There is no levergun as smooth as one

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

There is no levergun as smooth as one

Post by JimT »

that has been used for a hundred years or more.

A friend came to visit this last week. He had with him an original 1892 Winchester in 25-20. While the rifle (full octagon barrel) had obviously been used, it had not been abused. The action was slick, smooth and still locked up tightly. He had a bunch of loads that he was fire-forming from .32-20 brass. What a neat old gun.

I did offer to shorten the barrel for him but he was not amused. :lol:
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Re: There is no levergun as smooth as one

Post by Sarge »

My old '55 Texan is the by far smoothest operating 336 I've ever handled.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:19 am . . . I did offer to shorten the barrel for him but he was not amused. :lol:
I'd say cut it down AND make it into a mare's leg, and then he could put a laser sight on it too; great to keep under the truck seat... :o :shock: :lol:

I think an additional factor with the oldest leverguns may be the softer steel; that seems to wear more smoothly than the harder steel of the guns half that old. Of course the ones half that old have typically only had half the use so it's probably a combination of the steel and years of use.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:25 am I'd say cut it down AND make it into a mare's leg, and then he could put a laser sight on it too; great to keep under the truck seat... :o :shock: :lol:
yikes.JPG
(pertaining to the laser sight! :D )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

i have an 1892 made in 1917 chambered 32-20 wcf. I have not shot another levergun as smooas the 92.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

well my Rossi after 2 trips to a gunsmith, and working the action in front of the TV for ages, is about the smoothest thing out of the two rossis in my safe :D
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

There's still an long time empty spot in my own personal gun career? I've never had a Mod 86, 92, 71 action type Winchester. I've never even shot one, or even seen one around here! About 4 years ago in a Gun Shop about 3 hours from here, I held, druelled over a new Win Mod 1886, and especially because of it being what I think they call the Light Rifle, half mag, 22" or 24" barrel? I could've afforded it at the time, but after long consideration, 2 things made me put it back. The Stupid --s safety and it being in 45-70, which just does not interest me. I'll probably never have one, but I'd love to have an 86 in 33wcf but most of all, a 71 in 348, and I'd consider a Mod 92 in 44mag.
My 336 made in 1977, although getting slick, still needs a little work, but its close enough. Really, the rifle hasn't been used that much, and it's a jewel the way its sighted! I'd also like to have its twin in 35 Rem.
I know how special the 92's are, but for my use, if you was to sit one of each of the great Winchesters before me, my right arm would be fighting my left arm, one going for the 86 in 33wcf, the other the 71 in 348!
Definitely 24" barrels on either. I don't even understand someone considering cutting the barrel, shame on you Jim!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My 1950 Marlin 336A is mighty smooth, but the carrier is in Steve Young's hands for a heat and bend.
I agree a well-broken-in Model 92 is slick -- like a Model 66 can be.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Oh, and I forgot, I could sure use a 92 in 32-20, a very useful, interesting cartridge for around here. A "One does it all" around here years ago, even downloaded for squirrels! And one my favorite old people in the world who've I've went to church with for years, had a Mod 94 in 32-20, but naturally a relative got that rifle eventually. Sure would've liked to got that one!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Drawdown wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:57 am I don't even understand someone considering cutting the barrel, shame on you Jim!
In my defense I will state categorically that I have NEVER cut down an '86 or a Model 71! :lol:

I did own a cut-down Model 86 that had started life as a different caliber but was rebarreled by someone with a pipe wrench into a .45-70. But my Model 71? No. Never touched it with a hacksaw or file. :D
2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jim that's American Perfection right there!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

And I believe, the rifle with the story you told just a while back? Priceless!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Drawdown wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:13 am And I believe, the rifle with the story you told just a while back? Priceless!
Yessir.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Better photos ...
1.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
6.JPG
The rack from the Mulie I took with the .348
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, that is just a lovely Model 71. I have dreamed of having a .348 for years.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Jim, I just had a guy here from the neighborhood, who came asking-looking, for either a 94 or a 336, where he might find one. 🤔 wanted to buy either mine, LOL!
But I showed him these pics, never even heard of a 71. Iloaned him 3 books on the Win & Marlin history, and pointed out in it the 71! He knows I don't need anymore guns, but I pointed out, the 71 being #1, along with about 3-4 more, the only guns left I'd consider for myself! And I still want a Mod 94 in 38-55.
But HARDLY ANYONE around here even knows of the 71. Love the pics, I'm gonna keep them because the deer pics with them! Thanks!

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Well I just noticed. You kept the spent brass no doubt from the deer you killed with it? I thought I was the only one who done this. I've kept them from a number of special hunts, all way back to the 12ga hull from my son's first squirrel with a note rolled inside it with the details.
20220321_124114.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

20220321_124055.jpg
20220321_124051.jpg

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Yes .. that is THE cartridge! :D I only did it with this because it was a special rifle and a special deer.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

The 8pt rack, really special hunt, entire season. That's his she'd from 2 years prior, and trail camera pics of him, dated one month to the day prior to the day I killed him. No trophy but very special, and spent case holding the shed

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Agreed!