Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chairmen of the Politically Incorrect

Post by OldWin »

His dad was the range master and kept the Armory at the national guard over here. He got the barrel there, so my buddy has zero dollars in it. Just like the tens of thousands of rounds of 45acp and 7.62x51 ammo he has. :mrgreen:
I have had that barrel in my hands and told him what it was for. My first clue it was special was that it had no bipod mount, so I knew it was an early one. I told him that some dude with a legal early Winchester BAR with a shot out barrel would pay well for it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

A win for Old Win!

Ummmmm......yeah. I still want the XLW 86 45-70. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well,
You and I are NOT getting any younger, especially me.....prices are way up at the auction houses so don't snooze.....fair amount of stuff is gonna leave here this year.

Has a $700 sight on it.....it's all worth 5...easily....4 for you....so that's really only 3300 for the rifle but I'm not separating the sight......1886 tang sights are semi rare......it's not money spent as at that price you can get your money..and more...back within a week.....I'm serious...told Gunny the same thing with the 25-20. I ain't waiting forever....This is guaranteed to feed, function and shoot excellently...no fear of j.u.n.k....

Look at that wood to metal fit! This is my nicest 1886 except for the 45-90 EX-Lwt-TD

Oh! Your prize for 133.....I have another hatchet just like the one I awarded GK.....they look almost like twins...

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh I don't blame you buddy. Only a fool doesn't capitalize on his investments. Yes....I am a fool. :D
If I didn't have to buy a stupid truck (which I hate to do), I would definitely be buying stuff. The thought of spending that much money on something to drive makes me sick. :cry:
Just can't make it with mine. And the wife's rig is just as old.
I still may buy something, but it probably won't be for that much cash. Unless I sell my 45-90 first. I would make a FAT profit on that. On the surface, it doesn't look smart, but I would probably use the XLW. I don't use that big rifle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Beepity bop Kamala Harris smells like an old sock. :D

Now...OK..I "axed" yo....wouldn't you be pizzed if I didn't tell you first? You won't see me advertise anything here......or very little......it's like a corn field straight to the ATF...you know....too many ears....."I want to report Sixgun for selling an antique gun and he sold it to a guy in a communist state.:D ....and if the corn field don't get me the potato field will.....lots of eyes......then strrrraaaaiiiiggghht to the phone! :D Ha!.....sad, but that's how 90% of people are...they get jealous if someone else has something nicer....

THIS IS THE TRUTH....John Amber, the longtime Gun Digest editor wrote in a Gun Digest long ago after weaseling a guy out of a high end gun for .40 on the dollar.....his words, "Ha, I got the bas]+%d good on this one". And John was a man who had lots of loot.

Just drop em off at the auction house...they take 20% of the first thousand then 10% over a thou. Then there's a few different auction houses I have dealt with.....one is good for cheapy guns...like $50-$500 guns....all the potential buyers sit around chewing tobacco and drinking beer, spit on the floor, f.art, dirty hats with a Red Man logo, kids with dirty clothes on running around, concession stands that sell month old pretzels and pop corn the movie theaters don't sell, all rusty pick up trucks outside with klan stickers....(you guys have any places like that?).......then there's another for the expensive guns. They take 20% but it's nationally advertised with color photos...similar to Rock Island......these guys will get the high end Colts and Winchesters.....

Check this out...this book is from 2015....yea..SEVEN years ago...and it was written the year before....

I tall ya Jay...it's a party and good times everyday. -----00

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I figure mine is worth between 35 and 3800. I've had it over 20 years I think. Only 86 I have.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Never saw it before in pics.....is it the pre lightweight heavy version? I got a couple of them and they weigh 10 pounds but Lordy, do they shoot!.....one is a 40-65 and has dense wood..weighs 11 pounds.....people used to carry that stuff...they must have been stronger in those days..or dumber... :D

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. It was made in 1888. I postedva pic of it on this thread not too long ago.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. I posted a picture of it on pg.84. The night we posted a bunch of old Winchester pics.
Makin everyone hate us. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow....I was looking for it last night and after 14 hours of scrolling through every page I gave up......tried using the search......so I set the alarm for 6 this morning and started re-scrolling, even rereading your posts in case you left a clue...nothing...........

So...what happens? You tell me page 84! I scrolled right up to page 83 and when I hit the "forward" button for page 84, I hit 85 by mistake and that took me another 11 hours....

I'm worn out bro. ....I have your guns twin.....same way of aging, same patina....mine has a shotgun butt.....also made in 1888.......#29189...we close bro? ...
Heavy octagon 45-70...mint bore....I have close to 3,000 rounds out of it.....all easy 1,000-1,300....

Well ... the weather is nice today and after being near house bound for 3 days from rain, wind, and cold, I'm headed out tide. :D

Do you know why "some people" wash their clothes in Tide?......Because it's too cold out tide....

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....never could understand that.....it's not everyone but still many who feel that way.......when my buddy Gary comes over to run his mouth on a new purchase, I'm all over it....taking pictures.....like this one a couple of months ago...ahh....can't find it but it's an '86 with about 95% colors...original......

Hey! In your pics I see a '94 with a pistol grip......is that a deluxe or a 64?....

Where the heck is Gunny??? Come on Gunny!......not many people more than me that have been p'ed off for one reason or another......usually brought on by myself ... :D ......and I keep posting......I usually get over an "incident" in about 3 hours....I ain't gonna let anyone take my happiness away....I'll spit in their face first if I could and give them a vertical buttstroke.....if..they are smaller than me!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey man. Haha I do that too when I'm looking for stuff.
Mine is a standard crescent butt. Ser.#27318.

No, it must be a 64 in that picture. I do t have any Deluxe 94s. I actually don't like pistol grip stocks. I only have those 64s because I got em all cheap, and it's what my grandfather carried. The only one I actually use is factory hybrid made from an early 94, so it has a straight crescent butt. The straight grips are a more natural pointers for me.

Yeah, I think Gunny is pretty ripped. Sucks, he's a good guy, and I miss him around here.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Jay...ive been out "swampin'".....going over the ditches I dug last year and removing lots of little clogs from leaves.....I am OUT of shape.....had to stop every 15 minutes for a 30 second break.......

64's never did anything for me....I used to turn my nose up at them for $500 for a 95% er....had it been a 25-35, 219 Zipper, or a carbine I would have bought it......only one I had was a first year (1931?) in 32 Spl and that thing shot. As usual, like all my guns it had lots of condition but I blew it out for $600....think I paid 3 for it....

I get a good laugh with the new collectors....."Ooooo, it's a J.M. Marlin!" .....S, they made milllions of em and will never be worth anything the same way any post war 94 won't be.....as soon as a price jumps, people start digging them out and the price drops for the another 5 years....

Some years back I appraised a collection for an auction house and it brought $750,000...(this is done so the auctioneer will have an idea what it should bring).....in it was TWO LaMats...one was really nice and I appraised It for 18K and that's what it brought...the second was still nice but I put it at 10K.....the auctioneer got a bit disturbed at me and said "why the difference?". I said there will be two people who really want a LaMat. so they will beat each other's brains in on the first one and the second less desirable one will go for half because the first guy already has one and the second guy will get the bargain......and that's exactly what happened.

Me?....kept a low profile on an '86 carbine......other guys were asking me what I thought and I said it was restocked because it had a shotgun butt on it.....and that's why I got a 12-14k gun for 28c's. :D ---00

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

B31FD879-4D80-47E0-8C73-2FF2CEA1D882.jpeg
Beautiful Jack! So I was playing with my rebored 38-55 carbine yesterday and today. 262 grain cast bullets from a Lyman mold to sing 3031
First is 31 grain 3031.
Then 32.0 grains
B31FD879-4D80-47E0-8C73-2FF2CEA1D882.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

So I tried 31.5
FD0C238B-3CF6-44FF-8709-2C165C1CD1C7.jpeg
This is day two that 31.5 wins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah. I have 3 nice 64s. One is a SHORT RIFLE (I saw how you threw that "carbine" in there. :D ). I've never fired any of them. I know that 64s are shooters. I like to play with that straight grip one. The factory put some time in that one. It's a 32, and shoots like nobody's business.

Hey FW,
Nice! You know, an old timer once told me what to do with the 38-55. It was probably 30 years ago and there wasn't a lot of info. I had just got my first one.
He told me to load up any bullet, and start with 30 grains of IMR3031. He said it don't matter if it keyholes. Then start working up a half a grain at a time. At some point, it will go from completely useless to chewing a ragged hole in the paper. He was right. It seems to work with every rifle, regardless of how the bore looks (within reason).
Looks like you got it buddy. It's one of my all time favorite cartridges.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Jay. I hit on the 31.5 grain load yesterday but to be sure I backed it up today. I shot them ladder style so each shot on an individual target was actually the third shot since last shot at that target. My 1894 rifle prefers 32.0 grains of 3031. The guy who rebored that barrel charged me $120 bucks
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Those are 6 shot groups and I called that flyer as soon as I pulled the trigger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good shootin bud. Looks like you got it. Two of my 38-55 rifles hit it at 31.5 too.
If I wanted to lighten it up, I think I would abandon 3031 and go to 5744.
My carbines I'm not sure about. I haven't worked with them enough to really zero in on a good load. I used 3031, but with the 220gr Hornady bullet for the 375. I was just being lazy. It shot ok, but nowhere near what they should. The bullets are too small in diameter IMO. I have an RCBS 255gr GC that will bring those babies in tune. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well the 38-55. I have a short one, a long one - cases I mean, and a 375 Win all in a JM Marlin, the same JM 79 vintage, that was a good year as you all likely know. They chambered them for the 38-55 long case.

Now as you see I really put the rounds through this one. Range is 100 yds except the one marked 50 yds. You will notice the Win factory stuff shot very well. Maybe Double Ought can tell us what is in them. This has a 1.75-6x Leupold on it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I tied the much touted Unique loads and blech. No bueno. So I tried the 3031. I still want to see about a load with 5744 but I need more bullets. Fred I have a Winchester rifle, this carbine, a 1893, and a Marlin in 375 Winchester.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Marlin of course has a tighter bore tha some Winchesters. Paco wrote an article on the 38-55 that is worth a read. He was loading it up quite a bit.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

This was Rebored with a .375 reamer so I tried .376,377, and 378 but 377 was more consistent. I actually enjoy the Marlin the most as I use 10 grains of Unique in it and it is nice to shoot. Wind suggested that load to me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tommy...the 38-55 is no different than any other cartridge......the bullet has to fit the thoat and be a thou or two over. Factory ammo is only around 1100.....nothing beats 9 grains of Unique the same way nothing beats 11 grains of Unique in the 45-70...it's match velocity and does not break the sound barrier and if a rifle does not shoot with that load, something else is the matter.

You just got lucky or it was coincidental of the 31.5 gr. load.....the sun may have been different, your eyes may have sharpened up, the bore warmed up, or the previous shooting fouled the bore the way that rifle likes it....1/2 grain difference is never going to make a group shrink unless it's a blue printed match rifle.

You need to shoot a series of groups...at least 10 of five each, under the same conditions.

I've won more than my share of 300 yard matches with the 270 NEI g.c. over 21 grains of 5744 with the Marlin 1893 against single shot Sharps rifles.

For load development use a tang sight or a forward mounted scope and loosen up anything that touches the barrel. ......and a nice flat tipped dull front sight.

3031 in a straight walled case at low velocity in cold weather will sometimes give you wide variations in velocity, especially if the alloy is soft and the bullet is groove diameter or under....

Good bye and wash your clothes in tide.---00

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is in a Rem Mod 7 in 7-08. You may note I did a little more work with this one. You may also notice the group deviations with even loads vs odd weight loads. The bullet to look at is this Barnes XLC. Even no bueno :wink: odd right on :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I never knew this........why screwdrivers have the grooves on the handles.....I thought it was for gripping the handle .....which it is also........a 7/8ths box or open end fits it perfectly so on a tight fitting screw you can push down with one hand and turn it with the wrench.--00

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was using a Burris 3-9x40 for load development. I was skeptical the first day of the vast difference in the results with h only a half grain of difference that but s why I went back and shot the second day, same results. I am not totally set blank n thank snload, as I said in the previous post I want to try some 5744 and some 4198. On your advice alone I will retest the unique loads.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

See that? We are never to old to learn. :D
I like the Snap On screwdrivers. They actually have a hex section on the screwdriver shaft itself. I have a bunch of Craftsman screwdrivers, but I find that I use my few Snap On screwdrivers a lot more.
I got the garage all turned back around and cleaned up yesterday. Dug the Jeep out and down off the jack stands. Haven't put it on the road yet, though.

Hey FW,
Yes...Unique defies all logic. It works with everything. I have used 10gr behind a cast 255 in my half magazine SRC with pretty good results. I shot a bullet from my factory Winchester mold. It wasn't the best choice, however. I think it was on the small side and leaded a little. I need to try the same thing but with my RCBS bullet. If I remember, I was getting around 1100fps, but I'm not 100% on that.
I tgunk I was getting around 1500 out of a 26" rifle with 31.5gr of 3031.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of the gun writers said his make anything go bang load for rifles was 14 gr of Unique.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

There he goes with those half magazine SRC's.......Hey Tom......tell Jay how often we see those half mag. SRC's here.

Now, on to business.....sunny...75...no wind.......put the mower deck back on the mighty Kubota last night.....that was fun...trying to get 400 lbs of steel across a sandy floor and under the tractor all all lined up.......

On why Unique works so well at match velocity......has a very high nitro content which makes it near non-position sensitive and impervious to cold temps......it's actually Bullseye with a slowing deterrent on it....I've taken apart many of the old factory loaded black powder cartridges which were loaded with the "new smokeless" and without exception, they were all loaded with a fast burning powder, usually Lightning which burns like 4227.

But ya know, some people continue to experiment with slow burning powders in straight wall cases with soft lead bullets......so at the club on a 90 degree day they work like a charm....then they go on a high dollar hunt in 10 degree weather and they stick a bullet in the bore.....(gas money is a high dollar hunt for me)

Speaking of the club, I just got a notice that this years dues went from $90 to $140....good, gets rid of the guys with their $1.99 AR's with steel cased ammo.

Now...go home and organize your screwdrivers!.......I have one of those big fat tools that you smash it with a big hammer to get out screws and high voltage impact screwdrivers....to hell with dat wrench on screwdriver thingy.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow!
I just paid my dues this morning. 30 bucks. Now, I'm sure our "facilities" don't look like yours.......but we don't have any range officer nazi's, and most times nobody else is there when you're shooting. There's even an outhouse if you have to pinch a loaf.

Yeah. That's what I love about Unique. I use more of it than anything. It isn't fussy, and I hate hassle. The temperature swings here from summer to hunting season can be extreme to say the least.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

"Pinch a loaf"???....that is f funny... :D never heard that before.....you must have a dooryard!....

Yea...we do have a nice club...it's actually the nicest club other than Ridgway Rifle Club that I've even been to......100 yd rifle range, 25 yd pistol range, 100 yd muzzleloader range, 100,200,300.385,and 500 meter range..(all in one)...then there's a shotgun range that's as big as a couple of football fields, an archery range that's just as big as the shotgun ranges, a "walk through" and a stationary sporting clays range.....(the walk through must be a half mile long and guys use their own carts, like Gunny has), a "walk through the woods archery range" with 15' platforms you climb up.

The club house has an indoor archery range and pistol range....air conditioned, heated with a full kitchen...like 6 bathrooms...

On the long silhouette range we have a hang out house about 28 x 40 that's heated and air conditioned with refrigerator (that I donated...thing ate up a lot of electricity) :D that has two bathrooms. On the long 500 meter range we have a nice road that we drive down and at each distance...200-500 mets we have steel animals (armor plate) that we shoot.

All of the grass is manicured by outside landscapers..I think it's about 150 acres...trout stream...

For 30 years I seldom went more than a week or two without going there and I was only there once last year and about 3 times the year before..Covid...

I'd pay $500-1,000 a year if they raised it....

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

"Now, on to business.....sunny...75...no wind.......put the mower deck back on the mighty Kubota last night.....that was fun...trying to get 400 lbs of steel across a sandy floor and under the tractor all all lined up...".... Holey Shamolies Six ... "Eye of the Tiger" . I'm selling all of my Gravely attachments as I can hardly lift any of them any more. the snow blower must weight 250 lbs. alone, the snowplow is over 150 lb . I will keep it as a backstop for the shooting range. Old is just old. :shock: .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

'BREAKING NEWS LEVERGUNNERS"........Joe Biden is impersonating Elmer Keith, who is masquerading as Sixgun who We know is a Russian operative that will destroy the Rossi Factory before it controls the world. and ALL of the crucial heat treating...Thank You doctor EVil.. more at 11.00. :shock: :shock: .
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I'm one for getting my money's worth out of everything......people are always upgrading getting new stuff and staying in debt along with it.....

Just because something is old does not mean it's no good....except for me, I'm old and no good.....heck, I'm still using rakes and shovels that I bought when we moved into the house 46 years ago......I got all my dad's tools and even a shovel from my grandfather that dates to the twenties.

Fired up Ole Yeller two nights ago...33 years old ...a shot of ether and voooommmmm....I run it every month or two and drive it around the old cow pasture out back.

And THAT my fine friends is how I buy nice Winchesters and Colts.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:22 pm "Pinch a loaf"???....that is f funny... :D never heard that before.....you must have a dooryard!....

Yea...we do have a nice club...it's actually the nicest club other than Ridgway Rifle Club that I've even been to......100 yd rifle range, 25 yd pistol range, 100 yd muzzleloader range, 100,200,300.385,and 500 meter range..(all in one)...then there's a shotgun range that's as big as a couple of football fields, an archery range that's just as big as the shotgun ranges, a "walk through" and a stationary sporting clays range.....(the walk through must be a half mile long and guys use their own carts, like Gunny has), a "walk through the woods archery range" with 15' platforms you climb up.

The club house has an indoor archery range and pistol range....air conditioned, heated with a full kitchen...like 6 bathrooms...

On the long silhouette range we have a hang out house about 28 x 40 that's heated and air conditioned with refrigerator (that I donated...thing ate up a lot of electricity) :D that has two bathrooms. On the long 500 meter range we have a nice road that we drive down and at each distance...200-500 mets we have steel animals (armor plate) that we shoot.

All of the grass is manicured by outside landscapers..I think it's about 150 acres...trout stream...

For 30 years I seldom went more than a week or two without going there and I was only there once last year and about 3 times the year before..Covid...

I'd pay $500-1,000 a year if they raised it....
Ok, you do have a NICE club. Ours is the largest in the Pacific NW....240 acres. I've been a member for 20 years when it barely had 2,000 members....mainly Fudds with shotguns and bolt actions. We used to have 4 relays at every silhouette match and if you weren't there 30 minutes before the start you didn't get a spot.

It's now become a 6,000 member, 1-2 year waiting list to join, tactical training center. There's rarely a full relay at the silhouette matches any more. IPSC, 3 gun, etc matches are always full.

If you want to compete in any shooting discipline you can find it on the calendar. https://tcgc.org/
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jdad wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:07 am NW....240 acres. I've been a member for 20 years when it barely had 2,000 members....mainly Fudds with shotguns and bolt actions. We used to have 4 relays at every silhouette match and if you weren't there 30 minutes before the start you didn't get a
It's now become a 6,000 member, 1-2 year waiting list to join, tactical training center. There's rarely a full relay at the silhouette matches any more. IPSC, 3 gun, etc matches are always full.

If you want to compete in any shooting discipline you can find it on the calendar. https://tcgc.org/
Thanks jdad.....I see from your writing that interest in the silhouette game is waning nationwide.....In High Power, it got so bad that the remaining 5 guys were included with our benchrest 1/2 scale game....THATS FUN.....we had new thick targets made to the same scale as pistol caliber silhouette. As expected most guys use that crazy Creedmore cartridge......it's not as easy as it sounds as the wind changes and we are on the clock........took three years with 30 guys using custom match rifles to get a 40x40. Best I ever did was a 32x40 using a stock Colt M-4 16" in .223 with a Nightforce NXS......even used the BAR one time....believe a 26x40.

Oh!...no rear rest....just the front one.
I have not done much of anything in the last two years as if my wife gets sick she's a goner....

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Six THOUSAND members? WTF? There aren't that many people in the TOWN our range is in. There is maybe a couple hundred in ours, but I doubt it.
Quite honestly, I wouldn't care to shoot at those big time mucky muck places. Too many people, whiners, and rules. When my kid was down in Virginia, he belonged to one and you couldn't shoot OFFHAND!? So, I guess unless you're a bench rest shooter, I don't see the point.
Most days at mine there is nobody else there. I really like the one my kid belongs to now on Kodiak Island. Very nice benches and a 500yd range. Both times I've been there.... not a soul. Perfect. I think the dues were about the same as ours. Thirty bucks. We only have a 200yd, at ours though. Of course, we don't have to be on the lookout for 1200lb bears while we shoot. Like us, his isn't plowed, so if you want to shoot there in winter you have about a mile of winching your Jeep to get in. He also has an insane cross wind. :D
I shot Jack's old 1895 in 35wcf there. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yep,Jayster your right on those "nothing but rules" clubs....one round at a time..etc.....there's one of those about 5 miles down the road and I'll travel 26 miles to ours......only rules we have is no full auto and no 50 BMG.

They leave it up to the members to police themselves......our club is capped at 1400 members....... our club brings in lots of money due to having competition every Sat. and Sun. and Wednesday night.......for competition, membership is not required....during the week it's common to have the range to yourself or one or two other guys....everyone is always well behaved....in over 40 years I have never seen an empty beer can.....it's even rare to see someone smoking.

For sporting clays the guys roll up in a big dollar pickup and a bigger dollar cart on a trailer .....whatever they call those things...Rangers?...

Like here on Leverguns, I'm the poorest guy at the gun club. The guys usually take up collections for cab fare so I can get home. I have an old beat up Rossi and when no one is looking, I'll switch out the Rossi for a like new 1886. Same thing with handguns. I'll switch out a Uberti with a Colt. When arriving I hide the Jeep in the woods the I'll walk all hunched over and the guys will come running down to carry my ammo and except for one hard gun case, I'll have empty gun cases that have rocks in them and sandbags....

They buy my lunch, pay my entry fees and give me clothes......which I just throw out the window on the way home.----0

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah right!
I guarantee you have more cash in your pocket than anyone else there. The rest of em are making payments on their socks.

Kinda like me, since I ordered that truck. :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

OldWin wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:46 pm Six THOUSAND members? WTF? There aren't that many people in the TOWN our range is in. There is maybe a couple hundred in ours, but I doubt it.
Quite honestly, I wouldn't care to shoot at those big time mucky muck places. Too many people, whiners, and rules. When my kid was down in Virginia, he belonged to one and you couldn't shoot OFFHAND!? So, I guess unless you're a bench rest shooter, I don't see the point.
Most days at mine there is nobody else there. I really like the one my kid belongs to now on Kodiak Island. Very nice benches and a 500yd range. Both times I've been there.... not a soul. Perfect. I think the dues were about the same as ours. Thirty bucks. We only have a 200yd, at ours though. Of course, we don't have to be on the lookout for 1200lb bears while we shoot. Like us, his isn't plowed, so if you want to shoot there in winter you have about a mile of winching your Jeep to get in. He also has an insane cross wind. :D
I shot Jack's old 1895 in 35wcf there. :D
It's never crowded and like Six's club there's no 50BMG or full auto, no more than 2 rounds fired per second (unless it's a match), no mag limits. I only pay about $200/year and the rules are common sense, but strictly enforced.....uncase and case all firearms at the bench (firearms must be cased entering any range), shoulder the rifle with the muzzle down not muzzle up and then shoulder, no more than 3 guests,etc. The biggest PITA is you must be within an arms reach of a guest when they are shooting, you are not allowed to shoot when a guest is shooting, and only one guest can shoot at a time. You're responsible for making sure they follow the rules. I hardly ever take anyone becuase the majority just want to do mag dumps with their AR's and pistols.

You'd be surprised how many members and guests do not understand what it means to stay behind the yellow line and not handle firearms when the range is cold. The RO's are polite, but if you're unsafe, argumentative with the RO, or just a DA you will end up at the monthly disciplinary committee.

Here's the monthly calendar of events https://tcgc.org/calendar/

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok jdad.....pretty much the same at our club...we are allowed one guest but I never take anyone except my son during a once every three year visit.......NOBODY will behave like a club member....plus, I know how most people are....they will spend a million dollars on some island vacation and scrimp on everything else.....one guy who's always asking me...maybe 3 times a year...."hey, I got this new AR, when you going to take me to your club?" Immalways "busy" when he asks because he drinks 3 cases of beer a week and dumps thousands into a Buick Grand National that's still junk 10 years after he got it......"ahhh man! I can't join, I'm broke".

You better believe it on the yellow line, muzzles pointed down range, actions open with flags etc,etc....I may play here and act like a jerk but at the gun club I don't play with safety....you can't take back a bullet once it starts going down the barrel.....

That Jay guy is full of it.....(on being broke) ....him and Kristy make the big bucks and live like me...small......he's got more toys than Toys R Us.....well, Kristy is quite a dresser .....the girl has class......Jay? He's got plenty of class too but he just don't show it. They both were raised proper.

HEY...HEY...JAY...(or whoever)....I pulled a Hitler two nights ago......our counter must have had 50 of those little tiny ants crawling around.........we get them in the spring....patio/sidewalk ants.........I had no idea how they get in as we have all brick......I usually spray Raid and it's good for a couple of weeks then they disappear in mid summer.....but there's always one or two around........well....I had enough...mom was climbing up my butt so I went outside and got my 35 horsepower drill.... :D ...the kind that will spin your body around if the bit catches.........drilled 6 holes (3/8ths) a couple of feet apart near the end of the cement patio, near the house. Then I mixed up a quart of bleach and a quart of vinegar....whew! clorine gas.....got a funnel and poured in equal amounts into each hole,....GONE BABY...GONE! I drilled through the 4" of cement into the gravel and I gassed em!

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha! Good ole Zyklon B!
I remember years ago you posting that you had a bunch of bees and you hitched up your shop vac and sucked those puppies right up.
Well! Old Jay ain't no common moron and I filed away that bit of redneck engineering.....
Couple years later, i got a cellar full of yellow jackets. Now, all my cool Winchesters and Colts are down there, so I had to do something. I found where they were getting in, and I got one monster of a shop vac, so......
Bingo! My old man laughed up a storm when he saw that one!

Oh come on now, buddy. You don't have to build us up.
You just happened to see Kristy when she had her teeth in and the light was bad.
And I'd listened to a book on tape on how to act all proper on the ride down there. It was a long ride. :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Something new this week, side charging upper receiver. Haven’t shot it yet .
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Kristy is NOT from Maine........if she was she would be like some of those babes at the Maine T Bar...or upstate Pa where they have to put 8 x 8's with 1/4" angle iron under the bar where they dance......

Well, I got more ag......cutting the back pasture I noticed an oil leak around the engine of the NEW Kubota that has 22 hours on it.....so I degrease everything and powerwash it........use the blower to dry it off.....wipe everything down real nice......pull it in the garage......fire it up......oil is leaking around the filter......no big deal......tighten it a 1/4 turn.....clean..degrease.....fire it up.....still leaking........degrease and clean and take the filer off and check for burrs or a piece of foreign debris that may have got between the oil filter gasket and the housing of the engine.......everything fine.....put it back on, add oil and fire it up....still leaking.......now I'm pizzed.........I come into the house and bite the dog...dog bites back....mom hits me with a rolling pin......

Degrease and clean...fire it up.....this time I look up under the shield and see a drop of oil coming out of the oil sensor......this oil sensor is one inch above the oil filter housing and gives the appearance that the oil filter was leaking.....

get a socket to tighten it up.......its 1 and 1/8 and I have a half dozen sockets for every size up to 1 and 1/2".....too tight to get an open end or box ......no 1 and 1/8" socket.......come back into house and dog bites me......gonna see if I can fit a piece of metal in a 1 and 3/16's socket to bite it a hair.....

Ok, I feel better b.s....headed back out to the garage. If I don't write nothing back in the next hour call the dog catcher for me.---006

OH! its guaranteed for five years but they don't pay for transportation...so an hour or two of wrenching it is easier than transporting it and picking it back up...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Try pulling it off and put Teflon pipe tape on the threads.
Maybe an O2 sensor socket will fit. They have a slot for wires. I don't think they are 1 1/8 though.
Good luck bud.

I gotta hit the hay. Have to take my parents to Portland tomorrow morning. Leaving at 0530.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK...thanks Jay....your right...has a lead on it.....it's the sensor that shuts off the motor if its low on oil........1" was considerably too small and 1 and 3/16 was too big.....I did manage to get it to turn in 1/2 turn with a pair of 45 degree pliers that are as old as Noah's Ark. seems to work.....dry.....but the real test will have to have a load on it at full rpm's which I'll do tomorrow.....if it's still leaking it shouldn't be too much trouble to unscrew it one or two turns then the rest by hand....clean it up and teflon it.....

I'm worried about screwing it in too tight......it has a boss on it that's about 1/2" and made out of aluminum and is integral to the block.....if I crack it, it's on me so I'll be looking at 4K to have it replaced with a new motor...don't know if it can be welded but it would be cheaper to pay the $100 transportation...

My dang trailer is 5' wide so the 60" deck won't fit and is a major PITA to take off.....not like the tractor where I pop off the driveshaft, front link and control bars, reverse the wheels and wheel it out....on cement....PITA on quarry dust that's in the barn.

Maybe I'll go down and buy a new 6' x 10 dump trailer and be done with it...

Yep! I must have sucked out 5000 bees with the big shop vac......still no ants with the Zyclone B.

My man! WE IS REDNECKS!----008. No shirts and ties for you and me....we wear spray painted work boots to our weddings. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Say hi to mom and dad...I miss mine terribly......they were the only people I could truly trust and they were always there for me through some difficult times.....they didn't judge me either.

Just for laughs pass some gas in the vehicle......just as you let one go, open a bottle of some sort and tell them I sent you some gas in a bottle and it's a gift from me... :D

Nice rifle Harry....I'm in a bad mood and don't feel like talking guns.......nothing personal .......

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes Harry! Very nice. Say what you will about ARs, they freakin shoot. They are just so easy, with very little fussing around.

Six,
I used to get ants like that in the spring too. It's very sandy around my place. A couple years ago I put that flex seal on my foundation below the ground level. BOOM! No more ants. Just like snapping a switch. Or Zyklon B. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Not a lot happening over here, shot a few Squirrels and seen quite a few Roe deer, even had four Mallard on the little pond.

I must make a start on getting some powder and primers for the .410, I can't find anyone local and with gas twice as expensive as yours I don't fancy too many long trips.

Easter holidays this weekend so everywhere down here on the south coast will be packed and I hate traffic jams.
IMG_20200414_143534.jpg
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.