the lake and camped in our old spot, the lean-to I had made on the first trip in as still standing and providing a wind break, though thankfully the wind was not up. I unpacked the burro and the horse, fed them, gathered firewood for the night and soon had a nice blaze going. Through the night I woke up several times and added wood to the fire. I felt kind of creepy at one point and remembered the lion we encountered below here. My pistol was under my coat that I was using for a pillow and it was reassuring to have it at hand. By daylight I was up and had coffee going. I ate some jerky and decided to load up and go. I felt like I just needed to get on the trail.

All day the feeling persisted. Something wasn't right. I was worried about Claire and the boy that perhaps something had happened, but when I rode into the yard that night they both came out laughing, happy to see me. Claire said she thought I might not come back and I reminded her that I had said I would be back. She mumbled something about not being used to people who kept their word. I let it go and started unpacking the burro. As I did the mood turned really happy. I had brought bacon and ham and cheese and staple goods … flour, salt, sugar …. spices and seasonings. There was bread and canned soups and beans and even some snacks. Jake was beaming but he got really excited when I unpacked some books for them. I gave Claire a package of feminine things and she blushed and looked at me. I said “Hey, I was married for near 50 years. It ain't the first time I bought such things.” and she relaxed a little.

Once it was all packed into the cabin and she began to put things away I excused myself. She asked if I wanted something to eat and I said I would get something later. I needed to tend to the burro and my horse first.

I got the burro and horse stabled and fed. I checked my horse over and then banked the fire in the stove and lay down to take a nap. It was comfortable here, quiet with no city noises. I wouldn't mind staying in place like this myself I thought as I drifted off. I don't know how long I was asleep when a sudden jolt knocked my bunk up against the wall violently and someone grabbed me and jerked me up on my feet! I was startled, still coming out of sleep and something slammed me in the face. About then I realized someone was knocking the stuff out of me. Someone pretty durn strong. He was yelling something and pulled me up close to him, hitting me in the face several times as he did so. I could tell he was completely enraged and probably was going to beat me unconscious if not kill me. I pulled the little .357 out of my pocket, stuck it in his belly and pulled the trigger. The concussion was a shock and he backed off a step, his arm pulled back to punch me again. I stuck the gun against his chest and pulled the trigger twice and he fell down, little wisps of smoke rising from his chest. Funny how you remember some of the little things. I fell back on the bed and sat there for some time before my head and face began to hurt. I could see I was bleeding but I couldn't seem to get up.

Seeming off in the distance I heard a scream and wondered where it was coming from. I looked up to see Claire and Jake in the doorway. Claire's mouth was open and later I realized it was her that screamed, but at the time I could not connect it. I don't remember her moving but all of a sudden she was beside me and urging me to stand up. I wondered why. I really felt more like laying down and going to sleep. I thought if I could get some rest maybe my head wouldn't hurt so much. By now my ribs were aching and I was having trouble taking a deep breath. Then suddenly we were in the cabin. It seemed like we got there without walking though now I realize that somehow I did. And Claire was washing my head and face and telling me that she was sorry that it hurt but that she had to. I tried to tell her that I would rather sleep but the words would not come out right. I really wondered why she was crying. And after a while of her washing and bandaging me I must have fallen asleep as I don't remember anything until the next day.

I was suddenly aware that my head hurt and I opened my eyes to dim light. At first I did not know where I was. Looking around I finally realized I was in the cabin, laying on blankets spread on the floor in front of the stove. The dim light was coming in the front windows and later I realized it was the new day dawning. Looking around I had trouble seeing but could tell I was alone in the main room. My ribs hurt on the right side and I could feel something wrapped around me very tightly. My face felt funny … strange .. and I wanted to see what had happened to me. Unsteadily I got to my feet, holding onto a chair for support. After getting my balance I made my way to a mirror by the sink and was startled to see what was staring back at me. My left eye was swollen almost shut. My nose was swollen and bent. My lips were split and swollen and I could tell I had some loose teeth. It also felt like I had broken or severely bruised ribs. There were cuts on my face and the memory of the attack in the barn came flooding back so strong I nearly fell over. I had killed the guy!

I pulled the chair around so I could sit down before I fell down. Sort of a weakness in my legs all of a sudden had surprised me. I sat there and thought through everything, figuring out that the guy who attacked me was Claire's ex. He must have followed me here, though I don't know I did anything that would have indicated I knew Claire.

Now what was I gonna do? There's a body in barn. What do I do about that? Questions and worries started flooding my thoughts and I said to myself, “I need coffee!” I made my way over to the kitchen shelves and got the kettle, filled it with water and put it on the stove. That effort made me sit down and rest again. Man! What happened to my strength? Before the water began to boil I went and dug out the coffee and dumped it in the kettle. Soon it was bubbling away and I let it cook for awhile. When I took it off the stove, settled the grounds and poured a cup I was ready for it. I had started on my second cup when I heard a noise behind me and Claire said, “I would like a cup of that!” We sat, drinking hot coffee for a few minutes. Then she looked at me and said, “You look like hell.” I started to laugh but it hurt so much it brought tears to my eyes. Finally I was able to say, “It will heal up.” “I know. He beat me like that once.” she replied slowly. All I could say was, “Never again.” and she said, “Yes. Thank you.”

We were quiet for awhile and then I spoke the question, “What do we do now?” She looked at me for a minute and said, “I went and wrapped the body in a tarp.” “That's good.” I said. “But what are we gonna do with it?” “We have till you heal up to make up our minds.” she answered.

The next few days passed slowly. Reading, sitting by the fire, I wasn't much help getting firewood in. My ribs so sore I could barely move. Claire and Jake looked after the animals. I looked like I was one big bruise from my head to my waist! We didn't talk about the body in the barn though we were all thinking of it. The afternoon of the third day we heard engines – snowmobiles! Coming our way! Claire got her rifle, Jake his shotgun and I took hold of my rifle. Soon they pulled into the yard and shut down and we could see it was the Sheriff and a couple of his men. Claire left her rifle in the house and stepped out on the porch saying, “Howdy Sheriff. What can I do for you?” He looked around and then said, “We'd like to come in and talk if you don't mind?” She said, “C'mon in.” and stepped back inside. She had Jake put up his shotgun and I leaned my rifle next to the front window, near the door.

The three men came in, removing their coats and gathering around the stove, soaking in some of the warm. They looked like they had been cold for quite some time. Claire poured coffee for each of them and then said to the Sheriff, “You know my boy Jake. This here is Joe.” and then she stepped back. The Sheriff looked at me for a minute and said, “You would be Joe Stemple.” It was not a question. Looking him in the eye I said, “Yessir.” He cleared his throat, took a sip of hot coffee and said, “We came up here because we had a report that Billy, your ex,” and here he looked at Claire, “was threatening to find you and kill you. He made sure most of the town heard it and a friend of yours, Joe, old Jackson, heard it and came and told me where you were. He wanted us to check on you.” He paused for some more coffee and then continued. “When Billy didn't show up to work and no one one in town knew where he was, we figured he may have headed up this way. So we came to check.” He stopped at looked at us.

I stood there for a minute and as Claire started to speak I said, “Just a minute Claire.” and looking at the Sheriff I said, “Yes. He showed up here three days ago. I was sleeping in my bunk in the barn when he grabbed me and started trying to kill me.” The Sheriff sorta smiled and said, “I noticed you had been in a wreck of some kind, the bruises and cuts and all.” “I got a couple busted ribs and my whole body is one big bruise.” I told him. He was quiet for a minute and said, “Where is Billy now.” “I am not sure where he is” I said, “but his body is in the barn.”

The Sheriff let out a big breath and said, “Mind if we set down?” We moved to the table and sat down around it. Claire brought the coffee pot and I could see her hands were shaking. I told her, “Relax. It will be OK.” The Sheriff said, “Would you mind telling me what happened? and I said, “No sir. I don't mind.” And slowly and as accurately as I could I told him what had happened. After I finished he asked Claire a few questions and while she was talking he sent one of his deputies out to the barn to examine the body and take photos. After he was finished with us the Sheriff went out to the barn to see the scene for himself. Once they were done the afternoon was getting late and he asked Claire if they could spend the night. He said he would take Billy's body back to town tomorrow. He did not say what he was going to do with me.

The Sheriff, his two deputies and I took the bunks in the barn. The wood stove kept the room warm and the night was uneventful. In the morning the deputies tied the tarpaulin-wrapped body of Billy on the back of one of the snowmobiles. Before they left the Sheriff said to me, “Joe, the next time you get to town, come see me. There will be a few papers for you to sign.” and I said “Sure thing Sheriff.” Then I added, “It may be awhile.” and he said, “That's fine.”

I hobbled around and did what I could while my injuries healed. Warmer weather was finally setting in, the trees were budding and grass began growing. The season was changing and I knew the season I had living here was coming to an end. It made me sad, for a loved the quiet and peacefulness, though the stain in the floor was a reminder that even in places like this trouble can find you.

At breakfast one morning I asked Claire what she was planning on doing .. what her future looked like. She stared at me for a minute and then said, “I have been thinking about moving to where I can go to School and finish my education.” I told her I thought that was a good idea. We discussed where she would go and how she would live and that was when I found out that she had been thinking of selling her this place to give her money to live on. I said, “But it's your Dad's! Wouldn't you want to keep it in the family?” It was obvious that she would but she did not know how she could make it otherwise. We spoke for a while and I said, “How about me checking on something that may make it possible for you to keep this place and go to School?” and she agreed.

Well, to make a long story short, the next week I traveled down the mountain to Jackson's place and returned the burro to him. Then we sat down and talked for awhile. He had heard a little about what had gone on and was interested. After going over the fight I told him about Claire wanting to go to school and needing money to live on. I asked him, “Do you know anyone who would be interested in leasing her Dad's place to run cattle on during the summer? That could give her an income and keep her from having to sell it.” Jackson's eyes opened up and he said, “Yes! I would love to do that. I have land that borders his and with the two properties, I could take my horses and my cattle up there. There's plenty of grass in the summer, water, and shelter. That would be perfect.”

I told Jackson I needed to go into town and see the Sheriff, but when I came back, if he wanted to he would be more than welcome to ride with me up to see Claire and work out an agreement.

Well, we did just that. It wasn't but a couple weeks till her and Jake were packing and making ready to head out. Jackson had some up with his Jeep and we packed everything in it. As they got ready to leave she started crying and came hugged me. “Thank you for everything Joe. You saved my life. You've helped me get a new life started.” It was kind of embarrassing for I didn't feel I did anything special. And then they were gone. I went to the barn and saddled my horse and said, “Well old guy, are you ready to head down to the home range? Ain't nobody been there in months. Let's go see if it's still standing.”

And without looking back we rode out.

The old man stopped and was quiet for minute. Then he looked at me and said, “I heard from Claire a few weeks ago. They are doing well and that made me happy.” He was quiet for bit longer and then said, “I still dream about the shooting.”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Old Man Joe's Story

Post by gamekeeper »

Great story Jim, don't see too many happy endings these days things usually go from bad to worse.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

What a great story Jim.

And there's more than one good lesson in that. One that stands out is that a little .357 carried on the body can come in mighty handy. Another is that when a man threatens to kill you, you need to pay attention to that threat.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Great read. I'm glad the dogs needed to go out fir 2nd time to I could have another cup of coffee and finish reading.... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have known people such as those in the narrative. Usually the bad ones end up causing a lot of damage, but they answer for it sometime or other.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Awesome read, enjoyed that very much ! Thank you Jim for posting it .
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Nimrod
Levergunner

Post by Nimrod »

Loved it. Real good read!
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy Folks,
Great read, Jim..... Thanks for posting......

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"