Where have all the Rossis gone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Where have all the Rossis gone?

Post by Old Savage »

Long time passing’, from the song of course.

Decided to check on the supply line there. Well, between Rossi, Taurus, Braz Tech and their complicated dealings few are to be found. Got mine between $300 and $619 but I see prices up to $950 now. So if you want a 92 style the next step I saw was $1025 for a “Winchester”.

With all the quality complaints that surfaced I have to say, none of that is apparent on the ones I have. And, contrary to the 45 Colt swapping ends the 45 Colt has digested heavy loads 360 gr at 1350 fps with no case swelling and feeds fine. They function smoothly and work fine. And you have Nate for support and work. In addition guys here have ongoing experience.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Re: Where have all the Rossis gone?

Post by JimT »

Prices for parts seem to be going up as well.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I sold mine fir $850, it had a $100 peep sight on it. Then I found out Marlins were going for even more. I almost felt guilty but the guy was happy to get it.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think more people are finding out that although the AR-15 is the new "people's gun", they are noisy and people aren't wanting to use scarce and expensive 223 ammo frivolously for 'fun' shooting. They go to the range, rationing their ammo, and see someone next to them shooting cast reloads by the dozen through a Win (or more likely Rossi) 92, or Marlin or Henry 1894, and having lots of fun with less blast. More likely women and kids participating as well.
Next thing they are buying a pistol-cartridge levergun.

Plus in some places, discretion - or even laws, may make it better to have your home-defense gun be a 357 Mag carbine than an AR-15. Certainly either one generally is up to the task.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Main problem is supply.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

For years people have been herded toward the 9mm/5.56 by the gun press, FBI, web media etc. Ammo for both was cheap in bulk and terminal performance was truthfully billed as 'good enough'. People consolidated on them in droves and now many are dependent on whatever ammo trickles out at scalper prices. Now I don't particularly dislike either cartridge; they just don't do anything I can't accomplish with something else that offers a lot more when you lean on the throttle.

I've had three Rossi 92s now and while they are--usually--decent rifles, each of them had quirks than needed corrected. I didn't have $450 in any of them and two were purchased new. As much as I'd like to have a 20" 44 mag, I can't bring myself to give $700+ for one.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:23 am Main problem is supply.
Shameless plug :mrgreen: shop here has a LSI Puma in 44mag fir $700.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

For $950 it better darn well not have the problems all the ones Ive owned have had. Poor machining, poor parts fitment, absurdly sharp edges.....
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, you won’t know because you have to get it on line. Did you get a chance to look at those before you bought them?

Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I think Sixgun probably bought up all the ones that were available leaving everybody else with slim pickens….. :mrgreen:
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good for Rossi....I hope Rossi's get priced at $5,000 and gasoline goes to $100 a gallon.........

Everything is relative.......which means with all of the gas, diesel, along with ammo, primers, power, and bullets that I'm sitting on, I'll be a multi millionaire overnight.

A guy right now is on his way over here for a pound of Win 760 powder, and 2 boxes of 100 Hornady 35 caliber 250 gr spitzers....and 1,000 primers.......the word on the street is I'm better stocked than Cabelas for reloading supplies....guns are not sold at all to anyone no matter how much money they have..

Yep, war is good......it's all about the money that is to be made.......why should I feel guilty? Governments have been doing it for centuries, especially the U.S. Of A......I didn't cause the war or the shortages. .....I'm a capitalist.......lets the prices reflect the demand......

See Old Savage...yesterday you could have had an original 1892 in 32-20 for $2,000........today....$4,000......tomorrow? Who knows, it will be like buying a fresh egg during the Alaskan gold rush.------006
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I had two Rossi in 45 Colt, one of them had over 3500 rounds of mostly warm to hot loads shot in it
the other one maybe 1000 of the same loads, all with cast bullets, not one problem with either gun
and both got slick with use, awhile back i down sized so they left along with some more
But dang i wish i wpuld have kept all of them another year and a half!!! :cry:

ollogger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've bought more than one original 92 for less than that!
Granted.....it wasn't last week, but I would NOT pay that for a Rossi. Or the prices they get for the Marlins, for that matter. Ridiculous.
I guess it's one thing if you don't have one at all, but still.....
And I kind of disagree with the above statement about ammo supply, at least in my area.
The ARs and 9mms are the only thing you CAN get ammo for. Yes, It's more expensive, but it is there. Everything else is non-existent up here. I was in Cabelas down state last week and saw the first 30-30s I've seen in a store in 2 years. 27 bucks a box! :D
The time before when I was there the ONLY ammo there was 5.56 and 9mm. Some .308 ball.
I have seen a HUGE increase in people deer hunting with ARs in 5.56 here the last couple years.
I think if this keeps up people will stop paying these ridiculous prices for guns they can't get or afford ammo for.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

$2,000, but that was yesterday and yesterday’s gone. See here, I did you a big favor and created an awareness of the issue. You’re welcome.

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

My local shop had a 92 Rossi on the shelf last week.
Stainless 92, pre safety in 45 Colt for $750.00!
Condition was very good. One year ago, they were in the 400 range.
Personally, I'll stick with Winchesters and Marlins.
If Rossi 92 are that high, what will a pre safety Marlin or pre 64 Winchester go for!
Prices on everything are insane!! Most of the ammo seems to be coming back.
Unfortunately overpriced to say the least! No 38 spl. or 357 on the shelves.
Johnny
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:37 pm $2,000, but that was yesterday and yesterday’s gone. See here, I did you a big favor and created an awareness of the issue. You’re welcome.
You didn't do me no favor....I saw it today after turning on Fox News and seeing the unnecessary destruction to people, their homes, their pets, their infrastructure, their airports, and anything else it takes to live a normal life.

You know the old saying ..."s" rolls down hill".....well, in today's world "destruction spreads" so you tell me, Mr. "Why Can't We All Get Along" along with the moniker, "Mr Be Nice" how long do you think it's going to be before destruction reaches our shores?

It's always better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it....-----006

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

How's the time to think before it's too late.....better send those Rossi's to Nate and get em functioning. I can smell plutonium in the air.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You guys ;-) are posting be nice. I never said it.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:46 pm You guys ;-) are posting be nice. I never said it.
You guys :wink: are posting be nice. I never said it.

Jay Bird said it....I want him back.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What exactly did you do to get him canceled? I missed it and there is no record I can access?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And You never said it and I never said it but OW posts it in his sig line, so .., where did it come from.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 pm And You never said it and I never said it but OW posts it in his sig line, so .., where did it come from.
A friend in church told me that a; fake smile goes over better, than an honest frown!

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I loaded .38 and .357 all weekend. You cannot find ammo for either anywhere in this area.

You can buy all the .223, .308 and 9mm that your mule can carry, but no .30-30, .38, .357 or .44 magnum.

I may have to start loading .30-30 shells or just make do with my .357 Marlin.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 am I loaded .38 and .357 all weekend. You cannot find ammo for either anywhere in this area.

You can buy all the .223, .308 and 9mm that your mule can carry, but no .30-30, .38, .357 or .44 magnum.

It'll do most of what you want your 30-30 to do.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:47 am
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:43 am I loaded .38 and .357 all weekend. You cannot find ammo for either anywhere in this area.

It'll do most of what you want your 30-30 to do.
The .30-30 is for when I ride with the posse. We had a double murder the other night in Medina County and the Sheriff told me that I was always welcome to join in. I was sorely tempted.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:11 am
The .30-30 is for when I ride with the posse.
[/quote]

I understand. I have some ammo I can give you. If you want factory loads, send me an email and let me know what weight you want. Or I have handloads with 125 gr. JHP .. 130 gr. JFP ... 170 gr. JFP

I even have some Remington Accelerators if you want to mimic the 5.56 ...
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

JimT wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:46 am I even have some Remington Accelerators if you want to mimic the 5.56 ...
Now why would I want to do that when I have a perfectly good .30-30?? :D

I'm good on ammo Jim. I decided a long time ago to stick with 170 gr bullets and never had a reason to change.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:00 am
JimT wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:46 am I even have some Remington Accelerators if you want to mimic the 5.56 ...
Now why would I want to do that when I have a perfectly good .30-30?? :D

I'm good on ammo Jim. I decided a long time ago to stick with 170 gr bullets and never had a reason to change.
I understand. I chose the 130 gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullets for my Trapper. That's mostly what I load. Plenty for deer. I load the 170's also. Accurate a long way out.

The Accelerators are good if you want to drill holes in steel.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Accelerators chronographed 4300 fps in my Model 70 30-06.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Everything is going crazy...gas officially hit $5 right down the road. Meats at the supermarket have doubled....I feel for the working family.....life is hard enough and small kids don't understand what's going on and will wonder why small luxuries in their life will soon be out of their life....

Don't think I saw 10 cars going down the road...and it's a workday.....

Lets give our thanks to all of the college professors and liberals who want to save the planet.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:04 pm Accelerators chronographed 4300 fps in my Model 70 30-06.
That's screaming down the road! The 30-30 Accelerators are listed as 3400 ... out of my Model 94 Carbine they ran 3250 ..
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:04 pm Accelerators chronographed 4300 fps in my Model 70 30-06.
We chased a nutcase some years ago who ended the chase by lighting himself up with one of those. Pretty spectacular.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I miss those sub-$500 Pumas. Had them in .357, .44WCF, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. They all treated me well. I think it was my fading ability to do good work with the buckhorn sights that took its toll, although I put Nate Kiowa Jones safety peeps on a Mare’s Leg and one of the carbines and did pretty well with them, so shame on me. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sarge wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:32 pm
We chased a nutcase some years ago who ended the chase by lighting himself up with one of those. Pretty spectacular.
I guided a lady on a Javelina Hunt who used those in her .30-30 Model 94. She whacked a Javelina at 89 or 90 yards. It stood up on its hind legs and fell over backwards. Insides were mushed. I have some but keep them for "look at these" value.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a box of 30-30s.

And some recent Rossi values from the “net”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Rumble.com/ hickock45
southfork
Levergunner 2.0

Post by southfork »

If you think finding 30-30 or 357 Mag ammo for your lever action is difficult today, then try finding 480 Ruger ammo! Our family has a new-in-the-box Rossi Puma Model 92 that I recently found in storage, and I don't think its 480 Ruger ammo is even being made anymore? Hopefully its only on a long pause until all the 38 special, 357 Mag and 30-30 manufacturing backlogs are caught up. But if not, I guess reloading with cast bullets can be done, and at the same time the shoulder busting can be tempered by loading it down a little. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

southfork wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:49 pm If you think finding 30-30 or 357 Mag ammo for your lever action is difficult today, then try finding 480 Ruger ammo! Our family has a new-in-the-box Rossi Puma Model 92 that I recently found in storage, and I don't think its 480 Ruger ammo is even being made anymore? Hopefully its only on a long pause until all the 38 special, 357 Mag and 30-30 manufacturing backlogs are caught up. But if not, I guess reloading with cast bullets can be done, and at the same time the shoulder busting can be tempered by loading it down a little. :wink:
With cartridges like that (for me, it's 218 Bee, 32-20 Win, 17 Hornet, 375 Ruger), you have to just use places like AmmoGuide.com, and snatch up loaded rounds or brass wherever and whenever you can.

Then get some good reloading dies (I like the Lee Factory Crimp setups) and ANY press (for low-volume even the good old fashioned 'single-stage' presses work JUST FINE). Check out sites like AmmoGuide.com for load data and commonality of powders, and start snatching up primers and powder and bullets when you see them.

Then you're good to go.

As a kid, I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk (or rather, my Mom did, for me), and later a Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum. I couldn't afford factory ammo much, so bought a Lee 'Mallet' reloading set (the 'Lee Loader') for $15 or so, and without any other fancy reloading stuff, started reloading my cases with store-bought primers, powder, and some bullets I bought plus some I casted out of lead I scavenged from wheel-weights mostly, a dozen or so at a time. It CAN be done.

When you do see a chance for a case of 1,000 rounds of ammo, or 1,000 brass cases, you'll have sticker-shock at the price, but hopefully have saved up enough money by reloading and shooting frugally, that you'll be able to buy what you want then.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Southfork, that 480 Ruger Rossi is one of the most rare of its kind. Even if you have to hand load, take care of it. Regards, -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Pat C »

I like this much better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I stopped by my local shop this afternoon. They had 15 different brands of 308 ammo, along with overpriced 9mm.
500 round boxes of Winchester 22 cal. for $45.00 bucks!! Wow!
They had a few nice S&W in stock including a nice 17-4 with I think was a 6-inch barrel for $725.00.
I had to walk away with food and gas going thru the roof!
No Winchester, Marlin's lever in stock! Perhaps 20 Henrys available.
Johnny
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I found 22 long rifle at that price I would snatch it up quickly because that's a lot less than it cost when I was in high school...!

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflat ... 1?amount=1

Nine cents a round for 22 long rifle is really good compared to the two cents a round it was 50 years ago or so; just about kept pace with inflation.

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I ran across 2 Rossi 92s, a .357 that was $850 and a .45 Colt that was $750. They also had a Marlin 1894 original JM model in .44 mag that was $800.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”